2018 NHL Draft Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

Buffalo is most ideal, imo. They’re equally inept. How long has that rebuild been going on at this point? If the Habs add Dahlin and Price finds his game again they could be trouble. Let him go to the Sabres. 

All three franchises in the top three are inept. Three of the most horribly mismanaged teams in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

All three franchises in the top three are inept. Three of the most horribly mismanaged teams in the league.

Yeah, but like MitB said the Canes have a lot of good young talent on D, they’d be damn tough to play against with Dahlin. And 4 times a season? No thanks. 

• Like 1

Yeah, but like MitB said the Canes have a lot of good young talent on D, they’d be damn tough to play against with Dahlin. And 4 times a season? No thanks. 

Oh believe me I don’t want Dahlin in the division. I couldn’t care less if he ended up in Buffalo or Montreal though. Hopefully Carolina ends up in the 3 slot.

• Like 1

Only if we could have sucked for just one more year...oh well, it was one of the most enjoyable years of Devils hockey ever so well worth it.'

An elite D can change the entire dynamic of a team. Luckily all three lottery teams have enough problems that Dahlin won't be a panacea. I hope he goes to Montreal. The way the Montreal media will deify him will be vomit-inducing but I think they have the least potential moving forward.

11 hours ago, Anhkheg said:

NJ Devils 2018 1st/3rd/Zajac/Boyle/Greene/Lovejoy for Sabres 2018 1st round pick .. Sabres instantly qualify for next years 1st round pick as well

Only Edmonton would make that deal. 

That being said, I’d do it on our end. 

Edited by mfitz804

11 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I know it’s idiotic, but I would not trade this season for Dahlin. The growth of the team, return of the fan base to the Pru and Hall seeing he can win here.... pretty invaluable sh!t.

Yeah, there are some positive externalities derived from this season...no doubt. It's hard to see those returns but they're there. 

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's Buffalo..... This kid will probably have a career ending injury in his first game

Ouch, tha'ts harsh bro, as much as I would dislike Dahlin playing against us and roughing up our top players, I still enjoy watching skillful hockey. One of the most beautiful moments of being a Devils fan was watching Neidermeyer go end to end with such smooth strides and race back and catch up to the opposing forwards.

Well he was just in Buffalo for the WJC, so he knows what he's in for. I wonder if his face was similar to McDavid's when he found out he was about to have to live in Edmonton. 

I'm just joking, I think it's a great town, but for a foreigner who thought they might get to be in what I've heard is one of the most beautiful cities in North America to end up in a post-industrial Great Lakes town is probably an initial disappointment. I think New Jersey has a similarly bad reputation with people who don't know much about it. Guys love playing here, and most of us on this board understand how many amazing things this state offers, but for an 18 year old out of Sweden who probably grew up seeing movies that take place in New York and LA, it's probably not their first choice. Most NHL cities that these guys might not know anything about will at least impress on a quick Google image search. I think you gotta dig a little deeper to find some appreciation for Jersey or Buffalo. 

I've always been so interested in what it's like for 17 and 18 year old kids to be drafted, especially guys from overseas with little to no familiarity with North America. Imagine you're a high school junior and find out your career is going to take you to Bratislava or Porto. Yikes. 

Edited by thecoffeecake

23 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Have you seen Carolina lately? Talk about inept.... Dundon is a moron. No one wants to work for him. They don’t worry me at all.

Fair, Dundon is the wild card, he had a very good GM IMO in Ron Francis but now who knows what direction that team is going in because of Dundon.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned Carolina - I can't imagine it's a good thing that so many "hockey minds" are leaving at once... 

Devils Insiders Retweeted
jJou7Vv8_bigger.jpgCarolina HurricanesVerified account @NHLCanes 7h7 hours ago
MoreThe team also announced that Joe Nieuwendyk has resigned his position as pro scout and advisor.
Edited by LittleBallofHate
to separate two (merged) different topics

Don't think this guy will be on the Board when we choose but should we be so lucky... 

Ty Smith - Left-shooting defenseman for the Spokane Chiefs, WHL

5'10" 170 lbs

69 games, 14G 59A 73 points

His draft rankings as of today are:

HockeyProspect - #14

ISS Hockey - #11

FutureConsiderations - #7

McKeens - #16

NHL Central Scouting - #14 (NA Skaters)

https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/8g4qmw/2018_nhl_draft_writeups_ty_smith_d_spkane_whl/

Edited by LittleBallofHate

1 hour ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Don't think this guy will be on the Board when we choose but should we be so lucky... 

