2017-18 Potential Lines

Jas0nMacIsaac

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

If I'm NJ - without being presumptive about a trade which I still believe will happen, I'm going out and grabbing Markov for 2 years. Overpay him; who cares, we've got the cap room and we missed on Shattenkirk.

Taylor Hall - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri

Pavel Zacha - Nico Hischier - Marcus Johansson

Adam Henrique - Michael McLeod - John Quenneville

Joseph Blandisi/Blake Speers - Brian Boyle - Stefan Noesen

Greene - Markov

Severson - Mueller

Santini - Lovejoy

That's a top-9 that rivals anything the Devils have skated out there post-lockout. Obviously the defense isn't quite there; but that's a third line that doesn't make me groan and get something from the fridge.

Also, I've decided I'm going to be the defender of Mueller. I trust sHero blindly; in three years he's gotten us Palms, Hall, and MoJo... sure, his track record isn't nearly as polished with defenseman but I have to believe this was a professional scout (or even an amateur scout, the kid is young) telling Shero to go and get him. I'm excited to see what he can do with top-4 minutes on a consistent basis. 

Mueller played parts of 3 seasons with San Jose. Soooooo many of you were 100% ready to trade Adam Larsson for a 4th round pick after his third season with New Jersey. Defenseman take time and they take minutes. We're going to give them to him. 

Agree 100% on all points.  Let's see what Mueller can do, or at least if he can develop into Merrill's replacement.  Can't be too lofty of a goal.  The lineup looks infinitely better with a guy like Markov helping our PP.  I'm sure another tough year ahead, but would make things interesting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Agree 100000%. I don't trust Shero's evaluation on d

Shero inherited most of his D-corp...Quincey was a one-year what the hell guy, who was later dealt for a what the hell guy in Prout...Moore was signed to be a young, cheap multi-year stopgap, who's contract is expiring just as the Devils are starting to look like they'll turn the corner...he did a fair job in what was a warm-body kind of role.  Killjoy's been Shero's worst D move so far (I think Shero thought he'd be a stabilizing kind of vet), but even then, it's not like he's owed a ton of money or signed to a lot of years. 

At least with Shattenkirk, it's clear that Shero will attempt to acquire upper-tier defensemen whenever one is available and makes sense.  He did a fair amount of shopping at the D discount rack the past couple of years, as far as trying to plug holes on D went.  I think Mueller is a different kind of acquisition myself...I think Shero sees something in him that he really likes...I don't think he's seen as another filler kind of piece.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

One of Shero's minor hiccups so far was letting Schlemko go. I know that was a one-year stop-gap trade deadline move, a la Stempniak, but he played very well and could've definitely be useful this season.

Agreed, I felt he was our best skater since Neidermeyer

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

One of Shero's minor hiccups so far was letting Schlemko go. I know that was a one-year stop-gap trade deadline move, a la Stempniak, but he played very well and could've definitely be useful this season.

I don't consider that a hiccup (even a minor one)...Schlemko's main issue is that he misses a ton of games...the 67 games he played in for the Devils remains his career high (he played in 62 this past season).  Some feel that the Devils having tons of cap room meant that you could've taken a flyer on him for another year or two...that I could understand...but never would I give him four years at the money he got, the way that the Sharks did (though it wouldn't surprise me if they knew that exposing him would mean that he'd probably be taken by Vegas in the expansion draft).  And guys like him float around for a reason...since 2015, he's played for the Coyotes, Stars, Flames, Devils, Sharks, been taken by the Golden Knights in the expansion draft, then traded to the Canadiens. 

If Shero hiccupped at all, it was not moving Schlemko at the deadline for a pick...but considering that he somehow got the top pick of the 2017 third round (63rd overall) for Eric Gelinas, I'll give him a pass on that one. 

48 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

Prout and Lovejoy is enough for me to determine this. There was also his great love for Scuderi and Orpik in Pitt

Scuderi and Orpik were both very solid defensemen when Shero had them in Pittsburgh, they're obviously not that anymore though. May we not forget, Shero won a Cup in Pitt and two Eastern Conference titles with those two on his blue line.

