2017 UFA Thread

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on how everyone in hockey told us the lead up to the expansion draft was going to be one of the craziest offseason events we've ever witnessed, sure it's disappointing that we're not at least si

Two days ago, this was a pathetic draft class that we wanted no part of other than Shattenkirk. Now, the sky is falling because we lost out on him since he's going to realize his 15 year old wet dream

So... Detroit... 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

'IT WOULD NOT GO' emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He'd just better hope that it ends in a shootout.

• Like 2
On 7/17/2017 at 8:50 AM, mfitz804 said:

I see no evidence of that, except to the extent that making him a healthy scratch in the playoffs may have encouraged him it's time to go play elsewhere. 

I agree.  I do think he realized, barring injuries, he was going to be designated as the 7th dman with an occassional start.  Secondly, the schedule and travel in the Swiss League is much less demanding.  Apparently, could have signed in the KHL too, for more money.  

On 7/17/2017 at 10:02 AM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Why do you even post here?

Don't post too often, will pop on here on occassion as I do see some good discussion.  Try to avoid the Rangers talk, but every now and then there is something ridiculous like the Rangers paying him under the table, so I just couldn't help myself.  I have that Rangers logo as an avatar.  You are free to just skip over my posts when you see it.  I won't be offended, I promise.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:37 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Good for JJ. emoji482.png

Good? 

Gretzky got married in the summer of 88, and then never won another Cup.

Leetch got married in the summer of 97 after winning the Norris, and never won another.

LeClair got married the summer after his 3rd straight 50-goal season, never scored 50 again.

Richter got married in the summer of 1999 (I think) and afterwards blew out both knees and got his skull fractured within 3 years.

I could go on....

• Like 2
Good? 
Leetch got married in the summer of 97 after winning the Norris, and never won another.
LeClair got married the summer after his 3rd straight 50-goal season, never scored 50 again.
Richter got married in the summer of 1999 (I think) and afterwards blew out both knees and got his skull fractured within 3 years.
I could go on....

Josefson is nowhere near as good as those guys were- nowhere to go but up lol.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Josefson is nowhere near as good as those guys were- nowhere to go but up lol.

And his wife is a total smoke show.  Good for JJ landing that POA.  Probably will be the best thing he gets out of his hockey career.

In all seriousness, good for him.  I've met him a couple of times and he was always a great guy to talk to.  Wish he stayed healthy and learned how to pot some goals while here.  Wish him nothing but the best going forward.  

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

Good? 

I could go on....

So what your saying is JJ will never score another shoot out goal?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

Good? 

I could go on....

I supported you on your Klein argument, but did you actually just compare Jacob Josefson to Wayne Gretzky? I bet you could find a 5 game run in Gretzky's career where he scored more goals than JJ has in his entire career. 

Even the others, HOF, HOF, Howdy Doody looking MFer with a soft skull. No comparison. 

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I supported you on your Klein argument, but did you actually just compare Jacob Josefson to Wayne Gretzky? I bet you could find a 5 game run in Gretzky's career where he scored more goals than JJ has in his entire career. 

Even the others, HOF, HOF, Howdy Doody looking MFer with a soft skull. No comparison. 

Lol, I think this was a very obvious tongue-in-cheek comment. 

What we should really take from his post is that Josefson will never score 50 goals, never win the Norris. and will never win a Stanley Cup with the Sabres. But any grown man with a pecker would trade those three things for his wife. God daaaaamn.

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The Swedish NHLers def know how to pick them that's for sure. In other news, there is a pretty nice vomit piece written by TSN on Shattenkirk and the Rags.

http://www.tsn.ca/shattenkirk-rangers-on-cusp-of-something-big-1.808480

As much as I hate the Rangers, if I thought they were on the cusp of something big, I could be partial and admit it.  But Shattenkirk is really minimizing Lundqvist's age and possible (soon to be inevitable) decline...Lundqvist has 742 career regular season games under his belt, along with 128 playoff games...over his last six seasons, he's averaged a tick over 71 GP per season.  And he's getting paid handsomely over the next four seasons, which makes it a lot harder to bail on him if he's struggling; also, if he gets hurt or slumps badly enough, there's no Talbot or Raanta to turn to anymore...it's now Pavalec...he of the 39 starts and .901 save% the past two years.  Raanta was at .921 as a Ranger (44 starts), and Talbot .931 (53 starts over the prior 2 seasons).  Ranger fans got VERY spoiled by the level of play from their backups...they got, on average, about 24 starts of mostly stellar play from those two...they went 60-29-9 in their games.  No one can tell me that their goaltending won't see a serious downgrade from the previous four seasons. 

Maybe Lundqvist can somehow buck the odds and come close to what he was at his peak, but nothing really suggests that the Rangers should count on that.  They should continue to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future, but it's hard to see them doing much more than getting to the second round now.  They're kind of on the other side of the mountain now...just feels like they had their shot to win their Cup and simply couldn't do it. 

• Like 1

IF lundqvist turns into pre-2015 form and IF Vesey takes a big step forward, I see the Rangers as a 5-7 seed. They were no doubt on the cusp of something when lundqvist was in his prime and they were full of prime-or-younger Stepans, Kreider's, and Nash's. But their window opened and closed as it seemingly always will -- without a cup.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Haha, no.  Did not mean to imply he was at that level, just the go to guys I use whenever the marriage thing comes up.  Obviously, the before and after need to be graded on an individual bell curve for each player.  Yes, married Gretzky is still better than single Josefson.  But single gretzky better than married gretzky.  Single josefson, better than married josefson.

