2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Habs just signed Ales Hemsky to a 1 year deal for their right side, seems to indicate to me they're out on Radulov. Probably going to Dallas.

Bergevin seems primed to make a desperation move (Kovy?) with Radulov signing elsewhere.  Unfortunately they already moved Sergachev.  Does Shero just hold out for Galchenyuk?    

27 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Bergevin seems primed to make a desperation move (Kovy?) with Radulov signing elsewhere.  Unfortunately they already moved Sergachev.  Does Shero just hold out for Galchenyuk?    

How would moving Galchenyuk in a deal for Kovy benefit the Habs?

10 minutes ago, pattyelias said:

How would moving Galchenyuk in a deal for Kovy benefit the Habs?

Haha, I guess I didn't think that all the way through. Futures would probably be more likely since they seem to be in win now mode with Weber, Price, Pacioretty, Alzner all in their middle to late prime.  The general point remains the same though, Bergevin seems like he might be primed to overpay on Kovy after losing their second leading scorer from a year ago.       

4 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

That contract is gonna be a disaster in years 4 & 5

Re:  Radulov, it would have been so easy for Shero to say "Damn, missed out on Shattenkirk, let me throw most of that money at Radulov!"  So glad that Shero didn't make a UFA splash for the sake of doing so.  

Hopefully everyone who freaked yesterday now realizes you don't build solely through big UFA signings on 7/1.  Shero is really doing a fine job overall so far...no, of course not every move he's made has worked out, but no GM bats 1.000, and he's also shown some nice creativity to boot.  

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

New team, same Lou type moves

Re:  Marleau, he never misses games and started his career very young, so he's done a lot of compiling and has built up some nice quick-glance numbers, but I don't like bringing losers onto a developing team, and Marleau is a loser.  Totally the wrong guy for Lou to bring in.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

How in Christ's name did radulov get 5 years

Classic GM UFA stupidity.  Radulov spent his peak years in the KHL.  Don't really understand the overpayment, but I guess someone was going to do it.

Given we don't have much depth at right wing would it be worth signing Yakupov on a one year show me deal?

His numbers from last season on a stacked St Louis team are horrible, but could he be a good reclamation project? 

Also saw that Grigorenko wasn't qualified either. 

In terms of the back end Nikita Nesterov looks like an interesting project. 

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Given we don't have much depth at right wing would it be worth signing Yakupov on a one year show me deal?

His numbers from last season on a stacked St Louis team are horrible, but could he be a good reclamation project? 

Pre-STL stint, I'd have said yes but his ship has sailed.

I wouldn't sign Yakupov if he paid us. There's also the fact that Hall doesn't care for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What would people think of signing Markov for the 2 years he's asking?   I think it could be part of a good short term solution for the defense while Shero works to find more permanent long term guys for the backend.  

Also, given how long it typically takes for defenseman to develop, The other thing I would like to see Shero do would be to target D prospects who were drafted in '15 or '16 using Kovy or possibly Henrique as the bait.  Off the top of my head, I'm specifically thinking of guys like Dante Fabbro in Nashville or Jacob Larsson in Anaheim.   If we just wait until the '18 draft to start bolstering the backend, it's going to be a long wait until we're a serious contender again.      

4 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

We're not trying to recapture the glory of the Edmonton Oilers circa 2014, are we?

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn't sign Yakupov if he paid us. There's also the fact that Hall doesn't care for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus the situation where he pretty much refused to play the system in Edmonton and demanded to do his own thing. We have too many young players coming through. We don't need that garbage. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Plus the situation where he pretty much refused to play the system in Edmonton and demanded to do his own thing. We have too many young players coming through. We don't need that garbage. 

Obviously when you're a very high pick and still young, you'll get multiple chances.  Really scary how little he did with Second Chance #1.  Feels like he's on his way to fizzling out of the NHL in a year or two.

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Obviously when you're a very high pick and still young, you'll get multiple chances.  Really scary how little he did with Second Chance #1.  Feels like he's on his way to fizzling out of the NHL in a year or two.

Shades of Alexandre Daigle and Patrick Stefan, no?

I was actually thinking about Daigle when I posted.  Daigle at least was pretty good when he first went to the Flyers (his first second chance)...he had a way of doing just enough (either in the NHL or AHL) to get more looks...he had a pretty good year with Minnesota towards the end of his career.  Looks like Yakupov might not get Second Chance #2 as easily.