Jump to content

2017 UFA Thread


Recommended Posts

On 7/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Okay.

So if Klein plays in another league this year can the Rangers be penalized?

Contract was not front-loaded, so no.  When a player retires from the NHL, the cap hit the team takes is on the money that has been paid out, but not yet counted against the cap.  If Staal retired today, they would have cap hits as his deal was front loaded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on how everyone in hockey told us the lead up to the expansion draft was going to be one of the craziest offseason events we've ever witnessed, sure it's disappointing that we're not at least si

Two days ago, this was a pathetic draft class that we wanted no part of other than Shattenkirk. Now, the sky is falling because we lost out on him since he's going to realize his 15 year old wet dream

So... Detroit... 

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Bibby89 said:

Has Jimmy Hayes been signed yet? I'd take him on cheap as a 3/4 RW option.  Him and Boyle seem like they'd click. 

5 points in 58 games last year, that's rough. I'm pretty sure I could get 5 points just by accident if I were on the ice. 

I'd pass, let one of the kids play. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 4:06 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

and the current D-corp is a bit scary, but the Devils have Greene/Mueller/Severson/Santini/Killjoy/Prout/Moore. . 

God damn, when you lay it out like that and you see the names of our likely top 7 d-men in a row like that, it really is indeed scary.  I'm interested/curious to see Mueller, and I think he's going to play and fit in well here from the little I know about him, and I'm still pretty high on Santini, but damn... we could be looking at another rough year in terms of defense and keeping pucks out of our zone and out of the net.  Not saying we're world beaters on offense by any means, but it's pretty clear that we have some potential at forward now, compared to how bleak it was just a couple of years ago, and although I was never in favor of trading a guy like Henrique, I gotta be honest, I might actually not hate that idea if it meant balancing out the positions a little.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2017 at 7:51 AM, Matteau#32 said:

Contract was not front-loaded, so no.  When a player retires from the NHL, the cap hit the team takes is on the money that has been paid out, but not yet counted against the cap.  If Staal retired today, they would have cap hits as his deal was front loaded.

It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.

And as if on cue:

Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 

Wonder how much the Rangers are paying him off the books?

Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 

Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.

And as if on cue:

Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 

Wonder how much the Rangers are paying him off the books?

Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 

Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

Wow. Un-fvcking-real

Link to post
Share on other sites
It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.
And as if on cue:
Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 
Wonder how much the Rangers are paying him off the books?
Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 
Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

I posted this in the ATL thread- I want a fvcking investigation like, yesterday.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the beloved Rangers. Nothing will happen to him. I mean we were talking about this scheme weeks ago as a way to free up sh!ttenkirk money. It was brazen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Triumph said:

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

Yeah I don't get the same feeling about his deal as I did with Kovy. This one stinks way less. Getting upset about it is just playing into The whole Rangers jealousy that their fans love when we do it. I'm not going to bother. 

Edited by mfitz804
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Triumph said:

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

The thing that makes it suspicious is that Klein appears to have no connection to Switzerland that we know of.  Also, accounting for lower taxes and no escrow, Kovalchuk probably made pretty much the same amount of money in Russia than he would have playing in the NHL.  

If the Rangers were really pressed for cap space, some sort of investigation maybe could have taken place.  But it doesn't really allow them to do something they might have wanted to do, so it really doesn't matter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like it, as it seems like blatant cap circumvention, but there's technically no rule against it so have to let it go. And you could certainly make the argument we benefited similarly with Kovy.

I would like it addressed though along with the NCAA picks becoming free agents.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The thing that makes it suspicious is that Klein appears to have no connection to Switzerland that we know of.  Also, accounting for lower taxes and no escrow, Kovalchuk probably made pretty much the same amount of money in Russia than he would have playing in the NHL.  

If the Rangers were really pressed for cap space, some sort of investigation maybe could have taken place.  But it doesn't really allow them to do something they might have wanted to do, so it really doesn't matter.

Plenty of ex-NHLers play in the Swiss league.  Klein was a healthy scratch in the playoffs - maybe the Rangers told him in his exit interview that he wasn't in their plans anymore and that he'd be playing in Hartford next season unless someone would take him on waivers.  

Under the table payments would result in the loss of multiple draft picks, I imagine.  It'd be such blatant circumvention.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 8:40 PM, Triumph said:

So you guys think that the Rangers are paying Klein under the table to retire and he's going to go play in Switzerland as a result?  Yeah, somehow I don't think that's very likely.

Kovalchuk retired to go play in the KHL but there weren't any investigations and he left way more money on the table to go do that.  While this is uncommon, it has happened before - sometimes the NHL isn't the league people want to play in, no matter what they're being paid to do so.  Klein on LTIR wouldn't change the Rangers' cap situation at all.

Agreed.  Butt hurt over nothing worth being butt hurt over but in this case the shoe is on the other foot.  Who cares? We have enough to worry about.  For those demanding an investigation immediately hopefully aren't holding your breath.  Let's move on and figure out wth we're going to do for defensemen that actually can play at a middle to high level.  I would prefer an immediate investigation regarding all the holes there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 9:35 PM, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I don't get the same feeling about his deal as I did with Kovy. This one stinks way less. Getting upset about it is just playing into The whole Rangers jealousy that their fans love when we do it. I'm not going to bother. 

Great way to look at it, who gives a sh!t what they do.  We have our own issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 2:39 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

It's not about front loading, it's about the Rangers 'encouraging' him to retire so that they could clear up cap space.

And as if on cue:

Truly remarkable that a guy who has to retire from the league because he's just in so much pain found his way to another professional league.  Why wouldn't he just LTIR with the Rangers for this year to fully recover from his terribly serious chronic injuries and then sign overseas next year? 

Wonder how much the Rangers are paying him off the books?

Absolutely circumvention, and it's ridiculous that these big market teams (read: Rags, Hawks) can get away with it without repercussion. 

Silly Shero, buying out Cammalleri.  Why didn't he just make him retire instead?

Wait, so the Rangers "encouraged" him to retire?  Yeah, ok.  That's funny.  Thank you for the laugh this morning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

Wait, so the Rangers "encouraged" him to retire?  Yeah, ok.  That's funny.  Thank you for the laugh this morning.

I see no evidence of that, except to the extent that making him a healthy scratch in the playoffs may have encouraged him it's time to go play elsewhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.