2 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

Haha, no.  Did not mean to imply he was at that level, just the go to guys I use whenever the marriage thing comes up.  Obviously, the before and after need to be graded on an individual bell curve for each player.  Yes, married Gretzky is still better than single Josefson.  But single gretzky better than married gretzky.  Single josefson, better than married josefson.

He'll be in the AHL or Europe by the end of the season if that's true. 

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

IF lundqvist turns into pre-2015 form and IF Vesey takes a big step forward, I see the Rangers as a 5-7 seed. They were no doubt on the cusp of something when lundqvist was in his prime and they were full of prime-or-younger Stepans, Kreider's, and Nash's. But their window opened and closed as it seemingly always will -- without a cup.

Don't see them going as crazy offensively as they did to start last season either...they scored a whopping (for this era) 81 goals through 20 games last season (allowed 47)...they had a goal differential of just +1 (not adjusted for SO phantom goals) from Game 21 though the end of the season.  Kind of amazing that a team that gets off to such a flying start offensively doesn't even have a player that finishes with 60 points.     

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as I hate the Rangers, if I thought they were on the cusp of something big, I could be partial and admit it.  But Shattenkirk is really minimizing Lundqvist's age and possible (soon to be inevitable) decline...Lundqvist has 742 career regular season games under his belt, along with 128 playoff games...over his last six seasons, he's averaged a tick over 71 GP per season.  And he's getting paid handsomely over the next four seasons, which makes it a lot harder to bail on him if he's struggling; also, if he gets hurt or slumps badly enough, there's no Talbot or Raanta to turn to anymore...it's now Pavalec...he of the 39 starts and .901 save% the past two years.  Raanta was at .921 as a Ranger (44 starts), and Talbot .931 (53 starts over the prior 2 seasons).  Ranger fans got VERY spoiled by the level of play from their backups...they got, on average, about 24 starts of mostly stellar play from those two...they went 60-29-9 in their games.  No one can tell me that their goaltending won't see a serious downgrade from the previous four seasons. 

Maybe Lundqvist can somehow buck the odds and come close to what he was at his peak, but nothing really suggests that the Rangers should count on that.  They should continue to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future, but it's hard to see them doing much more than getting to the second round now.  They're kind of on the other side of the mountain now...just feels like they had their shot to win their Cup and simply couldn't do it. 

There's nothing wrong with being reasonable and realistic. So many fans aren't though. I agree with you. I was worried about NYR's chances of winning a cup 5-3 years ago. I'm not nearly as worried as I was then.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was worried after seeing how well he played vs Montreal. After such a horrendous regular season it looked like he flipped a switch. However vs. Ottawa he reverted back to his declining regular season self.

Their year was 2014, and they played pretty much the hockey version of the Mets/Royals Word Series. I have to be bluntly honest, the Rangers were extremely unlucky against the Kings.

Even 2012 if they lucked past us that Kings team would've massacred them.

Luring in entitled college brats who get to pick where they play for like Hayes and Vesey has allowed them to extend this stretch of good teams they've had, as well as out of nowhere season by guys like Grabner

Edited by '7'
Just now, '7' said:

I was worried after seeing how well he played vs Montreal. After such a horrendous regular season it looked like he flipped a switch. However vs. Ottawa he reverted back to his declining regular season self.

Their year was 2014, and they played pretty much the hockey version of the Mets/Royals Word Series. I have to be bluntly honest, the Rangers were extremely unlucky against the Kings.

Even 2012 if they lucked past us that Kings team would've massacred them.

Luring in entitled college brats who get to pick where they play for like Hayes and Vesey has allowed them to extend this stretch of good teams they've had

2014 Rangers didn't have to contend with 2012 Quick.  Guy was a wall that year:  .929 save% regular season, .946 save% playoff (including .947 in the SCF).  In 2014, he was .915 regular season, .911 playoff...he did save his best for last though, putting up a .932 save% in the SCF...he'd actually been pretty mediocre up in the three seven-game series prior to the SCF (just .906 through those three rounds).  That 2012 season was such an outlier for him...he's been pretty good for much of his career, but that really was an All-World kind of season for him. 

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

2014 Rangers didn't have to contend with 2012 Quick.  Guy was a wall that year:  .929 save% regular season, .946 save% playoff (including .947 in the SCF).  In 2014, he was .915 regular season, .911 playoff...he did save his best for last though, putting up a .932 save% in the SCF...he'd actually been pretty mediocre up in the three seven-game series prior to the SCF (just .906 through those three rounds).  That 2012 season was such an outlier for him...he's been pretty good for much of his career, but that really was an All-World kind of season for him. 

Don't tell Rangers fans that.  They are utterly convinced they faced a better Kings team in 2014 than what we faced in 2012.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Don't tell Rangers fans that.  They are utterly convinced they faced a better Kings team in 2014 than what we faced in 2012.

The team that played 3 Game 7's to reach the SCF vs the team that went 12-2 in the West? Jeez...

20 minutes ago, Marshall said:

The team that played 3 Game 7's to reach the SCF vs the team that went 12-2 in the West? Jeez...

And weren't the Kings down 0-3 in their first series against SJ that playoffs?  That 2014 team was lucky to get out of the first round, and weren't nearly as dominant in any series as they were during their run in 2012. 

The crazy thing is the Devils came a crossbar from Kovy at the end of regulation in Game 2 and/or a missed wide-open net from Fayne in Game 1 from at least playing at home in Game 7 vs. the Kings in 2012.  But Quick was unreal in those playoffs and that series.  He deserved the Conn Smythe and was the biggest reason that they beat us that year. 

• Like 2