Edited by CommonDreads

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Hall-Hischier-Johannsen

Quenneville-McLeod-Speers

Henrique-Zajac-Palmieri

Zacha-Boyle-Wood

Last year's lines didn't work imo.

I'd flip flop either Henrique/Quenneville or Speers/Palmieri, I think. 

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd flip flop either Henrique/Quenneville or Speers/Palmieri, I think. 

I was thinking that too just for experience to be present on every line but then I thought about the potential speed of that McLeod line.

2 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Hall-Hischier-Johannsen

Quenneville-McLeod-Speers

Henrique-Zajac-Palmieri

Zacha-Boyle-Wood

Last year's lines didn't work imo.

There's no way Zacha is playing on the 4th line, and I'll be livid if he does. Only way he's gonna learn to be a top 6 NHL forward is by playing quality minutes with quality players.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

There's no way Zacha is playing on the 4th line, and I'll be livid if he does. Only way he's gonna learn to be a top 6 NHL forward is by playing quality minutes with quality players.

I'm fine rotating him and Q out of that 2nd line LW to see who does better.

13 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

In a world where you can reasonably consider Zacha on the 4th line, you have too many forwards. 

On 7/6/2017 at 9:23 AM, Martyisth3b3st said:

If I'm NJ - without being presumptive about a trade which I still believe will happen, I'm going out and grabbing Markov for 2 years. Overpay him; who cares, we've got the cap room and we missed on Shattenkirk.

Taylor Hall - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri

Pavel Zacha - Nico Hischier - Marcus Johansson

Adam Henrique - Michael McLeod - John Quenneville

Joseph Blandisi/Blake Speers - Brian Boyle - Stefan Noesen

Greene - Markov

Severson - Mueller

Santini - Lovejoy

That's a top-9 that rivals anything the Devils have skated out there post-lockout. Obviously the defense isn't quite there; but that's a third line that doesn't make me groan and get something from the fridge.

Also, I've decided I'm going to be the defender of Mueller. I trust sHero blindly; in three years he's gotten us Palms, Hall, and MoJo... sure, his track record isn't nearly as polished with defenseman but I have to believe this was a professional scout (or even an amateur scout, the kid is young) telling Shero to go and get him. I'm excited to see what he can do with top-4 minutes on a consistent basis. 

Mueller played parts of 3 seasons with San Jose. Soooooo many of you were 100% ready to trade Adam Larsson for a 4th round pick after his third season with New Jersey. Defenseman take time and they take minutes. We're going to give them to him. 

I really like these lines a lot, and I hope that Hynes separates Hall and Hischier in a way similar to how you did here. I'm still not sure LW is where Zacha ends up. He could still be a center, and I wouldn't count out trying him at RW. In his OHL games, you'll see that he scores a lot of goals from the right side or from cutting across right to left. With a shot like his, he could potentially pull off some Ovechkin- or Kovalchuk-type plays from time to time if he plays on his off wing. If he ends up being a center, having Zacha and Hischier as the top two centers could be a really good thing.

Re: Markov, I agree that he would make this team's D look substantially better, but I don't see it happening from either Markov's or Shero's end. Markov probably would want to go to a contender, if anything. He's still got something left in the tank, and I imagine there will be a couple of more competitive teams that would take him on a short term deal. I also think Shero is building for the future, and isn't exactly concerned with filling any spaces with short term fixes.

But honestly, I would be very happy with having this team give the young players a lot of ice time and responsibility. If the Devils are bad for one more year, that'll be okay because things are going to turn around soon. Plus, a chance at drafting Rasmus Dahlin would be fine with me. That guy could be one of the final pieces that the Devils need to be a serious contender in a few years. Dahlin might be a Hedman-level player.

The lines at the start of the season will not resemble the ones at the end of the season,,... hopefully!!!  Some youngsters absolutely need to step up and supplant the vets in front of them.

Signed, Capt. Obvious

Edited by EdgeControl