2017 UFA Thread

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on how everyone in hockey told us the lead up to the expansion draft was going to be one of the craziest offseason events we've ever witnessed, sure it's disappointing that we're not at least si

Two days ago, this was a pathetic draft class that we wanted no part of other than Shattenkirk. Now, the sky is falling because we lost out on him since he's going to realize his 15 year old wet dream

So... Detroit... 

Posted Images

On 7/22/2017 at 4:14 AM, moustic said:

I don't see why a Markov isn't sign yet (there or Elsewhere)... What's the problem with him? 

Can't be the price now as he must have lower down now

He's probably still asking for a multi-year deal, which teams are smart to balk at.

16 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Hell no, Markov is falling apart, I've been down on the guy for years, don't want him at this age for two years

How many of the current Devils D are better than Markov in your opinion? 

There's absolutely a place for him on that roster. I don't care if he's not in his prime, he's still a solid puck moving defenseman. 

Markov is an immediate and instant upgrade. Who cares if we give him 2 years? If he regresses so badly that he doesn't crack the top-6 in his second year, scratch him. We're not a cap team. There's no reason not to take small risks like this.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

There's absolutely a place for him on that roster. I don't care if he's not in his prime, he's still a solid puck moving defenseman. 

Is better than some of our defenseman? Absolutely, but he's not a better all around defenseman than Andy Greene or Damon Severson, he wouldn't be the head and shoulders best defenseman on our team, I'd much rather give Top 4 ice to Santini and Mueller and let them develop themselves than bring in a 38 year old log jammer. Markov is already a below average skater and a lazy competitor to my eye, that's not going to get better with age.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Hell no, Markov is falling apart, I've been down on the guy for years, don't want him at this age for two years

I agree it should be one year.

Man, we've gotten picky when we don't even want to offer a guy a two year deal!!

On July 28, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

So, anyone have interest in any of the following?

1. Jagr (age 45)
  2. Vanek, (age 33, 48 pts last season)
  3. Franson (age 29)
  4. Jokipakka (age 25)

Those seem like the remaining slim pickins of note.  Personally, I'd take any of them on a 1-year deal.  If they work out, flip 'em.  

Franson=yes!  Jagr maybe, Vanek-no  Don't know the other guy

18 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Jagr yes, Franson yes, Vanek no, Jokipakka just because his name is awesome. 

Jokipakka does have an awesome name, but the guy also happens to be a D, is 25 only, and as a UFA, might be worth a gamble since our D is in severe need of an injection of talent.  6'3, 215lbs... could be a serviceable 5-6-7.  Supposedly is mobile, but has never put up points as far as I can tell.  Granted, we need more of a top 4 D for this coming season, so maybe it's not a match.

It's surprising Franson is still out there... if I'm NJ, I'm offering him a 1 year deal.  Make it more lucrative than others can due to our cap space, and deal him at the deadline for a pick.  Not sure what the harm is unless NJ really believes its young guys will steal the show somehow.  At this point in the summer, players are signing for bargains.  Or, if he truly works out and looks good out there, can sign him mid-season to a short 2-3 year extension.  

Jagr I feel there is less room for since he loves signing on offense-thin clubs where he can slot into the 1st line.  I don't see the room being there this year on NJ.  He certainly would have a place in the top 9, but I'd caution against playing him top 3 or even top 6 on a consistent basis. 

Vanek had 48 pts last year which is pretty decent, so, also surprised he is out there.  I think NJ is more content with its forwards and not sure they want to chew time away from Hall, Zacha, etc.  Will be interesting to see how they break up the lines as Mojo will probably be tried as a RW.  I think they have enough good players in the top 9 where they don't need to add a UFA forward who definitely won't put up as many points here.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:43 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

1. Jagr (age 45)
  3. Franson (age 29)
  4. Jokipakka (age 25)

Those seem like the remaining slim pickins of note.  Personally, I'd take any of them on a 1-year deal.  If they work out, flip 'em.  

Jagr - no

Vanek - maybe

Franson - yes

Jokipakka - who?

Jokipakka is a defensive defenseman who is OK-ish on defense but completely neuters your offense. He'd be another third pairing guy. Pass. 

I would've signed Franson the minute Shattenkirk signed with NYR. Can't see it happening though - I think they're perfectly fine with running Severson-Lovejoy-Santini on the right side. 

On 7/24/2017 at 3:53 PM, Nicomo said:

Agreed.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:56 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Markov is an immediate and instant upgrade. Who cares if we give him 2 years? If he regresses so badly that he doesn't crack the top-6 in his second year, scratch him. We're not a cap team. There's no reason not to take small risks like this.

And agreed.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:57 PM, CommonDreads said:

Is better than some of our defenseman? Absolutely, but he's not a better all around defenseman than Andy Greene or Damon Severson, he wouldn't be the head and shoulders best defenseman on our team, I'd much rather give Top 4 ice to Santini and Mueller and let them develop themselves than bring in a 38 year old log jammer. Markov is already a below average skater and a lazy competitor to my eye, that's not going to get better with age.

I partially agree with this, in that I'd also rather give top 4 minutes to Mueller and Santini, but there's no reason not to keep Markov, a slower guy now in his older age, on your 3rd pairing, and also give him minutes as the QB on the blue line during Powerplays.  

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a good fit.

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed.

And agreed.

I partially agree with this, in that I'd also rather give top 4 minutes to Mueller and Santini, but there's no reason not to keep Markov, a slower guy now in his older age, on your 3rd pairing, and also give him minutes as the QB on the blue line during Powerplays.  

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a good fit.

He signed in the KHL.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:43 PM, Sharifijanov2099 said:

1. Jagr (age 45)
  3. Franson (age 29)
  4. Jokipakka (age 25)

5. Iginla (age 40)

I feel like we need to stick with the youth movement and try for a fast pace up front so I wouldn't pursue Jag or Vanek. 

Franson would be a decent get, particularly to pay on a one year deal that we likely could trade for a pick at the deadline as somebody mentioned. Jokipakka is roster filler.