2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The problem with you and Has's view on this ATM is that you both apparently set a deadline of 7/1 for Shero to have completed his key offseason moves.  If you see a trade made in the next couple of months for a "makes perfect sense" player that the Devils clearly had the assets to make but simply didn't pursue, then yeah, you can get on Shero. To put it another way:  other than Shattenkirk (which wasn't going to happen), who the player or players that you wanted to see Shero land?  For what?  It just feels like a lot of fans are angry at Shero in a very abstract kind of way right now.  

Honestly, the only defenseman that was moved that I would've loved to have seen us be in on was Sergachev, and who the hell did we have that would have compared to an offer of Drouin? No one.

I have one issue with Shero, I am not sold on John Hynes being the right coach for the team.

Regards to off season, there is still time to trade for another player, I am sure he is looking at some teams to ease their cap problems by taking a D-man for some picks and pucks.

13 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

A week ago: drafted franchise center, received high marks from almost all draft prognosticators on the rest of our draft class, as was the case for the previous two draft classes.

This week: miss out on dude that has been whacking off to wearing that disgusting new york rag since he was 11 and first saw jeff beukeboom patrolling the blue line... team is in shambles for the the next decade. management insulting fans.

Alright then!

you don't know that he is going to be a franchise center. You don't even know if he is going to make the roster next season on a team that lacks talent to begin with. Its not all about that you have to look at the big picture, they went on to tell us that they have a surplus of picks and made us to believe they were going to be able to acquire a player that would fill a need during the expansion draft... nothing happened, the better names in FA that were up for bid yesterday came and went again with nothing happening..you have to realize that there is a time line here for some of these players hall and Schneider who I believe is 31? already. Look at the big picture at how far out we are and the time line that some of these players have before we will either lose them or they will be on the decline by the time the rest of the team is together 

5 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I have one issue with Shero, I am not sold on John Hynes being the right coach for the team.

Regards to off season, there is still time to trade for another player, I am sure he is looking at some teams to ease their cap problems by taking a D-man for some picks and pucks.

Hynes was the pens AHL coach... another piece from Pittsburgh added here, you can't be surprised.. its getting to be kind of ridiculous with the amount of pens people/ players we keep taking in. We went from one good ol' boys club to another.

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

you don't know that he is going to be a franchise center. You don't even know if he is going to make the roster next season on a team that lacks talent to begin with. Its not all about that you have to look at the big picture, they went on to tell us that they have a surplus of picks and made us to believe they were going to be able to acquire a player that would fill a need during the expansion draft... nothing happened, the better names in FA that were up for bid yesterday came and went again with nothing happening..you have to realize that there is a time line here for some of these players hall and Schneider who I believe is 31? already. Look at the big picture at how far out we are and the time line that some of these players have before we will either lose them or they will be on the decline by the time the rest of the team is together 

Better name(s)? There was ONE FA that would've made sense to pursue, and he left MILLIONS on the table because he's a fvcking idiot and has been soiling his pants for his entire life at the thought of playing for one of the worst franchises in pro sports. Don't know what else Shero could've done there. As for not acquiring a player with the surplus of picks, yes, obviously it was disappointing but if you look around the league pretty much none of the defensemen we wanted ended up getting moved.

Additionally, the roster lacking talent has absolutely nothing to do with whether Hischier makes the team or not. They are going to handle his development on an individual level. If he should begin in the NHL then that's fine, and if he doesn't, that has zero bearing on whether he'll be our 1C or not.

There's really no reason to not think he won't be our 1C. All the prognosticators have him plugged as a 1C as well as our scouts and general manager. To think other wise is just being cynical. Will he not be as good as we hope? Of course there's a chance but I'm not going to sit here and worry about it until he gives us a reason to worry about it. For now I'll trust the people who know infinitely more about hockey than myself with regards to my expectations for him.

