2017 UFA Thread

Daniel

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What concerns me is that while Hall still has three seasons on his deal, it's really this year and next, because you CANNOT, under any circumstances whatsoever, let Taylor Hall walk away for nothing. You need to convince him things are headed in the right direction real fvcking soon, or he's gonna wanna go someplace he can win. So maybe that's a little bit of paranoia on my part, but I believe this to be a real concern until proven otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for sure. He has done nothing but lose his whole career, if we aren't winning in a couple of years, signing an extension here will be the furthest thing from his mind.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It appears the Devils really didn't try to go all in for Shattenkirk per LeBrun.

Zacha shows no signs he'll be any good.  He'll be Conte's legacy while Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen and Barzal are stars in this league.

I'd like to be high on McLeod, but he was also one of Conte's hemnchman's (Claude Carrier) top prospects that year, so you know he'll be underwhelming.

It's time to give up on the fantasy that Severson will be this great defenseman.  He's regressed two years in a row.  Sorry, he ain't gonna be Roman Josi.

Franson is terrible.  I seriously doubt that every other team is somehow missing out on that hidden gem.

There's Nico.  I'm sure he'll be a good player, but so are Hall, RNH and MacKinnon and they have all proven not to be nearly enough to make a team good with little help.

Look, the bottom line is that us is a team that figures to have Ben Lovejoy start 82 games and get 18+ minutes of ice time a game.  Colorado wouldn't even have any use for him.  

It's gonna be a long season.

Well, if this doesn't convince you to just jump and end it all nothing will... lol

Let's face it. Who wants to come to NJ? What would the draw be? Great coach? No

HoF players? No

great city? No

drafting and trading will be the answer. Gonna be a LONG time. 

Hope the franchise can be salvaged....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

for sure. He has done nothing but lose his whole career, if we aren't winning in a couple of years, signing an extension here will be the furthest thing from his mind.

Yes and that's what Shero should be trying to do: Reassure our top talent that we're putting something together that will have talent enough to compete. I'm pretty sure that Hall is just ecstatic that we brought Boyle aboard. For me, it's not even the Shattenkirk deal. It's signing players like Lovejoy who have no business taking the ice for 5 minutes let alone 18+ minutes. And out so -called "youth movement" isn't going to be all that enticing. We don't have a group like Draisitl, RNH, Klefbom, Nurse to make us look attractive. This team has way more Connor Chathams than it does Nico Hischiers

"Zacha shows no signs of being good"
I couldn't disagree more. I thought he showed some flashes at times last season. You know he's only 20 right?

Yeah I don't know where this 'Zacha is a bust' narrative came from, but he's played one season and isn't even old enough to legally drink yet. Gimme a fvcking break with that one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wtf are you talking about? You can't just discount the Hall and Palmieri moves and say he's done nothing. There's only so much he can do. If UFA don't want to sign with Devils it's not on him. Nor is it his fault there's not a whole lot of valuable pieces he can trade. 

Will we still count the hall trade as great when he tells management he won't sign an extension in a few years and they trade him? That's where this is more than likely headed baring this team doing a major turnaround quick.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It appears the Devils really didn't try to go all in for Shattenkirk per LeBrun.

Zacha shows no signs he'll be any good.  He'll be Conte's legacy while Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen and Barzal are stars in this league.

I'd like to be high on McLeod, but he was also one of Conte's hemnchman's (Claude Carrier) top prospects that year, so you know he'll be underwhelming.

It's time to give up on the fantasy that Severson will be this great defenseman.  He's regressed two years in a row.  Sorry, he ain't gonna be Roman Josi.

Franson is terrible.  I seriously doubt that every other team is somehow missing out on that hidden gem.

There's Nico.  I'm sure he'll be a good player, but so are Hall, RNH and MacKinnon and they have all proven not to be nearly enough to make a team good with little help.

Look, the bottom line is that us is a team that figures to have Ben Lovejoy start 82 games and get 18+ minutes of ice time a game.  Colorado wouldn't even have any use for him.  

It's gonna be a long season.

Holy sh!t this is a bad post. Zacha is 20 rofl. McLeod had a fantastic regular season, and almost led his team to the ohl championship. Severson is a year younger than Skjei and has 3 seasons of NHL experience already. I dont even.... :blink: you really need some perspective.

Lighten up Francis.

Edited by Toasterleavins
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, devils744 said:

Will we still count the hall trade as great when he tells management he won't sign an extension in a few years and they trade him? That's where this is more than likely headed baring this team doing a major turnaround quick.

He's not re-signing here, we should all get that out of our heads now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

He's not re-signing here, we should all get that out of our heads now. 

No one can answer that question on 7/1/2017.  Just way too many unknowns.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, devils744 said:

Exactly, and we'll end up selling him at pennies on the dollar.

3 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Holy sh!t this is a bad post. Zacha is 20 rofl. McLeod had a fantastic regular season, and almost led his team to the ohl championship. Severson is a year younger than Skjei and has 3 seasons of NHL experience already. I dont even.... :blink: you really need some perspective.

Lighten up Francis.

Okay, but who do you surround those guys with to make them better? Other call ups?

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So if you were called a loser since coming into this league, and saw the team that traded you probably win a Cup (Edmonton will probably win one pretty soon), you'd want to spend the rest of your career on a bottom feeding team?

We're the Islanders of the late 90s.

Just now, Daniel said:

So if you were called a loser since coming into this league, and saw the team that traded you probably win a Cup (Edmonton will probably win one pretty soon), you'd want to spend the rest of your career on a bottom feeding team?

I'm glad you not only know we won't make the playoffs for a decade, but you also can predict Edmonton winning a cup before 2020. 

I know he's a douche, but I'm saying sign Marleau. In addition, sign Jagr. The only way these young guys get any better is by playing with talented veterans. As for D sign Oduya and Beauchemin. We've got Andy Greene and Lovejoy as our veteran presence. What the hell can a young d man learn from Lovejoy?

The current AHL coaching staff we have. No one except rookies will listen to them. Do you really think some player in his prime is going to listen to a minor league coaching/developmental staff? 

Get real Ray....

I know he's a douche, but I'm saying sign Marleau. In addition, sign Jagr. The only way these young guys get any better is by playing with talented veterans. As for D sign Oduya and Beauchemin. We've got Andy Greene and Lovejoy as our veteran presence. What the hell can a young d man learn from Lovejoy?

Cool. Maybe Barnabas Health can build an assisted living facility next to the practice rink too. It can be called the Barnabas Health Hockey Home.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Guess I don't need to follow this team anymore, as you've already determined their path, apparently due to the fact that one player who never wanted to come here wound up not coming here.  Sorry, I just don't see how Kevin fvcking Shattenkirk not signing with the Devils means it's the end of all hope and of a better future.  If anything, I like that Shero hasn't tried to "make up" for this with a rash of crappy "Well I guess I should do something!" signings.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He didn't want to come here, we stink, he'll have a million teams after him, including ones in Canada which is where he probably wants to be. What's going to keep him here, the Jersey Shore?