Devils name Roland Melanson new goalie coach

MadDog2020

19 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Interesting. Has history with Cory. And you wonder if Schneider inconsistency last year Had part to do w/ Terreri not being able to help correct. 

I get the sense that changing goalie coaches is either guess work or meant for psychological effect, like firing a manager in the middle of a season just to motivate the players.  

I mean Cory had his best season ever in terms of save percentage with Terreri as the goalie coach.  What exactly did Terreri forget to tell him this year that caused Cory to have a terrible season. 

But whatevs.  If it works it works.

Will the asst coaches get a makeover? our PP was very good at times, as was our PK. Scott Stevens in for Nesredine?

While I'd love to see Stevens back in NJ as a coach, I'm just not sure if Stevens would be at the top of his(Shero's) list.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

No Stevens unless it's as the HC.

Because you know as soon as the team starts to struggle the clamoring for him to replace Hynes would begin.

What's the difference, that dude will be here posting FIRE HYNES whether Stevens is here or not. 

I never got what people saw in Stevens' coaching during his time here. Toward the tail end of his time as assistant coach, Schneider was seeing 35-45 shots against per night and we were in the middle of a massive losing streak. I don't really get it.

17 hours ago, DJ Eco said:

I never got what people saw in Stevens' coaching during his time here. Toward the tail end of his time as assistant coach, Schneider was seeing 35-45 shots against per night and we were in the middle of a massive losing streak. I don't really get it.

I think people, myself included admittedly, are tempted to think that he is / will be / can become a great coach since he was such a legendary player.

Obviously though being a great player isn't always correlated with being a great coach (see: Gretzky).

Six degrees of Roland Melanson:  when Chico Resch and Steve Tambellini were traded to the Rockies from the Islanders, part of the reason this was done was for the Isles to make room for the then-20-year-old Melanson...he enjoyed his best years by far with the Islanders (much like Chico, he put up very good regular season numbers each season he was there, but Billy Smith had established himself as the clear #1 goalie come playoff time, during all four Cup runs and the year following Cup #4...Smith went 69-21 in those five playoff seasons).  Things went south pretty quickly for him after his Islander tenure...after some very mediocre-to-poor seasons in his mid-to-late 20s with the North Stars and Kings, he spent most of the rest of his career in the minors. 

Melanson also played 20 minutes as a Devil in 1990-91, but spent most of his time in the organization (two seasons) playing with Utica...he went in the deal (along with Kirk Muller) in the deal that brought the Devils Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske from Montreal.  You can easily argue that it was Melanson's presence in that deal that made it a loss for Montreal...Muller obviously helped Montreal win a Cup (as did Richer with the Devils not too long thereafter), so I've always considered it a "good deal for both teams" kind of trade, but Melanson played in just 9 games for Montreal.  The Devils got 244 games out of Chorske, and though his stone hands were no match for his fleet feet, he did have his moments here. 

Six degrees of Roland Melanson:  when Chico Resch and Steve Tambellini were traded to the Rockies from the Islanders, part of the reason this was done was for the Isles to make room for the then-20-year-old Melanson...he enjoyed his best years by far with the Islanders (much like Chico, he put up very good regular season numbers each season he was there, but Billy Smith had established himself as the clear #1 goalie come playoff time, during all four Cup runs and the year following Cup #4...Smith went 69-21 in those five playoff seasons).  Things went south pretty quickly for him after his Islander tenure...after some very mediocre-to-poor seasons in his mid-to-late 20s with the North Stars and Kings, he spent most of the rest of his career in the minors. 
Melanson also played 20 minutes as a Devil in 1990-91, but spent most of his time in the organization (two seasons) playing with Utica...he went in the deal (along with Kirk Muller) in the deal that brought the Devils Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske from Montreal.  You can easily argue that it was Melanson's presence in that deal that made it a loss for Montreal...Muller obviously helped Montreal win a Cup (as did Richer with the Devils not too long thereafter), so I've always considered it a "good deal for both teams" kind of trade, but Melanson played in just 9 games for Montreal.  The Devils got 244 games out of Chorske, and though his stone hands were no match for his fleet feet, he did have his moments here. 

fvcking Chorske... If he just buries an easy look in game 6 against the Rags, it's 3-0 and we're still chanting 1940 today. Then he bones us in '96 with Ottawa in that last game of the season that knocked us out of the playoffs. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvcking Chorske... If he just buries an easy look in game 6 against the Rags, it's 3-0 and we're still chanting 1940 today. Then he bones us in '96 with Ottawa in that last game of the season that knocked us out of the playoffs. emoji35.png

Ironically Chorske was actually pretty good at converting shots as a Devil...he owned a 14.4 shooting% here (I never would've guessed that either)...shooting%s were higher back then of course, but that's still way better than I would've expected...I remember so many missed breakaway opportunities from him.  I remember when he got off to a terrific start in his first season here, in '91-'92 (6 G and 6 A in his first 13 GP as a Devil)...I remember thinking "Damn, who is this guy?!"  Vilgrain started hot too...18 points in his first 20 GP (7 G and 11 A)...Kevin Todd had a nice run to start his rookie season too (27 points in his first 29 games), but that was often the Devil MO back in the earlier days...very fast starts (especially offensively), then a downturn.  They even did that as the Rockies at times.  I remember the '91-'92 Devils being one of four teams to reach 100 GF first (McVie even pointed it out)...then the goals came at a much lesser rate for much of the rest of that season...I think they wound up around middle-of-the-pack that year in GF, and a shade above average. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvcking Chorske... If he just buries an easy look in game 6 against the Rags, it's 3-0 and we're still chanting 1940 today. Then he bones us in '96 with Ottawa in that last game of the season that knocked us out of the playoffs. emoji35.png

I was at that game against Ottawa and I have hated them ever since. I can remember sitting there in the arena while everyone else was leaving, which I never do, I usually run right out the door. How on earth did we win a Cup one year and miss the playoffs the next?

Obviously I knew how, but I still sat there in stunned disbelief. 

• Like 1

I was at that game against Ottawa and I have hated them ever since. I can remember sitting there in the arena while everyone else was leaving, which I never do, I usually run right out the door. How on earth did we win a Cup one year and miss the playoffs the next?

Obviously I knew how, but I still sat there in stunned disbelief. 

That Ottawa game... Ugh. I was 17 at the time and had been on a family vacation in Florida that entire week (spring break from school)- we had an early morning flight home, and arrived back in NJ early that afternoon. I was able to get in front of the TV just in time for the opening face-off... When it was over, I felt like I had my heart ripped out of my chest and stomped on. How the actual fvck do you to lose to one of the worst teams in NHL history (that '96 Sens team was expansion-level bad) on the last fvcking day AT HOME in a win and you're in scenario as the defending champs?! I wanted to punch every last Devil in the face repeatedly for about a month after that.