Devils acquire Marcus Johansson from Caps

MadDog2020

Just now, Devs3cups said:

2 years left. Great deal. Wonder if he will stay after though, we should have the space... You guys thinking they give him one before the contract expires? 

I think, much like Hall, it depends on the trajectory of the team around the time his contract expires.

8 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I think, much like Hall, it depends on the trajectory of the team around the time his contract expires.

I agree, I think the direction is going pretty well as of now. Didn't get into the hate yesterday, and I see the direction management is taking. As I see it, their plan is going in the right direction. A good prospect pool is coming up, trading for solid players, signing depth players, Cory in net. All of these make me believe there are good chances that they will re-sign here after their contracts expire. But hey, one year at a time, time will tell. We still have 2-3 years to enjoy this movement and see the process and plan with these players.

Edited by Devs3cups

6 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

I agree, I think the direction is going pretty well as of now. Didn't get into the hate yesterday, and I see the direction management is taking. As I see it, their plan is going in the right direction. A good prospect pool is coming up, trading for solid players, signing depth players, Cory in net. All of these make me believe there are good chances that they will re-sign here after their contracts expire. But hey, one year at a time, time will tell. We still have 2-3 years to enjoy this movement and see the process and plan with these players.

I was thinking about the Hall re-signing thing today, and I wondered this and didn't know the answer. Hold aside anyone who is homegrown. When is the last time we signed a big free agent or traded for a star level player and were able to re-sign them when their deal expired? 

Cory doesn't count, his deal didn't expire, nor was he a star-type player when we got him. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I was thinking about the Hall re-signing thing today, and I wondered this and didn't know the answer. Hold aside anyone who is homegrown. When is the last time we signed a big free agent or traded for a star level player and were able to re-sign them when their deal expired? 

image.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Schneider, Kovy and arguably Palmieri are the only ones that come to mind recently. But as I see it as of right now, the direction is pretty clear and the plan is going pretty well, which leads me to believe that there is a higher chanceq than most people feel that the impact players we trade for will stay with the team long-term and re-sign. 

4 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Schneider, Kovy and arguably Palmieri are the only ones that come to mind recently. But as I see it as of right now, the direction is pretty clear and the plan is going pretty well, which leads me to believe that there is a higher chanceq than most people feel that the impact players we trade for will stay with the team long-term and re-sign. 

Cory's deal didn't expire, and he wasn't a star player, he was never a #1 goalie even. Palmieri was not a star player, his career high was 14 goals. Plus he was a RFA, not really what I was thinking about because for the most part, RFA's re-sign. 

Do you really want to throw Kovy in there? I guess technically we did sign him, not that it mattered because he left the team nonetheless. So that's one example seven years ago, and the guy still didn't stay. Kind of a weak example. 

Anyone else? 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Cory's deal didn't expire, and he wasn't a star player, he was never a #1 goalie even. Palmieri was not a star player, his career high was 14 goals. Plus he was a RFA, not really what I was thinking about because for the most part, RFA's re-sign. 

Do you really want to throw Kovy in there? I guess technically we did sign him, not that it mattered because he left the team nonetheless. So that's one example seven years ago, and the guy still didn't stay. Kind of a weak example. 

Anyone else? 

Ahhhh, didn't really put the focus on ''star'' players. But Kovy would have to be the only one in recent years, yes.

Well yesterday I was saying that I like what Shero has done with the Devils on this forum. Love that he try to land Shattenkirk and Shatty just decide he was in love with tje rangers... People were complaining and saying that Shero suck etc...

Tofayr Shero just stole a really good young forward. Johansson is awesome... We now have a young, fast and dynamic attack. We have a good goalie. The only thing we need is to improve our Defense. We need guys that can move the puck and I wouldnt be surprise if shero put another steal for us...

Shero trade 2 second rounders 2X 3 rounders, Adam Larsson for Kyle Palmieri, Marcus freaking Johansson and Taylor Hall!

He draft hischier and Mcleod... so we shall see for those 2.

Trust the GM... I love Shero from day 1 and he loves to surprise us... this trade came out of nowwhere just like the Hall trade.

who knows what next with him.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, caron14 said:

Well yesterday I was saying that I like what Shero has done with the Devils on this forum. Love that he try to land Shattenkirk and Shatty just decide he was in love with tje rangers... People were complaining and saying that Shero suck etc...

Tofayr Shero just stole a really good young forward. Johansson is awesome... We now have a young, fast and dynamic attack. We have a good goalie. The only thing we need is to improve our Defense. We need guys that can move the puck and I wouldnt be surprise if shero put another steal for us...

Shero trade 2 second rounders 2X 3 rounders, Adam Larsson for Kyle Palmieri, Marcus freaking Johansson and Taylor Hall!

He draft hischier and Mcleod... so we shall see for those 2.

Trust the GM... I love Shero from day 1 and he loves to surprise us... this trade came out of nowwhere just like the Hall trade.

who knows what next with him.

How much you drink bro?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Isn't McLeod the most natural center man of the three draft picks? Can't see why he'd play wing. 

If I'm hynes I'd want to see what Hall and MoJo have together: I'd love to see (maybe not immediately, I'll give you that)

Hall-Nico-Mojo 

Henrique-Zajac-Palmieri

Zacha-McLeod-??? 

Id love to see how Q looks next year. I also think Wood can play third line minutes. I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole hell of a lot about Blake speers 

Depends on the path they take to develop him. Hockey is "simpler" with less responsibilities breaking in as a wing compared to center. I had a coach who always used to say centers play chess while wingers play checkers. They can throw him to the wolves at center but I'm not sure that is the best idea with going in as a predominately young team. 

We, as a forum, are officially bipolar.

I was fine with yesterday (nothing you can do when your target says there is more beyond salary and term), and obviously pleased with tonight.

Im interested to see how the defense shapes up and which forward we ship out.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Depends on the path they take to develop him. Hockey is "simpler" with less responsibilities breaking in as a wing compared to center. I had a coach who always used to say centers play chess while wingers play checkers. They can throw him to the wolves at center but I'm not sure that is the best idea with going in as a predominately young team. 

Seemingly everyone plays or is listed as center at the lower levels because it's harder and they are the best players.    Remember when we drafted Parise... he was a center.    Look at round 1 this year.

I know we are invested as a fan base as Nico being our center...   but there was a lot predraft on him moving to wing (or better suited) in the NHL

4 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I know we are invested as a fan base as Nico being our center...   but there was a lot predraft on him moving to wing (or better suited) in the NHL

Not calling you a liar, and admittedly I don't follow the draft stuff as close as some, but I haven't seen or heard that once. Do you remember the source?