2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

EK(2.3% accurate) thinks Julienne Hough might want to sign here or NYI. With the loss of JJ's model wife I'd take her to fill the gap we have at very attractive blonde team wife. Since he says it's a possibility, she'll prob sign with LA.

jules-about-yellow.jpg

Edited by NJDevils1214

I've never been an Andrei Markov fan, his feet are starting to catch up with him and he's slowing down a lot, still has some good awareness and ability in the offensive zone but to my eye he's gonna come crashing down soon. Would be very disappointed if we ponied up a 2 year deal with a 6M AAV, it would be an awful move IMO

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

EK(2.3% accurate) thinks Julienne Hough might want to sign here or NYI. With the loss of JJ's model wife I'd take her to fill the gap we have at very attractive blonde team wife. Since he says it's a possibility, she'll prob sign with LA.

Yeah he played all of last season in the AHL and he's a center - I don't see it happening, sorry.  Keep looking for another hot blonde so we can sign her husband. :lol:

15 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Auvitu has signed with the Oilers. 

Unless Shero really has an unshakable plan on D, I don't get why we didn't have a spot for him. I can't pretend to be the smartest hockey fan, but I never got what Hynes/Shero saw out of him last year to warrant being put in the minors and not called up. Maybe he deserved a couple stints in the AHL here and there, maybe he's not meant to be an NHL regular, but I thought he was a good option to have on our team to use. Good speed, good skating, some lapses on D but great offensive instincts; not sure why we passed on him.

12 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Unless Shero really has an unshakable plan on D, I don't get why we didn't have a spot for him. I can't pretend to be the smartest hockey fan, but I never got what Hynes/Shero saw out of him last year to warrant being put in the minors and not called up. Maybe he deserved a couple stints in the AHL here and there, maybe he's not meant to be an NHL regular, but I thought he was a good option to have on our team to use. Good speed, good skating, some lapses on D but great offensive instincts; not sure why we passed on him.

From what I have read, he was often scratched in the AHL as well.  I think he just wasn't adjusting well and he was a bit of a mess in his own zone.

35 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Auvitu has signed with the Oilers. 

Damn, now that I have his game-issued McMullen night jersey (it actually wasn't that insanely more than a standard lettered authentic), I was kind of hoping that he might stick around and possibly figure some things out, though it didn't seem likely.  Oh well...I'm guessing he'll one of those guys who maybe eventually plays about 100 or so NHL games for 4-5 teams, with a lot of AHL games, depending on how long he chooses to play over here (kind of like a Salmela-type).  Not like he's a kid...he'll be 28 on 7/27.   

Well that sucks. Not like I had super high hopes for him but I hoped he'd factor in somehow...at some point. Shero has to have something on the horizon regarding a D. Be it a trade or a signing. We really just can't let anybody up and walk right now with the situation we're in. Not even Auvitu

47 minutes ago, '7' said:

Well that sucks. Not like I had super high hopes for him but I hoped he'd factor in somehow...at some point. Shero has to have something on the horizon regarding a D. Be it a trade or a signing. We really just can't let anybody up and walk right now with the situation we're in. Not even Auvitu

That really tells you how they feel about Autivu.  If Shero was indeed that down on him, I can't get worked up about him not keeping Auvitu just because.

Dalton Prout is here too...don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting much from him, and the current D-corp is a bit scary, but the Devils have Greene/Mueller/Severson/Santini/Killjoy/Prout/Moore.  Not saying that Shero won't eventually improve on this lot, but it might not happen until in-season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

On 7/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Okay.

So if Klein plays in another league this year can the Rangers be penalized?

Contract was not front-loaded, so no.  When a player retires from the NHL, the cap hit the team takes is on the money that has been paid out, but not yet counted against the cap.  If Staal retired today, they would have cap hits as his deal was front loaded.

9 hours ago, Bibby89 said:

Has Jimmy Hayes been signed yet? I'd take him on cheap as a 3/4 RW option.  Him and Boyle seem like they'd click. 

5 points in 58 games last year, that's rough. I'm pretty sure I could get 5 points just by accident if I were on the ice. 

I'd pass, let one of the kids play. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 4:06 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

and the current D-corp is a bit scary, but the Devils have Greene/Mueller/Severson/Santini/Killjoy/Prout/Moore. . 

God damn, when you lay it out like that and you see the names of our likely top 7 d-men in a row like that, it really is indeed scary.  I'm interested/curious to see Mueller, and I think he's going to play and fit in well here from the little I know about him, and I'm still pretty high on Santini, but damn... we could be looking at another rough year in terms of defense and keeping pucks out of our zone and out of the net.  Not saying we're world beaters on offense by any means, but it's pretty clear that we have some potential at forward now, compared to how bleak it was just a couple of years ago, and although I was never in favor of trading a guy like Henrique, I gotta be honest, I might actually not hate that idea if it meant balancing out the positions a little.  

On 7/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, Matteau#32 said:

Contract was not front-loaded, so no.  When a player retires from the NHL, the cap hit the team takes is on the money that has been paid out, but not yet counted against the cap.  If Staal retired today, they would have cap hits as his deal was front loaded.

It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.

And as if on cue:

Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 

Wonder how much the Rangers are paying him off the books?

Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 

Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.

And as if on cue:

Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 

Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 

Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

Wow. Un-fvcking-real

And as if on cue:

I posted this in the ATL thread- I want a fvcking investigation like, yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

55 minutes ago, Triumph said:

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

Yeah I don't get the same feeling about his deal as I did with Kovy. This one stinks way less. Getting upset about it is just playing into The whole Rangers jealousy that their fans love when we do it. I'm not going to bother. 

Edited by mfitz804