2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

1 hour ago, DevilMinder said:

Did anyone else see that shattenkirk has guaranteed pay in the 2020 lockout? That it's even on the minds of players is bothersome.

I have never heard of that, I am surprised it is allowed to guarantee compensation to a player in the absence of a cba

I don't know who is out there to offer sheet. I guess a trade is still possible, but Henrique is still the consensus guy on the chopping block if we do get a trade and I don't think he will bring back a top 6 or marquee defenseman. We're kind of in a pickle if we do trade since Henrique is good for 20+ goals and is one of our better two way players.

Edited by CarpathianForest

29 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

So, I'm on vacation with the wife and haven't followed ever since we Shat the bed (haaaaa get it?). Anyone here with any realistic options that are still out there that we'll pursue tomorrow? 

Also, does offer-sheeting anyone make any sense at this point? we swung and missed on sh!tinkurk, i have to believe there are other options out there. Hard to say I'd be confident going into next season with Mueller as our 3rd defenseman. 

I like the 'Shat the bed'. It should be the headline on the Devils website (which without looking I presume is some ball washing, fluff piece article about Boyle).

imo when you are a bad team like we are, offer sheeting is just too risky, too likely that you are coughing up really high draft picks. We just picked 1st after all.

Here's a list of RFA that we could offer sheet: Ryan Johansen, Leon Draisatl, David Pastrnak, Victor Arvidsson, Mikael Granlund, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Ondrej Palat, Alex Galchenyuk, Tyler Johnson, Nino Neiderreiter, Mika Zibanajad, Alex Wennberg, Colton Parayko, Dmitry Orlov, Calvin De Haan, Andre Burakovksy, Justin Schultz, JG Pageau.

I do like the idea of going after Justin Schultz. He had very good numbers last year and would be a decent alternative for the Shat loss. Colton Parayko is another possibility. 

7 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Here's a list of RFA that we could offer sheet: Ryan Johansen, Leon Draisatl, David Pastrnak, Victor Arvidsson, Mikael Granlund, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Ondrej Palat, Alex Galchenyuk, Tyler Johnson, Nino Neiderreiter, Mika Zibanajad, Alex Wennberg, Colton Parayko, Dmitry Orlov, Calvin De Haan, Andre Burakovksy, Justin Schultz, JG Pageau.

I do like the idea of going after Justin Schultz. He had very good numbers last year and would be a decent alternative for the Shat loss. Colton Parayko is another possibility. 

Schultz is signed already

11 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Not happening

1 hour ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

Tell that to John Chayka, the man has a pair on him and he's only 28, first GM job he's held. He has reincarnated the dying Coyotes with his big moves and bold trades that look great future. Looks like Jim Nill is cleaning up Dallas legacy of trash with big moves too.

Shero should be at the top of his game with the decades of experience and multiple franchise and drafts behind him. This nothing burger offseason is a red flag on asking WTF are they doing in Newark? So is it going to be the New Jersey Oilers for yet another 5 years?  How do season ticket holders feel about the dragging agony of no playoffs 6 out of the past 7 years and this is the future moves? Ugh

Well everyone's frustration level is getting max'd out,I think because there were excellent opportunities to acquire better players and draft picks but now find out offers were poor, moves and trades were nothing but average at best.

as a season ticket holder i think i'm at the end of my tenure after this season. i don't think i can justify continually paying to watch an unwatchable product anymore. yes, this off season has a long way to go but lets be realistic there only trade chip is henrique and do we think he's bringing back a top 4 d-man? also, when hall gets traded because he rightfully won't sign an extension in a couple years the hall/larsson deal will look really bad. the playoffs are right now what feels like years away and with ticket prices and food rising and what feels like no hope in sight this might be it for me. maybe i'll be completely wrong come march but as of now it sure doesn't seem like i will be.

