2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

This board today:

If we get Shattenkirk: "Shero is an awesome GM, he has made moves that will benefit the team greatly. Also, Nico = Crosby. Our joy is only trumped by our infinite patience."

When we didn't get Shattenkirk: "Shero has never done anything good, and by 'anything good' we mean 'he didn't get Shattenkirk.' Also, Nico isn't the answer, just a piece. Cup this year or bust.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This board today:

If we get Shattenkirk: "Shero is an awesome GM, he has made moves that will benefit the team greatly. Also, Nico = Crosby. Our joy is only trumped by our infinite patience."

When we didn't get Shattenkirk: "Shero has never done anything good, and by 'anything good' we mean 'he didn't get Shattenkirk.' Also, Nico isn't the answer, just a piece. Cup this year or bust.

Well tbh I've been pretty meh on Shero for a while. Outside of Palmieri and Hall, he's been pretty mediocre.

Just now, CarpathianForest said:

Well tbh I've been pretty meh on Shero for a while. Outside of Palmieri and Hall, he's been pretty mediocre.

Eventually you're going to have to accept that the NHL draft is the only answer the question of success. And it takes time. I'm excited, for the second year in a row, to see how our young players develop this season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

Eventually you're going to have to accept that the NHL draft is the only answer the question of success. And it takes time. I'm excited, for the second year in a row, to see how our young players develop this season. 

Outside of a few players our young talent isn't much to write home about. I'd much more prefer a team that is at least on the bubble than watch them be the doormat of the east.

I guess a lot of people had their hearts set on Shattenkirk, to the point where not signing him meant that the offseason is now automatically a disaster, Shero's a lousy GM, and the ownership sucks. 

I'm not upset mostly because (though I would've liked to see the Devils land him) I just didn't think the guy was coming here.  Like others have noted, Shero tried.  Shattenkirk wanted to be a Ranger and was willing to leave serious coin on the table to do it.  Shero can't do sh!t about that.  

I think what we need to realize is that, when we'll never be an obvious "sexy" destination like the Rangers, the Devils will have to build it, and hope they will come.  Right now to a in-his-prime top UFA, this is a team that, at the moment, is full of question marks.  Shero and Co. are going to have to build a solid base of prospects and build a foundation, then hopefully have enough of them that he can make deals for needs. Shattenkirk signings aren't going to be the way this team gets to the next level...not yet...think more Larsson for Hall type deals, complementary UFA signings, and solid drafting.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

What concerns me is that while Hall still has three seasons on his deal, it's really this year and next, because you CANNOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, let Taylor Hall walk away for nothing. You need to convince him things are headed in the right direction real fvcking soon, or he's gonna wanna go someplace he can win. So maybe that's a little bit of paranoia on my part, but I believe this to be a real concern until proven otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What concerns me is that while Hall still has three seasons on his deal, it's really this year and next, because you CANNOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, let Taylor Hall walk away for nothing. You need to convince him things are headed in the right direction real fvcking soon, or he's gonna wanna go some place he can win. So maybe that's a little bit of paranoia on my part, but I believe this to be a real concern until proven otherwise.

This. You gotta get pieces to supplement your best player. I'm afraid that we're going to spend the next few seasons treading water and Hall will walk. He's been there done that with a terrible team that couldn't attract anything. I'm pretty sure he's not going to repeat that.

Pierre LeBrun on TSN: max the Devils were willing to go on a Shattenkirk deal was 4 or 5 years. Didn't want to spend big & regret it later.

Was just gonna post that. Interesting, and even though I really wanted to sign Shattendouche, that makes me feel a bit better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What concerns me is that while Hall still has three seasons on his deal, it's really this year and next, because you CANNOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, let Taylor Hall walk away for nothing. You need to convince him things are headed in the right direction real fvcking soon, or he's gonna wanna go some place he can win. So maybe that's a little bit of paranoia on my part, but I believe this to be a real concern until proven otherwise.

Who knows how things look in 3 years. I certainly hope Nico, Zacha, McLeod, and some of the other young guys have taken significant strides by then. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This board today:

You forgot to insert "BRIGHT LIGHTS BRUH" a hundred times. Otherwise you've got it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well to be fair- if they're judging NYC against Newark as the basis for their decision that's stupid- you can live anywhere you want in the Metropolitan Area and play for the Devils. The players don't live in Newark. Most of them live in Hoboken or Jersey City, which allows you access to NYC anytime you want with a two minute PATH ride. Now- sadly, a lot of hockey players are low-IQ, slow on the uptake half-mongoloids when it comes to intelligence, so I wouldn't be shocked if some of them actually did base their decision to go to the Rags over the Devils solely on a comparison between Newark and NYC. 

I'm with you, what I meant was more about choosing to play at the garden too.  We can pick it a part all day long but I think in most players minds the choice is pretty obvious.  Whatever though nothing we can do to change it.

Re: shattenkirk - if you read various reports on twitter, HE basically made it so the Rangers had to sign him. He took as little as possible while still getting a decent contract to where they said, fine, we'll sign you. 

