2017-18 Potential Lines

Jas0nMacIsaac

It is always good to spitball ideas about possibly combinations even if NJ adds one or two more pieces before camp. This gives us an idea of the looks we may see moving forward. Also, with 12 days left in my deployment its a good way for me to kill time. Here is what I would like to see going into camp.

Taylor Hall - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri

Zajac really improved this past season, he seemed to actually focus some efforts on offense. This line is a  below average first line in the NHL but as Zajac gets passed by Hischier and hopefully McLeod, the line will improve. Palmieri and Hall seemed to click and a full season together should have Palmieri back over 30 goals. This line has one elite driver and two complimentary players.

Adam Henrique - Nico Hischier - Marcus Johansson

I really thought hard and long about the 2nd and 3rd lines. Do you look for balance with Henrique on the 3rd line or do you support Hischier as much as possible and I decided on the latter. I believe Hischier will be a driver, maybe not in his first year but watching him at the WJC against players 2 years older, he carries the puck and pushes the pace. Johansson is a driver as well, his style should mesh well with the rookie. Henrique is a complimentary player who should finally put up some better shot totals and maybe close 30 goals again.

Pavel Zacha - Michael McLeod - Blake Speers

This is the definition of the kid line. This is a great combination of speed and skill that should put a lot of shots up against the opposition off the rush. All 3 players center last year with McLeod and Speers bring very good on faceoffs, this should allow this line to cheat on faceoffs and gain possession early in shifts. This line will be very exciting.

Joseph Blandisi - Brian Boyle - Stefan Noesen

This should be a very competitive 4th line in the NHL that should create quite a bit of offense. Boyle is great on faceoffs and finishes quite often for a 4th liner. Blandisi drives play and his playmaking skills should be an asset with two bangers. Boyle should give this line a semblance of stability in the defensive zone.

Nick Lappin,

Andy Greene - Damon Severson

Why not stack one pairing, atleast 1/3 of the time we will be able to create offense. They worked well in the past and Severson should be able to take another step forward with some more offensive players up front.

John Moore - Steven Santini

Now it's just throwing names together and hoping it sticks. NJ needs more defensmen.

Mirco Mueller - Ben Lovejoy

Who knows, maybe Mirco Mueller turns out to be a stud.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac
  • Like 1

Damn, missing on Shattenkirk stings. Lots of forwards, didn't even have to mention Quennville or Wood. 

What kind of value would Henrique and a 2nd have around the league? Fowler, Trouba, top flight D? Sucks because Henrique shores up that second line. Perhaps Jagr on a 1 year band aid if they move Henrique. 

Hard to believe that all of the above forwards plus Wood plus Quenneville will be here come the start of the season. The more I look at all of these forwards, the more I think a trade for some D help is in the wings. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Lil premature on D pairings. i think Shero will sign Franson or trade for another RD. 

It was a fairly unreliable source, but something mentioned Tyson Barrie as possibly being traded to the Devils.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Taylor Hall - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri

Adam Henrique - Nico Hischier - Marcus Johansson

Pavel Zacha - Michael McLeod - Blake Speers.

Agree 100% 1st line,  but I still think we will make a move with a left wing/center (as in Henrique/zajac.) But until then I have zacha as the 2nd center with nico on the 3rd. Nico plays C with mcleod LW and Noesen RW, (to start the season) 

Boyles line mates are blandisi and wood, don't know much about speers,  but lapin and he can fight for minutes here

Quenenville needs to squeeze in somewhere too.  

17 hours ago, Daniel said:

It was a fairly unreliable source, but something mentioned Tyson Barrie as possibly being traded to the Devils.

i read that too - puck and pitchforks. i think it's nothing more than speculation based on possible needs of both teams. i know barrie puts up points but i get the sense he's moore-level bad in his own zone. 

18 hours ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

This should be a very competitive 4th line in the NHL that should create quite a bit of offense. Boyle is great on faceoffs and finishes quite often for a 4th liner. Blandisi drives play and his playmaking skills should be an asset with two bangers. Boyle should give this line a semblance of stability in the defensive zone.

I know the Devils are going to sh!t or get off the pot w/ Blandisi and I know that Wood seems to have no fvcking clue what he's doing out there half the time, but I would expect that he's going to be the 4th line LW over either Blender or Quenville due to what he can bring when he's not completely out of position:

he's good for at least 2 odd man rushes/breakaways per game because of his speed

his size allows him to go for hits should it be needed

he can throw down in the rare event its needed

he can PK - not well, mind you - but they tried him at it last year

- he's big enough to clog up lanes

- he's fast enough to be a SH threat

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

I know the Devils are going to sh!t or get off the pot w/ Blandisi and I know that Wood seems to have no fvcking clue what he's doing out there half the time, but I would expect that he's going to be the 4th line LW over either Blender or Quenville due to what he can bring when he's not completely out of position:

he's good for at least 2 odd man rushes/breakaways per game because of his speed

his size allows him to go for hits should it be needed

he can throw down in the rare event its needed

he can PK - not well, mind you - but they tried him at it last year

- he's big enough to clog up lanes

- he's fast enough to be a SH threat

Agree 100% about Wood. He's perfect for the neo-enforcer role; a guy who isnt a heavyweight but can throw the body and tussle when necessary in addition to making meaningful contributions on the ice. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

We gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for Mueller. I trust our professional scouting way more than I trust myself. Mueller will play 2nd d-pair minutes until he proves he can't; because it took the same to acquire him as it did to acquire Kyle Palmieri and Marcus Johansson. 

Not to nit-pick but (here I go) we gave up a 2nd & a late 4th and got a 5th back for Mueller... :D

ETA: 49th (from BOS) and 123 (from Nash).

Edited by LittleBallofHate

22 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Wood having to wait up for Boyle could be a problem. 

Yes and no. We saw many times last year, the play for Wood was the high lob toward the boards and Wood speeds past the defense to get it. It was pretty damn effective too, Wood caused mayhem chasing the puck. A Wood and Boyle line will be super annoying for opposing teams to play against, I think.

• Like 1

I don't see Bastian making the team, but I don't find it unlikely he ends up in the last 28 or so guys at camp. Why not keep him around and get a clearer picture on where his development stands? Find out how far he is from being a top 9 contributor on this team by giving him some meaningful preseason games on a 3rd line with say Henrique and Zacha, and after you know more by all means ship him back to 'Sauga.

1 minute ago, RizzMB30 said:

Did the Steelheads move Bastian away from McCleod?

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

They did, Bastian centered the 2nd line with Owen Tippett on one of his wings, McLeod centered the 1st with his brother Ryan on the left and Spencer Watson on the right.

Edited by CommonDreads

7 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

We gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for Mueller. I trust our professional scouting way more than I trust myself. Mueller will play 2nd d-pair minutes until he proves he can't; because it took the same to acquire him as it did to acquire Kyle Palmieri and Marcus Johansson. 

No denying Shero does well in acquiring forwards, but they're a bit different from defensemen. You can also look at the defenseman they've brought in in recent years and wonder if something's not wrong with their evaluation of D...

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

No denying Shero does well in acquiring forwards, but they're a bit different from defensemen. You can also look at the defenseman they've brought in in recent years and wonder if something's not wrong with their evaluation of D...

Agree 100000%. I don't trust Shero's evaluation on d