Edited by devils744

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Shero really busting hump here baby woooooo

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord

Devils announce signings of Fs Brian Gibbons and Bracken Kearns and D Brian Strait, all to one-year, two-way deals. $650,000 NHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out for a few hours and I was looking forward to checking back in to see what great deal we pulled off in my absence. 

This was JUST what I had in mind!!

12 minutes ago, devils744 said:

as a season ticket holder i think i'm at the end of my tenure after this season. i don't think i can justify continually paying to watch an unwatchable product anymore. yes, this off season has a long way to go but lets be realistic there only trade chip is henrique and do we think he's bringing back a top 4 d-man? also, when hall gets traded because he rightfully won't sign an extension in a couple years the hall/larsson deal will look really bad. the playoffs are right now what feels like years away and with ticket prices and food rising and what feels like no hope in sight this might be it for me. maybe i'll be completely wrong come march but as of now it sure doesn't seem like i will be.

I think the Devils are going to be very watchable this coming season - they just might not win a ton more games than last season.  But free agency/trading is not over.

In the wake of losing out on Shattenkirk, I don't know how many UFAs make sense.  I suppose Radulov, but that seems a lot riskier than throwing the money at Shatt.  Jagr on a 1 year deal maybe just to keep things interesting could work.  NJ has the money and the roster space to give him meaningful minutes again.  Otherwise, none of the D left are all too desirable, no one I'd want to commit several years to.  Perhaps Kovalchuk would play for the Devils for the right money, or maybe NJ could still flip him (Boone Jenner, Evander Kane, etc.).  We shall see.

For the record, my quote:

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Keep telling yourself that.

Honestly, which of you would turn down a multi year multimillion lucrative contract to play hockey near your hometown, for the team you grew up rooting for, in order to play for a team you probably hated, or at the very least, a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years. This is probably the culmination of a dream for him.

Why would you expect him to blow that off to sign in New Jersey?

Shattenkirk's quote:

“I know there was maybe some term and money left on the table,” Shattenkirk said on a conference call, “but when you have the opportunity to fulfill [a] lifelong dream like this, it’s an opportunity that may only come once in your career, and I felt like this was my chance.”

Yeah, I can't get mad at the Devils missing out on Shattenkirk - you have a number in mind in terms of length and money, and you make your best offer, and that's all you can do.  If they offered him 7 years at $7M and he turned it down, what are you left with?

The good news is that Shero hasn't signed an LHD just to sign one.  He needs to make some other moves this summer to be sure.  There's still time left to do that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I was out for a few hours and I was looking forward to checking back in to see what great deal we pulled off in my absence. 

This was JUST what I had in mind!!

Ha, I was at the movies and heard my phone buzzing.  Thought it might be Radulov  , a trade or something positive.  Just my brother saying nothing happened, and a friend telling me he posted something cool on Instagram.  Well, at least it wasn't the signing of Bobby Butler.

1 hour ago, Weekes Head said:

I've said it before,  but sometimes I wish we had a real a$$hole of a beat writer like Brooks who could get in Shero's face and ask him some real uncomfortable, but necessary questions, like do you intend to give your fans any reason to actually come to games this year, or even watch them on TV instead of Everyone Loves Raymond reruns. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I would absolutely sign Markov but I don't really see a purpose to doing that

The purpose is that we have an AHL level blueline, and he would make it slightly less awful.  I think the team is tanking anyway, so it defeats the purpose in that sense.

The fact that Shero ducked the media today makes me think that he still has something else he is looking to do before he talks to them.

I don't know what everyone wanted besides Shattenkirk.  I don't see anything else I wanted, anyway.  Galchenyuk has not been traded.  

Just now, Daniel said:

The purpose is that we have an AHL level blueline, and he would make it slightly less awful.  I think the team is tanking anyway, so it defeats the purpose in that sense.

I don't see any evidence that the team is tanking.  

Markov is 39, so I don't know what he would get out of coming to this team other than money.

• Like 1