He wanted to go there. Devils did everything possible. Unfortunately, Zacha, McLeod and Nico are gonna have to be real good real fast to keep Hall in the fold after this contract is done. 

Franson isn't sexy but he should be solid enough. I think Ray has to hit a home run w/ a Rico for Dman swap. 

And Severson has to really take that next step. 

Can these things happen? Yes - but it's a lot of ifs and that is not a good philosophy to have. 

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

Re: shattenkirk - if you read various reports on twitter, HE basically made it so the Rangers had to sign him. He took as little as possible while still getting a decent contract to where they said, fine, we'll sign you. 

He wanted to go there. Devils did everything possible. Unfortunately, Zacha, McLeod and Nico are gonna have to be real good real fast to keep Hall in the fold after this contract is done. 

Franson isn't sexy but he should be solid enough. I think Ray has to hit a home run w/ a Rico for Dman swap. 

Can these things happen? Yes - but it's a lot of ifs and that is not a good philosophy to have. 

This would be threading the needle.

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Was just gonna post that. Interesting, and even though I really wanted to sign Shattendouche, that makes me feel a bit better.

Regret it later?  After there's a new CBA which will almost certainly include a compliance buy out the last years on the deal were really bad?

And what the hell are they expecting that McDavid and Matthews are going to be free agents all the sudden?

At some point Shero is going to have to take off the diapers and bring in some people that aren't washed up wastes of roster spots like Lovejoy and Boyle.  Either that, or the strategy really is to keep tanking and all those people who said that Harris is running this team exactly like the Sixers are right.

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's only been 2 years since he's taken over. No gm was going to be able to clean up the mess that was left here that quickly. 

True, but we went from one GM that got in the habit of signing has-beens to a GM who has been in the habit to doing very little or nothing to improve this team.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Regret it later?  After there's a new CBA which will almost certainly include a compliance buy out the last years on the deal were really bad?

And what the hell are they expecting that McDavid and Matthews are going to be free agents all the sudden?

At some point Shero is going to have to take off the diapers and bring in some people that aren't washed up wastes of roster spots like Lovejoy and Boyle.  Either that, or the strategy really is to keep tanking and all those people who said that Harris is running this team exactly like the Sixers are right.

It took a lot of obvious tanking, but the Sixers have a pretty bright future. A few guys can change an organization in basketball - that's tough in hockey.

I know that there are a few people on this board saying this frees up the younger players to take spots, but it's not like we're flush with talent. Stacking a team from top to bottom with a bunch of rookies and call-ups isn't going to do much but put Ls on the sheets. At least with FA and trades we can bring on proven commodities.

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

True, but we went from one GM that got in the habit of signing has-beens to a GM who has been in the habit to doing very little or nothing to improve this team.

Wtf are you talking about? You can't just discount the Hall and Palmieri moves and say he's done nothing. There's only so much he can do. If UFA don't want to sign with Devils it's not on him. Nor is it his fault there's not a whole lot of valuable pieces he can trade. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wtf are you talking about? You can't just discount the Hall and Palmieri moves and say he's done nothing. There's only so much he can do. If UFA don't want to sign with Devils it's not on him. Nor is it his fault there's not a whole lot of valuable pieces he can trade. 

I'm not discounting the Hall and Palmieri deals at all. So great, he's made two good moves. But for every Hall and Palms you get you have two Boyles and Lovejoys. I mean the guy took Moore over Schlemko. BTW the Palmieri deal would never have happened if the Ducks weren't already stacked making it difficult for Palmieri to crack the top 6. Shero didn't fleece the Ducks. Palmieri was traded for based on potential. That trade could have gone either way. Shero wasn't playing 11 dimensional chess there. In addition, we didn't get Hall for nothing. We lost one of our best D men to get him.

Edited by CarpathianForest
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

but those are two pretty damn good additions in two years. We were in such terrible shape when he took over, I give him a passing grade so far. That said, he has cooled off of late, I didn't like our 2017 trade deadline and I am disappointed in our offseason so far (other than winning the lottery which is nothing Shero did).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

It appears the Devils really didn't try to go all in for Shattenkirk per LeBrun.

Zacha shows no signs he'll be any good.  He'll be Conte's legacy while Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen and Barzal are stars in this league.

I'd like to be high on McLeod, but he was also one of Conte's hemnchman's (Claude Carrier) top prospects that year, so you know he'll be underwhelming.

It's time to give up on the fantasy that Severson will be this great defenseman.  He's regressed two years in a row.  Sorry, he ain't gonna be Roman Josi.

Franson is terrible.  I seriously doubt that every other team is somehow missing out on that hidden gem.

There's Nico.  I'm sure he'll be a good player, but so are Hall, RNH and MacKinnon and they have all proven not to be nearly enough to make a team good with little help.

Look, the bottom line is that us is a team that figures to have Ben Lovejoy start 82 games and get 18+ minutes of ice time a game.  Colorado wouldn't even have any use for him.  

It's gonna be a long season.