Ty Smith - Left-shooting defenseman for the Spokane Chiefs, WHL

5'10" 170 lbs

69 games, 14G 59A 73 points

His draft rankings as of today are:

HockeyProspect - #14

ISS Hockey - #11

FutureConsiderations - #7

McKeens - #16

NHL Central Scouting - #14 (NA Skaters)

https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/8g4qmw/2018_nhl_draft_writeups_ty_smith_d_spkane_whl/

Thanks for sharing these. Ty Smith is one of the few first round D that I haven't had much of a chance to look at yet, and this dude's posts have been great for getting up to speed.

Pretty interesting, you see a smallish D with a ton of points and you kind of suspect he might not be great defensively (at least I did), but it seems that his defensive game is just as strong, if not stronger, than his offense. I doubt he'll make it to the 17th pick, but there might be a couple of reasons for him to drop. Size for a defenseman might be important for some GMs, and there are a bunch of other guys in this draft who are already 6'2 and above. Plus, if it's that obvious that he isn't NHL ready yet, that could be another factor that causes him to drop. Honestly, from that writeup, it seems like Smith is just the player that this team needs, and I would be thrilled with someone who fits this description. Maybe he's worth trading up, if Shero has the opportunity.

36 minutes ago, nessus said:

Size for a defenseman might be important for some GMs

Sounds like a good guy to draft if he's available. After all, its not the size of your D that matters, its what you do with it. 

Wait, what?

1 hour ago, nessus said:

Thanks for sharing these. Ty Smith is one of the few first round D that I haven't had much of a chance to look at yet, and this dude's posts have been great for getting up to speed.

Pretty interesting, you see a smallish D with a ton of points and you kind of suspect he might not be great defensively (at least I did), but it seems that his defensive game is just as strong, if not stronger, than his offense. I doubt he'll make it to the 17th pick, but there might be a couple of reasons for him to drop. Size for a defenseman might be important for some GMs, and there are a bunch of other guys in this draft who are already 6'2 and above. Plus, if it's that obvious that he isn't NHL ready yet, that could be another factor that causes him to drop. Honestly, from that writeup, it seems like Smith is just the player that this team needs, and I would be thrilled with someone who fits this description. Maybe he's worth trading up, if Shero has the opportunity.

I imagine there are teams who are picking ahead of us who passed on Charlie McAvoy because of his size (he's 6' now) who won't make the same mistake again.

I don't think the Devils will trade up in the first round because they would have to part with a roster player or NHL ready prospect to do it (unless it's to move up between two or three spots, in which case you could probably give up someone like Speers or Quenneville to do it).  That's not something that playoff teams tend to do. 

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I imagine there are teams who are picking ahead of us who passed on Charlie McAvoy because of his size (he's 6' now) who won't make the same mistake again.

I don't think the Devils will trade up in the first round because they would have to part with a roster player or NHL ready prospect to do it (unless it's to move up between two or three spots, in which case you could probably give up someone like Speers or Quenneville to do it).  That's not something that playoff teams tend to do. 

I think Q's value is next to nil right now.  Feels like he's going to be making his way into non-prospect/pretty good AHLer territory very quickly if he doesn't start showing something more soon (it also wouldn't hurt if he showed up in decent shape come preseason). 

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Q's value is next to nil right now.  Feels like he's going to be making his way into non-prospect/pretty good AHLer territory very quickly if he doesn't start showing something more soon (it also wouldn't hurt if he showed up in decent shape come preseason). 

He put up good AHL numbers as a 20-21 year old former first round pick who I believe is waiver exempt for another year.  I imagine there are some teams out there who believe he could fill a bottom six role at worst, and might have more upside than that.  If Beau Bennett as an older reclamation project could get a third, Quenneville on his own might get you a second from a team that has a lot of picks, or might help the Devils move up a couple of spots in the first. 

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

He put up good AHL numbers as a 20-21 year old former first round pick who I believe is waiver exempt for another year.  I imagine there are some teams out there who believe he could fill a bottom six role at worst, and might have more upside than that.  If Beau Bennett as an older reclamation project could get a third, Quenneville on his own might get you a second from a team that has a lot of picks, or might help the Devils move up a couple of spots in the first. 

I really don't think the Bennett trade happens unless it's the guy who drafted him that trades for him. So I guess let's hope Lou gets a new gig soon! Or maybe Conte in Vegas...