July 2017 Devils' Development Camp Thread

Triumph

8 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

How did Popugayev look?

Honestly didn't see him much to comment , 3 of his 4 games weren't ok the side I was on. Since they were doing 2 games at once I was just watching the games in front of me. 

I saw Nico 3 of his 4 games on my side and he looks great but it's really hard to judge a lot on 3 on 3 like this. I'm really looking forward to Saturday when it's more of a real game. 

18 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I doubt there is some plan to suppress the new jerseys.  Either the stock has not come in yet from Adidas or they are just wanting to use up old stock.  There is a good chance players like McLeod and Quenneville are using the same practice jerseys that they used last year in development and training camp.

Yeah, exactly.  I'd love it if that were true, because I'm not a fan of the jerseys at all, but there's no way that's what's happening.  

19 hours ago, '7' said:

Well, if you look at the volume of negative responses and anger that followed every tweet or instagram post about the jersey, why would they want to keep pushing this? It's very bad PR to keep upsetting your fans. Now if you look at the responses to the pics they recently posted, people are happy to see the Devils looking good again. Isn't that what everybody wants?

See post above. They made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.  I'm not even convinced that the Devils marketing/creative team will admit or accept that they're not so great or at the very least haven't been well received, but even if they did, they're still not going to abandon them and stop marketing them.  It is what it is. We're going to be stuck with these for probably two years at least, so they have to try and sell them.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh man, A+ marketing Devils PR team, well done.

Want one so bad.

One of those seemingly "little" things that never happens with Lou still here.  Nothing against Lou (who I've defended a lot), but it's enjoyable to see this franchise try to be a little more accessible, open...and fun!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

They are playing 7 min games with the coaches blowing a whistle for line changes. 

2di5bw0.jpg

What the...?

Maybe I'm missing the point but...they're playing a game the width of the rink rather than the length?  How is that remotely close to a real game?  What exactly could it be showcasing? I mean...there's not even boards on the right side of that picture to keep the puck in play?? lol

Maybe it's all for fun and just to get their legs moving?  If that's the case, I guess I get it, but I did not expect to see this lol.

Met the great Sundstrom today, which was cool. 

Unfortunately, Nico's and Zacha's teams were on the other side of the arena for 3 of the 4 games.

Nico came over after the first two games and he looked pretty gassed to be honest. He gave an interview yesterday saying he hasnt been on the ice much and it sort of showed. Of course, he showed off great hands and edgework, but that extra gear wasnt there. Still, you can tell he's quite the talent and even potted home a goal. Wish we would've gotten another game on our side, but beggars cant be choosers. Would like to hear from people who saw him in 3 of the 4. From what I heard, he scored a highlight reel goal in the first game.

Zacha, same deal, we only saw him once. He scored on a bullet of a one timer and won the shootout for his team in the first game. He looked among the best we saw all day, as he should. 

The big winner, in my opinion, was Jesper Boqvist. Had the treat of watching him in every game and he absolutely dominated. His hands and vision are top notch. Even more impressive since his his game is built on speed and he obviously didnt have much room to operate. 

Popugaev was another guy who stood out in a good way. He's 6'5 and a pretty good skater. He and McLeod looked very good together.

This isnt the type of drill McLeod excels in, but I thought he was good. Like I said, he and Big Poppy showed great chemistry together. McLeod's hands are much more impressive than I realized. 

Really liked Reilly Walsh and Blake Speers as well.

BTW, Miles Wood is the worst. The guy was absolutely terrible in this drill and still hasnt learned how to play hockey. He was taking runs at people and was constantly fumbling the puck and making terrible passes. .

All in all, it was a well put together event by the Devils. Hope some high quality videos surface.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bDUDUjFZTEtKcnBKQk5LTm58MURYR3l5V2RtWWVHTaJIIzzczfKu7MKsaLAR51wm_foqZsrghNsFUCUGKjoB

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bDUDjDFZTEtKcnBKQk5LTm58MXZPeHd2ZGpFV29KQlwt6dlaExxP1sjHTjMzC8f1PCCli5-ZC0Ov8MEzKxbW

Don't know how well those will work now, but those were the two periscopes I did on the far side rink. I ended up meeting up w/ @SMantzas. Great to put a face w/ the name. I thought the Devils did a great job w/ the entire event. The guys we saw the most were Boqvist/Zetterlund and Wood/Santini/Bastian. Man o man did Boqvist have his way out there - he looked damn good both offensively and defensively. Popugaev was also impressive - both in size and ability. Mantz basically treated Wood like I used to treat Malakhov. What little I saw of Nico - talent is so clearly there but I thought he looked tired. I think it's a good bet that he has not been training as much since the draft with everything going on. I think he said as much in an interview yesterday.

I thought Walsh and Talvite also looked good too.

I was holding out hope that Wood learned how to play hockey in 3 months, but I was askign way too much. What a meathead

• Like 2

I was holding out hope that Wood learned how to play hockey in 3 months, but I was askign way too much. What a meathead

As I've mentioned with Wood, he needs to be coached up. He's as raw as frozen hamburger meat, but he has talent. Sadly, I don't think this coaching staff is gonna help him much because they suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Nico was definitely getting gassed and taking a knee in between some shifts but soon as he got back in the games he was absolutely fine so I don't think it's anything to think twice about. Like you guys said he's been so busy with all this other promotional stuff that he's not up to game shape yet anyway but it's only July so that's the start of all this anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Nico was definitely getting gassed and taking a knee in between some shifts but soon as he got back in the games he was absolutely fine so I don't think it's anything to think twice about. Like you guys said he's been so busy with all this other promotional stuff that he's not up to game shape yet anyway but it's only July so that's the start of all this anyway. 