• Like 1

Did you want Shero to use 1OA on a defenseman? Or are you naive enough to think that drafting a defenseman in the second round has even the remotest of impacts on your franchise next season?
There is a lot of fvcking reasons to be hyped up. Mike Cammalleri and Devonte Smith Pelly will be replaced with Nico Hischier and Michael McLeod. I think Mueller was a solid, even if not spectacular, addition. SO many of you were moaning about Palmieri, saying "oh here we go we got a draft bust who never really put it together". SO many of you now own his fvcking jersey. 
This forum went from excitement to meltdown because Kevin Shattenkirk decided to take less money to play for his favorite team growing up. And now, on July 2nd with three months until the season begins, you want to say that Shero blew the offseason. 
This place is usually pretty level headed, but most of the posts yesterday and today are worse than the NJD Facebook fans we always mock. Some forum members, like Daniel - whom I've always considered to be one of the smarter people on the board - are slamming their fists saying we won't make the playoffs for a decade!
its a weird place right now and all I'll say is this; you motherfvckers have to own this. If you wanna go on record saying Shero is a moron GM because on July 2nd you don't like how the team looks, don't puss out when - 2 years down the line - this ship turns around. It will turn around; with or without all of your blessing. 

I don't care about being right. I care about winning. I'll gladly own everything I said with a giant-ass smile on my face if Shero turns us into a perennial contender. I ain't no expert. If I was, I'd be working in the NHL instead of posting here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don't care about being right. I care about winning. I'll gladly own everything I said with a giant-ass smile on my face if Shero turns us into a perennial contender. I ain't no expert. If I was, I'd be working in the NHL instead of posting here.

Yep, all fans in the end.  Think you're going to be pleasantly surprised in a couple of years myself...especially when we look back and realize just how much of a mess Shero inherited.  

• Like 3

I think Shero will take the Devils where they need to go, but he can't do it now. He has a game plan, and I know for a fact it is a game plan that works. Every team that is successful has homegrown talent. Our talent pool dried out a while ago and Shero is now building the Devils back up to where they need to be. Don't forget, he has another Ace Card which I am sure he is looking to play and that is the Kovalchuk card. Let's see how it all goes down and what kind of return we get. Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri were supposed to fulfill offensive roles and ended up becoming duds this last year. What if Shattenkirk did the same?

Come on Devils fans, I know the past few years have been tough, but be patient, it will get better.

Yep, all fans in the end.  Think you're going to be pleasantly surprised in a couple of years myself...especially when we look back and realize just how much of a mess Shero inherited.  

From your lips to God's ears CR... I just want to win. All that matters. This is a proud franchise, and it's meant the world to me since I was six years old. I want it elevated back to where it used to be, and where it should be: in charge of this fvcking league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

No need to cry about FA folks.

For the Devils to be contenders again, McLeod and Hischier have to be the franchise cornerstones. And if they are, all bets are on from there.

Have to remain patience. Hopefully the growing pains of Severson and Santini will pay off as well.

Hockey really is a long, difficult rebuilding process when you are down.

Smart trades are also helpful in speeding up the rebuilding process, not FA signings. 

Let's see what Shero has up his sleeve, trade wise, before we jump off a cliff.

Once again, it's really all about the one-two punch of McLeod and Hischier at C. If they bomb, the Devils will be stuck in the mud.

We shall see.

You can't expect people to have infinite patience and just point to draft picks though. Generally in pro sports you only have so much time before you have to win. One of his smart trades was Hall and that will be undermined all together and they will lose him for nothing or for a discount if they don't start improving on their results. They were very well positioned to improve with all of that cap space and all of those draft picks, Shero said so himself. Maybe trades of note will happen, if they haven't by now I wouldn't bet on it.

Overall I still support Shero and think he is a decent GM, but I do think he has underdelivered so far this offseason and expect some noteable improvement within the next two years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I think Shero will take the Devils where they need to go, but he can't do it now. He has a game plan, and I know for a fact it is a game plan that works. Every team that is successful has homegrown talent. Our talent pool dried out a while ago and Shero is now building the Devils back up to where they need to be. Don't forget, he has another Ace Card which I am sure he is looking to play and that is the Kovalchuk card. Let's see how it all goes down and what kind of return we get. Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri were supposed to fulfill offensive roles and ended up becoming duds this last year. What if Shattenkirk did the same?

