2018 NHL Draft Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

On 6/22/2018 at 10:00 AM, Lateralous said:

With all of Chirelli, Dorion and Bergevin all needing to be active, tonight should be pretty interesting.   I will be glued to the TV.  

I didn't watch as much CHL as in past years so I don't know a whole lot about any of these guys but right now I'm hoping Ty Smith somehow falls to us. 

I haven’t had a chance to post since Friday but needless to say, I think that’s the most excited I’ve been about a first round pick since Parise fell to us.   Maybe Larsson too but the build up was pretty short and we didn’t need as many things to fall into place on that one.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I haven’t had a chance to post since Friday but needless to say, I think that’s the most excited I’ve been about a first round pick since Parise fell to us.   Maybe Larsson too.  

More so than last year??!

7 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I haven’t had a chance to post since Friday but needless to say, I think that’s the most excited I’ve been about a first round pick since Parise fell to us.   Maybe Larsson too but the build up was pretty short and we didn’t need as many things to fall into place on that one.   

There’s this kid named Nico, you should check him out... :P

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

More so than last year??!

To clarify, I don’t mean excited about how good they will become, excited that we got exactly what we needed out of a draft relative to our draft position.   Last year we knew for two months we had that top spot and I trusted Shero to make the right pick so it was more just intrigue.   I guess winning the actual draft lottery was up there.   

Am I a bad person because this made me LOL? :lol:

“I’m telling my agent if they will pass on me, I will fill their net with the puck,” Zadina said. “Yeah, it’s just I want to prove [to] them that they have done, like, bad decision. But I’m so glad that I am in Detroit right now, so I just want to prove to Detroit that they have got a pretty good decision.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Am I a bad person because this made me LOL? :lol:

“I’m telling my agent if they will pass on me, I will fill their net with the puck,” Zadina said. “Yeah, it’s just I want to prove [to] them that they have done, like, bad decision. But I’m so glad that I am in Detroit right now, so I just want to prove to Detroit that they have got a pretty good decision.”

It makes I Love To Hockey sounds like a Shakespearean sonnet. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Thought this was some good intel on Mitchell Hoelscher (taken 172 overall) from Brock Otten, written in May:  https://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2018/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2018_23.html

Mitchell Hoelscher - Forward - Ottawa 67's
First 37 games of the season: 2 goals and 6 assists. Final 30 games: 8 goals and 12 assists. That's a pretty significant jump in production and helps to explain why Hoelscher was one of the greater risers among OHL'ers in this year's draft rankings. But even when he wasn't hitting the score sheet at the start of the year, he was still a noticeable player (check out my description of him in my midseason rankings). Brought energy in all three zones, tenaciousness on the penalty kill, and a real effectiveness on the backcheck and in the defensive end. As he was given more responsibility as the 2nd line center later in the year, we really started to see him come out of his shell. Confidence with the puck improved ten fold and we started to see the type of offensive potential that he possesses. Not only is his hockey sense excellent, but he has good hands too. We also saw him play with a lot more intensity; dare I say almost pest like. This kid has everything and is such a well rounded player. He's just so slight right now. Strength is an issue. But that's going to improve and as it does, just how much better can this guy get? Ottawa is going to be crazy good (likely) over the next two seasons and Hoelscher will be a critical component. Watching him later in the season, sometimes Hoelscher reminded me of the way Morgan Frost looked last year. The only difference is that Frost had a little more experienced talent to play with on a much better team. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2018 at 4:54 PM, Nicomo said:

Looks like young Chris Chelios. 

And he brings real size to the back line.  The buzz is that he needs to work a bit more on the offensive side.  But the instincts are there, especially on the defensive side.  A little muscle in front of our net will make everyone's life easier.

ETA: Devils 7th Rd - Eetu Pakkila (No. 203) - LW, had 23 gls, 40 pts, 6 PIMs, in 48 games for Karpat Jr in Finland's second div. Is 6-0, 167 --- Long shot to play in the NHL, but why not?! Graded out well in compete and play in own end (which probably caught eye of Devils' scouts)

ETA: Devils 6th Rd - Mitchell Hoelscher (No. 172) - LHC - 5-11, 166 Is a pain in the [neck] to play against; a playmaker, tenacious on the puck, & smart, but will need to get stronger and learn def gm. Named Ottawa 67's Rookie of the Year. Plays w/ a Mitch Marner-type mentality

Devils 5th Rd - Akira Schmid, G, 6-4, 165, of Switzerland. Athletic butterfly. Calm under pressure. Compares style to Pekka Rinne/Sergei Bobrovski. Needs to work on depth control. Goran Stubb of @NHLCentralScout really likes his compete and consistency b/w the pipes.

Devils 5th Rd - Yegor Sharangovich (No. 141), born in Belarus, LHC, 6-2, 196 Decent 2-way game, good on face-offs, powerful shot and accurate; Needs to improve defensively & in playing more aggressively. Comparable might be Tomas Plekanec.

Devils ... 4th Rd: Xavier Bernard, D, (No. 110) Is 6-3, 202. Some compare his style to a Dion Phaneuf. He's good at defending. Troy Dumville of @NHLCentralScout: "He thinks the game well, is a good defender, and can find the open man when he has the puck."

Devils draft .... Ty Smith (No. 17): Great at transitioning out of the D-zone. John Williams of @NHLCentralScout: "Can pick you apart, find the open guy, and beat the forecheck." Bottom line- He generates offense.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 2

Good article with a little more info (and quotes from Castron) on the kids we just drafted: https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-2018-nhl-draftee-scouting-report/c-299280774

ETA: last sentence which is the first hint about Dev Camp: All six players are expected to be in Newark for development camp in two weeks. The complete roster and details of the annual event will be announced soon. 

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1

Devils Insiders Retweeted

#NJDevils 2018 pick Akira Schmid could be selected in the CHL Import Draft, which starts at 11 am ET. Have confirmed that a) he has interest in playing in the CHL next season + B) Schmid and fellow Swiss goalie prospect/Devils draft pick Giles Senn will be at development camp.

With the 20th overall selection in the 2018 #CHLImportDraft, the #WHLCanes select goaltender Akira Schmid. He is a @NJDevils draft pick! #CaneTrain #YQL

• Like 1