Oh yeah, not concerned at all. His biggest focus for summer is getting stronger, so I wouldnt doubt that he's hardly stepped on the ice. Like soccer, you can run all you want, but until you get into soccer (or hockey) shape, you're gonna be gassed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

As I've mentioned with Wood, he needs to be coached up. He's as raw as frozen hamburger meat, but he has talent. Sadly, I don't think this coaching staff is gonna help him much because they suck.

Coaches can only do so much.  If you can't handle a puck on a pass or can't stickhandle without losing the puck, the coaches cannot help.

Coaches can only do so much.  If you can't handle a puck on a pass or can't stickhandle without losing the puck, the coaches cannot help.

I was speaking more to his play away from and without the puck- I want to see Wood play smarter. He needs to think the game, and good coaching could at least help him with that. I wish Lemaire was still in the organization... Wood could learn a ton from him.

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

It's 3 on 3.... 3 on 3 for a full length of the ice is a quick way to skate around with minimal interaction between the players (not working on the hands or vision really at all)

But that isn't the full length of the ice...?  They're going vertically from side boards to side boards instead of goal to goal?  I would think a scrimmage like that would actually be working on the very things you said they weren't (vision, hands, etc).  If they're not working on vision and hands, I guess that means they're working on shooting?  And if that's the case, I mean, I have a beer like game tonight myself, and I feel like I could easily shoot from side boards to side boards with some heat behind the shot.... it wouldn't even be a challenge for an NHLer, soooo....

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

Met the great Sundstrom today, which was cool. 

Unfortunately, Nico's and Zacha's teams were on the other side of the arena for 3 of the 4 games.

Nico came over after the first two games and he looked pretty gassed to be honest. He gave an interview yesterday saying he hasnt been on the ice much and it sort of showed. Of course, he showed off great hands and edgework, but that extra gear wasnt there. Still, you can tell he's quite the talent and even potted home a goal. Wish we would've gotten another game on our side, but beggars cant be choosers. Would like to hear from people who saw him in 3 of the 4. From what I heard, he scored a highlight reel goal in the first game.

Zacha, same deal, we only saw him once. He scored on a bullet of a one timer and won the shootout for his team in the first game. He looked among the best we saw all day, as he should. 

The big winner, in my opinion, was Jesper Boqvist. Had the treat of watching him in every game and he absolutely dominated. His hands and vision are top notch. Even more impressive since his his game is built on speed and he obviously didnt have much room to operate. 

Popugaev was another guy who stood out in a good way. He's 6'5 and a pretty good skater. He and McLeod looked very good together.

This isnt the type of drill McLeod excels in, but I thought he was good. Like I said, he and Big Poppy showed great chemistry together. McLeod's hands are much more impressive than I realized. 

Really liked Reilly Walsh and Blake Speers as well.

BTW, Miles Wood is the worst. The guy was absolutely terrible in this drill and still hasnt learned how to play hockey. He was taking runs at people and was constantly fumbling the puck and making terrible passes. .

All in all, it was a well put together event by the Devils. Hope some high quality videos surface.

Are you this guy on HF - "Baemon Severson" ,

If not, he jacked your post, lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

But that isn't the full length of the ice...?  They're going vertically from side boards to side boards instead of goal to goal?  I would think a scrimmage like that would actually be working on the very things you said they weren't (vision, hands, etc).  If they're not working on vision and hands, I guess that means they're working on shooting?  And if that's the case, I mean, I have a beer like game tonight myself, and I feel like I could easily shoot from side boards to side boards with some heat behind the shot.... it wouldn't even be a challenge for an NHLer, soooo....

Full 5 on 5 scrimmage is later his week, 3 on 3 lets them have a little tournament format which is fun and playing it the width of the ice keeps the playing surface tight. Like MB mentioned, if it was 3 on 3 the full length of the ice that isn't helping the players showcase or improve anything because of how much space there is, 3 on 3 on the width of the ice helps develop hands in tight and keeps your decision making quick.

Just watched some of those periscope videos and I see the drills better.  Just not a huge fan of that as a whole.  Definitely gets the hands and legs working a little bit and showcases what guys can do in tight space and highlights their reaction time, but it's pretty far removed from a game and not entirely realistic.  Not saying it's terrible and not saying it isn't fun, but I'll be more interested to see them play the full length of the rink and understanding their situational awareness.  I want to see breakouts, backchecking, and puck movement.  Honestly for something like this that showcases agility and quick hands, I'd rather see them set up in a 5 on 4 and simulate Powerplays.  Feel like that would showcase some of what they're doing in these 3on3 drills, but put it within the context of a more realistic situation.

Still cool though.  I enjoyed the vids.

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Full 5 on 5 scrimmage is later his week, 3 on 3 lets them have a little tournament format which is fun and playing it the width of the ice keeps the playing surface tight. Like MB mentioned, if it was 3 on 3 the full length of the ice that isn't helping the players showcase or improve anything because of how much space there is, 3 on 3 on the width of the ice helps develop hands in tight and keeps your decision making quick.

Yeah, for sure.  I get it. And it is cool. Just not a huge fan.  Just elaborated on this a bit more in my post above, but I'll be more interested in the 5 on 5, that's all.

1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

Yup. I mess with Flyers fans a good deal on there lol 

And I love every bit of it lol. I got banned rather quickly for calling out that roomadbro clown.

If they handed out trophy's for bragging about your prospect pool, the Flyers would need a separate facility to house them. 

• Like 2