2018 NHL Draft Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

1 hour ago, Derlique said:

They could honestly stand to upgrade in two or three spots depending on how you view Severson. 

x-Vatanen

Butcher-Severson

Greene-x

Now aside from Davies and maybe Walsh, there isn't much there in the system that could conceivably make an impact at this level. 

Is Jacob Macdonald just not something to even be considered? Ray said he was going to give him a contract (likely 2 way). I know that he's probably Butcher-lite (and 3 years older) but is that a bad thing?

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm sorry, did they name that place the Gaylord Entertainment Center??

You didn't know that? lol 

I haven't thought about their arena name in a while...what is it now, Bridgestone?

2 minutes ago, Henry Killinger said:

Haha! Yep. There are actually quite a few things in Nashville with the name Gaylord attached. I saw the Preds play San Jose there one year while it was still called Gaylord.

Yeah, I don't know exactly what that is or means, but it's popular outside of TN as well.  Pretty sure in Orlando there's a place called Gaylord Palms.  I think it's a hotel or something, and during the winter they do some crazy ice fest thing where they turn the inside into a huge winter wonderland type thing.

When I think of a Gaylord Entertainment Center, its something totally different. 

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You didn't know that? lol 

Pretty sure in Orlando there's a place called Gaylord Palms.  

Yup went right past it last time I was there, I believe it was called the Gaylord Palms Convention Center. Of course, I was the only one who found it funny at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

what's hilarious is how the commentators gush about NJ drafting and then show the last first round picks from 98 - 02 which were all humongous busts. In fact, if you go back and look, there's a lot of not much there after '98.

Gomez

Gionta

Parise

Martin

Parise

Zajac

Henrique

Larsson

Severson

Wood

That is literally anything really worth anything since 1998 for the Conte brain trust and that's pretty bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Shouldn’t Coleman be on that list?

i mean, you could put merrill and josefson on the list if you want too but i wouldn't and after one year, i'm not putting coleman there either.

look - if you want to think about it, yes larsson did net the devils taylor hall but that was almost dumb luck. revisionist history shows that larsson wasn't the right pick. scheifle, couterier and zabinijad are all better players (yes forwards) and dougie hamilton is probably a better defenseman. and this comes from a guy who absolutely loves adam larsson.

This is very much a defenseman's draft – if you're picking in the Top 15 or so. There's some really good, high-end defense prospects available this year, but I don't foresee any of the ones I'm really high on being available at 17. if you're looking at tiers of defensemen, this is how I see it personally:

Tier 1: Rasmus Dahlin – in a class of his own
Tier 2: Quinn Hughes, Adam Boqvist – High-end offensive defensemen, will both likely be gone by 5th or 6th
Tier 3: Evan Bouchard, Ryan Merkley – Elite attributes with some drawbacks, Bouchard I don't see having the high-end skill like Hughes or Boqvist, Merkley could drop due to defense and attitude. Bouchard I doubt makes it past 8th, Merkley is more of a wild card but is very, very good, in my eyes worth a top 10 gamble.
Tier 4: Noah Dobson, Ty Smith – Mobile, new-age NHL defensemen, #3 potential but I don't see top pair potential, both likely gone by 14 or 15 I'd wager.
Tier 5: Bode Wilde, Calen Addison, Jared McIsaac, Jonny Tychonick, Rasmus Sandin, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Nicolas Beaudin, Nils Lundkvist, Mattias Samuelsson, Adam Ginning, Alexander Alexeyev – This is the plateau, with maybe the exception of Wilde who is a sure fire 1st but I question having a high-end ceiling. Every one of those defensemen however I can make an argument for being in the 1st round, however I just as easily see drawbacks and arguments for why they're more likely tuned to be 2nd rounders.

Basically, I think 17 puts us in a spot where we should more likely go BPA with a forward instead of reaching for a defenseman, as most of the defensemen that I see as difference makers in a prospect pool I believe will be long gone by #17. Bode Wilde is the only one that gives me pause, however if there's a gun to my head I'd rather go BPA with someone like Dominik Bokk at that particular draft slot. Tier 4 are the two I see as realistic yet doubtful fallers to #17, and would be very happy to select either Dobson or Smith at that slot.

