2018 NHL Draft Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

3 NHL.com writers did a mock draft & here's who they had us picking FWIW:  https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-mock-draft-final-rasmus-dahlin-no-1/c-299112416?tid=277764372

17. New Jersey Devils

Kimelman -- Wilde: He checks all the boxes teams look for in defensemen: size, scoring touch (41 points in 61 games) and skating ability. The Devils need young defensemen, and with patience Wilde should evolve into a top-end player.

Morreale -- Rasmus Sandin, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): The 5-11, 186-pound left-shot defenseman has tremendous poise and hockey sense, and never puts teammates in a bad position with the puck. Sandin led OHL rookies with a plus-35 rating, and led rookie defensemen with 45 points (12 goals, 33 assists) in 51 games.

Lepage -- Denisenko: The forward did very well in his second season in Russia's junior league. He is blessed with individual skills and knows how to turn on the jets when a lane opens. He plays very aggressively and knows how to use his body. 

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Another article comparing Bode Wilde and K'Andre Miller if you'd like to check that out, I've seen a lot of mocks lately of us taking one of these guys so this in particular might be relevant to the Devils :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2018/06/19/2018-draft-wilde-vs-miller/

If wilde is anywhere near what this person writes, he's not available at 17... so scratch him off the list, :)

6 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

If wilde is anywhere near what this person writes, he's not available at 17... so scratch him off the list, :)

My gut feeling tells me Florida at 15th takes him, haven't really seen that anywhere just my gut. It's possible he falls a bit though because like I write, he is still pretty raw, I think he could boom into a real star though.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

Would you guys trade the 17th pick for Ryan O'Reilly?

He could be a nice complement on this roster.

I think O'Reilly could be a nice piece to a championship puzzle..

Not for me.

13 hours ago, njbuff said:

Buffalo would want a player for him.  Probably Hanifin.  

16 hours ago, njbuff said:

I totally would, because:

- He'd slot right in at 2C, pushing Zajac (permanently) to 3C.  I personally have zero faith in Zacha developing into a top-6 C at this point.

- He's young, and I'm not scared of that contract tbh.  7.5M isn't that much money for a 60+ point 2C.

- He's fantastic at faceoffs.

- You can only hope that the guy we pick at 17 turns into ROR in like 5 years.

This is assuming we don't get JT.  Timeline is tricky obviously.  I also don't think #17 alone gets him.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

I can't see trading the 17th pick for someone that isn't a defenseman.  I just think that's more of a pressing need right now, and if we don't select someone with that pick, I'd rather see us trade down and try to fill the void of picks we have in later rounds and hope that one or more of those picks materialize into something.

56 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't see trading the 17th pick for someone that isn't a defenseman.  I just think that's more of a pressing need right now, and if we don't select someone with that pick, I'd rather see us trade down and try to fill the void of picks we have in later rounds and hope that one or more of those picks materialize into something.

I'm always of the mind that you should use your 1st round pick and draft the best guy possible. The idea that there will only be crap left at #17 means that you aren't going to get anything great for it in a trade. 

But yeah, if we don't pick anyone, it'd be better to trade it than just say "we pass". ;) 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm always of the mind that you should use your 1st round pick and draft the best guy possible. The idea that there will only be crap left at #17 means that you aren't going to get anything great for it in a trade. 

I suppose that's true, though I think in this case it's not necessarily that there will be crap left, but rather that there just simply won't be any highly touted defenseman left.  I don't pay close attention to prospects and what the draft class is like, but there may very well be some quality forwards left at #17, it's just that I'd rather us hold out for a defenseman. 

But yeah, if we don't pick anyone, it'd be better to trade it than just say "we pass". ;)

You're one of those people who doesn't use Oxford commas, aren't you...? <_<:D

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I suppose that's true, though I think in this case it's not necessarily that there will be crap left, but rather that there just simply won't be any highly touted defenseman left.  I don't pay close attention to prospects and what the draft class is like, but there may very well be some quality forwards left at #17, it's just that I'd rather us hold out for a defenseman. 

I'd prefer just picking the best guy available in that instance. We aren't THAT stacked at the AHL level.

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You're one of those people who doesn't use Oxford commas, aren't you...? <_<:D

I'm one of those people who will point out when you misspeak if I think its funny. :) 

32 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

This kid is a Left Wing, got drafted 38th overall (2nd round, Panthers) in 2016 & didn't end up signing with them - going back into this year's draft FWIW... 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-sp-panthers-adam-mascherin-dale-tallon-20180620-story.html

I love Adam Mascherin, I had him rated as a 1st Rounder in 2016. He's close to NHL-ready, just needs a little extra time in the AHL, if he's there at our pick in the 4th Round I would jump all over that but I doubt he will be.

There's a "draft clinic" today in Dallas with all the top prospects and... Blake Coleman(!) sporting his "CREATE HISTORY" Devils sweatshirt :D :koolaid:

Prospects on hand are Dahlin, Tkachuk, Dobson, Svechnikov, Zadina, and Bouchard

DgOeyZKXcAALLvX.jpg

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 2

On 2018-06-19 at 3:00 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

3 NHL.com writers did a mock draft & here's who they had us picking FWIW:  https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-mock-draft-final-rasmus-dahlin-no-1/c-299112416?tid=277764372

17. New Jersey Devils

Kimelman -- Wilde: He checks all the boxes teams look for in defensemen: size, scoring touch (41 points in 61 games) and skating ability. The Devils need young defensemen, and with patience Wilde should evolve into a top-end player.

Morreale -- Rasmus Sandin, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): The 5-11, 186-pound left-shot defenseman has tremendous poise and hockey sense, and never puts teammates in a bad position with the puck. Sandin led OHL rookies with a plus-35 rating, and led rookie defensemen with 45 points (12 goals, 33 assists) in 51 games.

Lepage -- Denisenko: The forward did very well in his second season in Russia's junior league. He is blessed with individual skills and knows how to turn on the jets when a lane opens. He plays very aggressively and knows how to use his body. 

just saw some mock draft having Wilde going 27th. So damn hard to evaluate those guys

"Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP: Truly a “Wilde” card in this draft, he is skilled enough to go in Round 1, but the most recent viewings at the U-18s raised some red flags."

This is even more awesome than something that would be really awesome. I love this kid... (I dunno how much of it is a public stunt but i rather don't wanna be cynical for once and just enjoy it) 

This is rrrrreally awesome ! 

47 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

A letter to tonight’s pick from Nico: 48af608ff62f7f0ce7e62be5e898e2d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I love this kid. 

Nothing to be embarrassed about with the I love to hockey comment though Nico, it was fvcking great!

• Like 8

With all of Chirelli, Dorion and Bergevin all needing to be active, tonight should be pretty interesting.   I will be glued to the TV.  

I didn't watch as much CHL as in past years so I don't know a whole lot about any of these guys but right now I'm hoping Ty Smith somehow falls to us. 

• Like 1