2018 NHL Draft Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Vancouver took Madden’s kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like father, like son: good on the PK!

The later picks seem to be defense first, a couple with some size.  Bernard should provide some real muscle in time.  And he does possess some offensive upside.

Edited by aclc79

2 minutes ago, aclc79 said:

DET, NYI  and Swedish and American players (kudos to these countries' development programs!) seem to have come out the big winners this year.  2 veteran GM's, Holland and Lou, show how it's done.

I'd say the Swedes have been winning for years now. 

• Like 2

FWIW: 

#NJDevils Paul Castron says they believe Yegor Sharangovich doesn’t have a contract with the KHL and wants to come to North America but they want to speak more with the player/his agent on it. Can be some misinformation on contracts for young players sometimes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

1-17 LD Ty Smith
4-110 LD Xavier Bernard
5-136 G Akira Schmid
5-141 C Yegor Sharangovich
6-172 C Mitchell Hoelscher
7-203 LW Eetu Pakkila

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t that like our third Yegor?

1 hour ago, aclc79 said:

DET, NYI  and Swedish and American players (kudos to these countries' development programs!) seem to have come out the big winners this year.  2 veteran GM's, Holland and Lou, show how it's done.

Lou’s not a GM. 

1 hour ago, SS-SS said:

I'd say the Swedes have been winning for years now. 

Except in NJ...

Lou is the GM of the Islanders although he did say he would not have much of a hand in the draft.

Interesting that Sharangovich might come over next season; I thought his selection a little odd because of his age and what the Devils already have in the organization.  

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Lou’s not a GM. 

38 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Lou is the GM of the Islanders although he did say he would not have much of a hand in the draft.

Yup. Hired as president of hockey ops, promptly appointed himself GM. 

• Haha 1

Detroit rebuilt their team in this draft. They took two major fallers in Zadina and Veleno, and were still able to add another first round talent in Berggren, followed by McIsaac. 7 picks in the first 3 rounds for them, 8 in the top 100. Islanders did quite well also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aclc79 said:

Lou and Conte weren't exactly knockin' 'em dead here the last 10-15 years. In fact, it's funny that only after he leaves the Devils he starts learning how to draft impactful players again  instead of taking on the Barry Tallackson's and Nicklas Bergfors' of the world.

Edited by slasher72
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slasher72 said:

Lou and Conte weren't exactly knockin' 'em dead here the last 10-15 years. In fact, it's funny that only after he leaves the Devils he starts learning how to draft impactful players again  instead of taking on the Barry Tallackson's and Nicklas Bergfors' of the world.

hey! bergfors got us kovy.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:47 PM, Neb00rs said:

Just a reminder: fvck teams that are perpetually bad and eventually suck for so long they finally trip into a can't miss generational talent.

Just so long as you remember that once upon a time that was our franchise..... just pointing out that the Scouts/Rockies/Devils weren’t really considered a winning franchise until the mid-90s.  Until then we were just a bunch of perennial losers that were perpetually bad with a few odd good seasons mixed in.  

On 6/22/2018 at 8:31 PM, Neb00rs said:

He looks like a 12 year-old nerd who's obsessed with cell biology. I have a sudden urge to knock his books out of his hands and shove him in a locker.

He's a future dynamic NHL defenseman. 

Yea, but how many biology nerds have an enforcer waiting around to help them?  Come to think of it, I just realized what all those unemployed NHL enforcers can do now.  

Ian Pulz Retweeted

#NJDevils Xavier Bernard played on a team with multiple 2018 1st-round picks, including a defenseman (Nicolas Beaudin). Scouting director Paul Castron said NJ scouts saw them play several times, and Bernard looked like the better prospect at times.

Ian Pulz Retweeted

What an amazing feeling being a part of the @NJDevils organization. Couldn’t be more excited. Thanks to everyone who helped me to get to this point! #NJDevils

• Like 3

15 hours ago, slasher72 said:

To be fair, we won't know if his picks this draft are impactful for a few years. Bergfors and Tallackson had potential when they got picked too.