Cammalleri and DSP Bought Out

Daniel

So Camm is 1.6 cap hit over 4 years instead of 5 over 2 years and DSP its 175k this year and 225k next instead of 1.3 mil this year for a total of about 4 mil this season. And before resigning all RFAs and FAs the Devils were already about 4 million under the floor so they have to spend like 8 mil now.  At least according to cap friendly. The Devils really don't need the cap space so this has to be for roster spots really.

Edited by roomtemp

3 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is great news, the only thing he did worth remembering was being the first Devil to ever wear #13.

That's how it may go down in the annals of Devils history, but signing Cammalleri was a big deal when it happened. People were excited the Devils were willing to bring in a bonafide goal scorer, though the term was worrisome - and hey, look at that, the term ended up being something of a problem.

He nearly hit 30 goals in his first season and was about a point per game in the second season... but injuries kept popping up and this last year he just didn't look like the Cammalleri of the previous seasons. He shanked one-timers, passed on good scoring opportunities, and just wasn't the kind of threat he was before.

• Like 2

Man what does our forward roster look like at this point? 

Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, Zajac, Zacha, Wood and maybe Hischier?

I guess Quenneville, Lappin, and Thomas have roster spots? Still we look short. I'd also assume Noesen comes back, maybe Bennett too but I think something else is happening. We had plenty of cap space before buying Cammy out, now we're going to have to reach the floor.

Edited by Jerzey

2 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Man what does our forward roster look like at this point? 

Hall, Henrique, Palmieri, Zajac, Zacha, Wood and maybe Hischier?

I guess Quenneville, Lappin, and Thomas have roster spots? Still we look short.

Well I imagine we're adding some UFA.

Plus add in Draisaitl after Edmonton doesn't match the offer sheet we throw his way... :evil:

Joking aside, we're looking at a total youth movement here.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

McLeod is expected to make the jump. We'll almost definitely re-sign Beau Bennett. I'd be surprised if we didn't make one Fiddler-type signing, or even a PAP/Stempniak move too.

I hope McLeod is ready. I'd be a little worried with both him and Hischier starting the same season but it could be what this team needs. As 118 said a complete youth movement.

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well I imagine we're adding some UFA.

Plus add in Draisaitl after Edmonton doesn't match the offer sheet we throw his way... :evil:

Joking aside, we're looking at a total youth movement here.

I'm loving the youth movement idea. I just hope we don't overload but it looks like youth wins nowadays. After Oshie, I'm not sure who the best UFA forwards are but I'm looking forward to the next few days. What a great offseason for this team. 

Sucks for Cammy, as all reports are that he is a nice dude, but business is business. At least NJ tried to do right by him and ship him somewhere that would give him a job. DSP got off to such a great start here in NJ, I thought it was a great pickup. Too bad he did almost nothing of note last season.

EDIT: Would love to have Jagr back in NJ. If he can't continue his NHL career because GMs wouldn't even give him a shot when he is obviously still a force in the league, they should be ashamed. Fans all around the league still love watching this dude play. Would the Isles really rather have Steven Gionta in the lineup?

Edited by NJDevils1214