2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

They tried to spend a few million dollars on a major league player. He didn't take it. 

No one has been able to answer what other moves were supposed to be made. 

They lost a RW.  So they couldn't replace the one they didn't sign?  So Nico centers Noesen?   

9 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

They lost a RW.  So they couldn't replace the one they didn't sign?  So Nico centers Noesen?   

Didn't realize free agency was closed and the trade deadline had passed. I imagine Shero makes a move to acquire a RW at some point, just be patient.

There's always Lappin and maybe Bastian with an extreme long shot of Boqvist to fill a RW spot. Again, I think it would be best for everyone if neither Hischier or McLeod saw more than 9 games next season. We're just not going to be good either way.

Honestly even looking through Albany's roster it's hard to find a RW.

Edited by Jerzey

22 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

From the article Maddog2020 posted:

Even after missing out on Shattenkirk, Shero still sees the Devils following the same approach they used prior to July 1.

"We're still looking for maybe a different element trade-wise in some trade discussions with teams, and in time maybe a spot for a right wing. We'll see in free agency," Shero said. "You have a little bit more time to sort through it once you get through the first day."

It seems like the Shero might know as much about the team needs as NJDevs, surprisingly. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

Lou still likes signing old guys I see. Good player, had a good year but to give a 3 year deal to a guy who will be 38 when the puck drops is ridiculous. Any year now he'll fall off a cliff like Iginla.

A copy of that contract should be mailed to every Devils fan who is wondering why we have sucked since 2012. Full NMC, 6.25 AAV for a guy who hasn't put up more than 50 points past two years on one of the best teams in the league. Lou should retire.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Thinking "that could have been us"....wow did we dodge a bullet. That's going to make things interesting in Toronto.

That couldn't be us though because our general manager doesn't do sh!t like this. It's specifically what he has done a fantastic job of NOT doing in trying to cut corners to make us competitive again. Yet this is what some people were essentially begging for last night!

like what is Lou's end game here? This contract is a massive anchor. Were they really a Patrick Marleau away from a Cup? Come on. He'd better hope Marleau doesn't fall off like basically every other forward in the league his age not named Jagr or else this sh!t is a huge joke.

do feel bad for Sharks fans though... he's their Elias. Gotta be a bad feeling.

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

Hmm, not trying to sound snarky, but I have a feeling this won't be the attitude once we play a few games against the Rags this year. He's pretty sweet on the power play.

I'm not in the super pissed camp that we didn't get him. UFA gives players a choice. He just chose poorly.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Nothing new to see here when we talk for months about wanting the guy, most willing to throw the bank at him he suddenly is a terrible player when he goes elsewhere.  I'm not super high on the guy either but he would of been a huge add to this roster still loaded with holes and hope to be's

1 minute ago, Steven M. said:

That couldn't be us though because our general manager doesn't do sh!t like this. It's specifically what he has done a fantastic job of NOT doing in trying to cut corners to make us competitive again. Yet this is what some people were essentially begging for last night!

like what is Lou's end game here? This contract is a massive anchor. Were they really a Patrick Marleau away from a Cup? Come on. He'd better hope Marleau doesn't fall off like basically every other forward in the league his age not named Jagr or else this sh!t is a huge joke.

do feel bad for Sharks fans though... he's their Elias. Gotta be a bad feeling.

It's been pointed out that this is basically a two year deal, given how the bonuses work.  He'll almost certainly accept a trade in the third year to a team that needs to reach the cap floor, or if he's sticking around it means the Leafs are bona fide Cup contenders and he wants to stay.  

The thing is that this is still not a great deal for 2 years because Marleau looks like he's a bit of a passenger on SJ these days and while he's not going to be asked to carry the load in Toronto, I don't know how I'd feel about paying for a 38 year old guy to maintain his goal scoring ability.  

It's been pointed out that this is basically a two year deal, given how the bonuses work.  He'll almost certainly accept a trade in the third year to a team that needs to reach the cap floor, or if he's sticking around it means the Leafs are bona fide Cup contenders and he wants to stay.  

It's still a terrible contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Even so it's a massive risk and one that was made unnecessarily. Toronto already had one of the better offenses in the league and now this year the kids will be one more year mature. What was the point in taking this risk on? I'd hate it if I was a Leafs fan.