2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

13 hours ago, Triumph said:

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

The thing that makes it suspicious is that Klein appears to have no connection to Switzerland that we know of.  Also, accounting for lower taxes and no escrow, Kovalchuk probably made pretty much the same amount of money in Russia than he would have playing in the NHL.  

If the Rangers were really pressed for cap space, some sort of investigation maybe could have taken place.  But it doesn't really allow them to do something they might have wanted to do, so it really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

I don't like it, as it seems like blatant cap circumvention, but there's technically no rule against it so have to let it go. And you could certainly make the argument we benefited similarly with Kovy.

I would like it addressed though along with the NCAA picks becoming free agents.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The thing that makes it suspicious is that Klein appears to have no connection to Switzerland that we know of.  Also, accounting for lower taxes and no escrow, Kovalchuk probably made pretty much the same amount of money in Russia than he would have playing in the NHL.  

If the Rangers were really pressed for cap space, some sort of investigation maybe could have taken place.  But it doesn't really allow them to do something they might have wanted to do, so it really doesn't matter.

Plenty of ex-NHLers play in the Swiss league.  Klein was a healthy scratch in the playoffs - maybe the Rangers told him in his exit interview that he wasn't in their plans anymore and that he'd be playing in Hartford next season unless someone would take him on waivers.  

Under the table payments would result in the loss of multiple draft picks, I imagine.  It'd be such blatant circumvention.  

On 7/14/2017 at 8:40 PM, Triumph said:

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

Agreed.  Butt hurt over nothing worth being butt hurt over but in this case the shoe is on the other foot.  Who cares? We have enough to worry about.  For those demanding an investigation immediately hopefully aren't holding your breath.  Let's move on and figure out wth we're going to do for defensemen that actually can play at a middle to high level.  I would prefer an immediate investigation regarding all the holes there.

On 7/14/2017 at 9:35 PM, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I don't get the same feeling about his deal as I did with Kovy. This one stinks way less. Getting upset about it is just playing into The whole Rangers jealousy that their fans love when we do it. I'm not going to bother. 

Great way to look at it, who gives a sh!t what they do.  We have our own issues.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:39 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.

And as if on cue:

Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 

Wonder how much the Rangers are paying him off the books?

Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 

Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

Wait, so the Rangers "encouraged" him to retire?  Yeah, ok.  That's funny.  Thank you for the laugh this morning.

5 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

Wait, so the Rangers "encouraged" him to retire?  Yeah, ok.  That's funny.  Thank you for the laugh this morning.

I see no evidence of that, except to the extent that making him a healthy scratch in the playoffs may have encouraged him it's time to go play elsewhere. 

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

'IT WOULD NOT GO' emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd just better hope that it ends in a shootout.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2017 at 8:50 AM, mfitz804 said:

I see no evidence of that, except to the extent that making him a healthy scratch in the playoffs may have encouraged him it's time to go play elsewhere. 

I agree.  I do think he realized, barring injuries, he was going to be designated as the 7th dman with an occassional start.  Secondly, the schedule and travel in the Swiss League is much less demanding.  Apparently, could have signed in the KHL too, for more money.  

On 7/17/2017 at 10:02 AM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Why do you even post here?

Don't post too often, will pop on here on occassion as I do see some good discussion.  Try to avoid the Rangers talk, but every now and then there is something ridiculous like the Rangers paying him under the table, so I just couldn't help myself.  I have that Rangers logo as an avatar.  You are free to just skip over my posts when you see it.  I won't be offended, I promise.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:37 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Good for JJ. emoji482.png

Good? 

Gretzky got married in the summer of 88, and then never won another Cup.

Leetch got married in the summer of 97 after winning the Norris, and never won another.

LeClair got married the summer after his 3rd straight 50-goal season, never scored 50 again.

Richter got married in the summer of 1999 (I think) and afterwards blew out both knees and got his skull fractured within 3 years.

I could go on....

• Like 2

Good? 
Leetch got married in the summer of 97 after winning the Norris, and never won another.
LeClair got married the summer after his 3rd straight 50-goal season, never scored 50 again.
Richter got married in the summer of 1999 (I think) and afterwards blew out both knees and got his skull fractured within 3 years.
I could go on....

Josefson is nowhere near as good as those guys were- nowhere to go but up lol.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Josefson is nowhere near as good as those guys were- nowhere to go but up lol.

And his wife is a total smoke show.  Good for JJ landing that POA.  Probably will be the best thing he gets out of his hockey career.

In all seriousness, good for him.  I've met him a couple of times and he was always a great guy to talk to.  Wish he stayed healthy and learned how to pot some goals while here.  Wish him nothing but the best going forward.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

Good? 

I could go on....

So what your saying is JJ will never score another shoot out goal?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

Good? 

I could go on....

I supported you on your Klein argument, but did you actually just compare Jacob Josefson to Wayne Gretzky? I bet you could find a 5 game run in Gretzky's career where he scored more goals than JJ has in his entire career. 

Even the others, HOF, HOF, Howdy Doody looking MFer with a soft skull. No comparison. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The Swedish NHLers def know how to pick them that's for sure. In other news, there is a pretty nice vomit piece written by TSN on Shattenkirk and the Rags.

http://www.tsn.ca/shattenkirk-rangers-on-cusp-of-something-big-1.808480

As much as I hate the Rangers, if I thought they were on the cusp of something big, I could be partial and admit it.  But Shattenkirk is really minimizing Lundqvist's age and possible (soon to be inevitable) decline...Lundqvist has 742 career regular season games under his belt, along with 128 playoff games...over his last six seasons, he's averaged a tick over 71 GP per season.  And he's getting paid handsomely over the next four seasons, which makes it a lot harder to bail on him if he's struggling; also, if he gets hurt or slumps badly enough, there's no Talbot or Raanta to turn to anymore...it's now Pavalec...he of the 39 starts and .901 save% the past two years.  Raanta was at .921 as a Ranger (44 starts), and Talbot .931 (53 starts over the prior 2 seasons).  Ranger fans got VERY spoiled by the level of play from their backups...they got, on average, about 24 starts of mostly stellar play from those two...they went 60-29-9 in their games.  No one can tell me that their goaltending won't see a serious downgrade from the previous four seasons. 

Maybe Lundqvist can somehow buck the odds and come close to what he was at his peak, but nothing really suggests that the Rangers should count on that.  They should continue to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future, but it's hard to see them doing much more than getting to the second round now.  They're kind of on the other side of the mountain now...just feels like they had their shot to win their Cup and simply couldn't do it. 

• Like 1