Edited by CommonDreads

55 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i mean, you could put merrill and josefson on the list if you want too but i wouldn't and after one year, i'm not putting coleman there either.

look - if you want to think about it, yes larsson did net the devils taylor hall but that was almost dumb luck. revisionist history shows that larsson wasn't the right pick. scheifle, couterier and zabinijad are all better players (yes forwards) and dougie hamilton is probably a better defenseman. and this comes from a guy who absolutely loves adam larsson.

I won’t eat Conte’s lunch for drafting Larsson.  Pretty much everyone thought that was a steal at the time.  

You do blame him big time for picks like Zacha, Chatham, Jacobs, Ben Thomson, Kujawinski, and Matteau.  Zacha was highly touted, but when you’re picking that high and your record has been really crappy, you need to have a crystal ball.  With the other people I mentioned, most of them were low upside guys when high upside players were still available.  

And back on topic, McIssac is a funny looking dude.

15 hours ago, sundstrom said:

Is Jacob Macdonald just not something to even be considered? Ray said he was going to give him a contract (likely 2 way). I know that he's probably Butcher-lite (and 3 years older) but is that a bad thing?

From reports, he seems to be the (young) Justin Schultz type defenseman who plays defense somewhat liberally.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

I won’t eat Conte’s lunch for drafting Larsson.  Pretty much everyone thought that was a steal at the time.  

You do blame him big time for picks like Zacha, Chatham, Jacobs, Ben Thomson, Kujawinski, and Matteau.  Zacha was highly touted, but when you’re picking that high and your record has been really crappy, you need to have a crystal ball.  With the other people I mentioned, most of them were low upside guys when high upside players were still available.  

And back on topic, McIssac is a funny looking dude.

And, lest we forget that defensive juggernaut, Matt Corrente

Today's D-man prospect c/o Pulz:  Bode Wilde.

Right-shooting defenseman for US National U18 Team, USDP

6'2" 196 lbs

59 games, 12G 29A 41 points

His draft rankings as of today are:

HockeyProspect - #13

ISS Hockey - #20

FutureConsiderations - #11

McKeens - #15

NHL Central Scouting - #17 (EU Skaters)

https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/8fdb9k/2018_nhl_draft_writeups_bode_wilde_d_usndtp/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

TSN's list of the Top 16 (it was supposed to be 15 but they couldn't narrow it) is here FWIW: https://www.tsn.ca/the-big-four-solidify-spots-in-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1066345

Hughes is way too low for my taste, for me he's the best defenseman behind Dahlin, I have him 4th.

Tkachuk is going to be drafted in the Top 5 regardless of what anyone says, but I don't think he should be discussed in the same class as Zadina or Svechnikov. I got Tkachuk ranked 9th, personally.

22 hours ago, sundstrom said:

I don't buy that anyone on that list definitely goes over Larsson in a re-draft besides Scheifele. Couturier and him are close, but depending on a team's needs, someone might take Larsson over him still. Couturier just had his first really good year. 

I also think the jury is still out on Zacha. Obviously you want Barzal there as was projected seemingly until draft day, but Zacha started looking really comfortable on the puck towards the end of the year, and I'm excited to see where he goes from here developmentally.

I'm pulling for Buffalo to land the lottery tonight. Definitely don't want to see Vancouver win it. 

20 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Ah for the love of god not fvcking MTL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're gonna hear about fvcking Dahlin day after day until draft day if they get #1 bud. We're fvcked. I'd almost feel bad for Dahlin if MTL ends up drafting him. There's a 75% chance they continually misuse him.

17 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

At least if it’s Montreal, Dahlin won’t hurt us as much because he’ll be playing for a completely inept management group. I still don’t have faith in Bergevin to build a team around Dahlin even if he got him. Carolina would worry me.

Yeah absolutely haha. Me and SD live in Quebec, so we're gonna hear how Dahlin will be the savior of the franchise for months if they end up getting the #1 pick, but that's the only downside lol. As I said, there's a big chance MTL misuse him badly. Poor guy (if he gets drafted by them).

At least if it’s Montreal, Dahlin won’t hurt us as much because he’ll be playing for a completely inept management group. I still don’t have faith in Bergevin to build a team around Dahlin even if he got him. Carolina would worry me.

Have you seen Carolina lately? Talk about inept.... Dundon is a moron. No one wants to work for him. They don’t worry me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Buffalo is most ideal, imo. They’re equally inept. How long has that rebuild been going on at this point? If the Habs add Dahlin and Price finds his game again they could be trouble. Let him go to the Sabres. 

• Like 1