Come on Devils fans, I know the past few years have been tough, but be patient, it will get better.

this is honestly a joke right? they were the two best players on our team. Hall is a playmaker with no one to a make plays with, I don't know if you watched any games last season but there were countless times he made a sick play passed the puck and his line mate was out of place. Palms scored what another 30 goals last year as well as the year before.. that makes him a dud? LOL there are a lot of issues with this team but these are almost the only two true talented pieces we have other than a few others.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

I wouldn't really say Hall and Palms were duds last season.  Palms' 2016-17 was pretty similar to his first year here, and Hall is clearly a guy who needs some help if he's going to be able to perform at his best.  These two should be good players for the Devils next season and beyond.

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord

GM Ray Shero says #Devils approached free agency with two targets: Kevin Shattenkirk and Brian Boyle.

GM Ray Shero says #Devils did not and would not have offered Kevin Shattenkirk a seven-year deal.

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

GM Ray Shero says #Devils approached free agency with two targets: Kevin Shattenkirk and Brian Boyle.

GM Ray Shero says #Devils did not and would not have offered Kevin Shattenkirk a seven-year deal.

the rest of the tweets

53 minutes ago, sokar said:

Lets face it Shattenkirk did not want to come here

I have no problem with what Shero did. I know that in 3 years Shattenkirk will not be worth it and every fan would want his head.

Edited by fsu1852

3 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

I have no problem with what Shero did. I know that in 3 years Shattenkirk will not be worth it and every fan would want his head. Next year FA class for defense is deep and he must strike then

Absolute nonsense. Both on Shattenkirk and on next year's FA class: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa  And then factor in that the most interesting guys (Carlson...yeah that's about it) will most likely be locked up beforehand.

36 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Absolute nonsense. Both on Shattenkirk and on next year's FA class: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa  And then factor in that the most interesting guys (Carlson...yeah that's about it) will most likely be locked up beforehand.

I was thinking of 2019 class.

Edited by fsu1852

Shattenkirk cost Washington at least one game against Pitt. He let a 40 year old Cullen steal the puck off him for a breakaway, then couldn't catch up to him...

A 40 year old centre...

Couldn't catch him..

does that sound like a number one defenseman to you?

Good riddance.

-Be bad to get good NHL rebuilds have no guarantees.  

-This could go on for 5 more years or more.  Or it could happen quicker.  But who knows.

- So just wanting 2 or 3 NHL players added to the roster for next year when I pay for and attend games and just wanting to see competitive NHL games doesn't make me unrealistic, fatalistic, or some sort of whiner.  If someone is going to charge me good money to watch their product the least they could is spend a dollar or 2 on actual major league players. 

Shattenkirk cost Washington at least one game against Pitt. He let a 40 year old Cullen steal the puck off him for a breakaway, then couldn't catch up to him...
A 40 year old centre...
Couldn't catch him..
does that sound like a number one defenseman to you?
Good riddance.

Hmm, not trying to sound snarky, but I have a feeling this won't be the attitude once we play a few games against the Rags this year. He's pretty sweet on the power play.

I'm not in the super pissed camp that we didn't get him. UFA gives players a choice. He just chose poorly.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

The sad reality is we're going to be at the bottom of the division again. It's just too strong right now. Shero made the right move by not signing any stupid contracts that are going to cripple us when it's time to try to contend. 

Send Hischier to Switzerland and keep McLeod in Mississauga for one more year.

Edited by Jerzey

51 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

-Be bad to get good NHL rebuilds have no guarantees.  

-This could go on for 5 more years or more.  Or it could happen quicker.  But who knows.

- So just wanting 2 or 3 NHL players added to the roster for next year when I pay for and attend games and just wanting to see competitive NHL games doesn't make me unrealistic, fatalistic, or some sort of whiner.  If someone is going to charge me good money to watch their product the least they could is spend a dollar or 2 on actual major league players. 

They tried to spend a few million dollars on a major league player. He didn't take it. 

No one has been able to answer what other moves were supposed to be made. 

• Like 1