Sign in to follow this  
Jas0nMacIsaac

2018 NHL Draft Thread

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I imagine there are teams who are picking ahead of us who passed on Charlie McAvoy because of his size (he's 6' now) who won't make the same mistake again.

I don't think the Devils will trade up in the first round because they would have to part with a roster player or NHL ready prospect to do it (unless it's to move up between two or three spots, in which case you could probably give up someone like Speers or Quenneville to do it).  That's not something that playoff teams tend to do. 

I think Q's value is next to nil right now.  Feels like he's going to be making his way into non-prospect/pretty good AHLer territory very quickly if he doesn't start showing something more soon (it also wouldn't hurt if he showed up in decent shape come preseason). 

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think Q's value is next to nil right now.  Feels like he's going to be making his way into non-prospect/pretty good AHLer territory very quickly if he doesn't start showing something more soon (it also wouldn't hurt if he showed up in decent shape come preseason). 

He put up good AHL numbers as a 20-21 year old former first round pick who I believe is waiver exempt for another year.  I imagine there are some teams out there who believe he could fill a bottom six role at worst, and might have more upside than that.  If Beau Bennett as an older reclamation project could get a third, Quenneville on his own might get you a second from a team that has a lot of picks, or might help the Devils move up a couple of spots in the first. 

11 hours ago, Daniel said:

He put up good AHL numbers as a 20-21 year old former first round pick who I believe is waiver exempt for another year.  I imagine there are some teams out there who believe he could fill a bottom six role at worst, and might have more upside than that.  If Beau Bennett as an older reclamation project could get a third, Quenneville on his own might get you a second from a team that has a lot of picks, or might help the Devils move up a couple of spots in the first. 

I really don't think the Bennett trade happens unless it's the guy who drafted him that trades for him. So I guess let's hope Lou gets a new gig soon! Or maybe Conte in Vegas...

6 hours ago, Marshall said:

I really don't think the Bennett trade happens unless it's the guy who drafted him that trades for him. So I guess let's hope Lou gets a new gig soon! Or maybe Conte in Vegas...

Or Mirco Mueller bringing back a second if that helps.  And apparently there was at least another team trying to trade for him.

I don't think Quenneville gets a 2nd round pick back, though I would take it for him.  I certainly don't think he helps you move up in the draft - trades like that almost never happen.  A 3rd, maybe, and that I don't think I would take.  He has fine AHL numbers but I don't see what he is at the NHL level, there's just not a lot about his game that stands out.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I don't think Quenneville gets a 2nd round pick back, though I would take it for him.  I certainly don't think he helps you move up in the draft - trades like that almost never happen.  A 3rd, maybe, and that I don't think I would take.  He has fine AHL numbers but I don't see what he is at the NHL level, there's just not a lot about his game that stands out.

By move up in the first, I mean two spots at the most.  The fact that Ryan Reaves helped the Blues move up more spots, means its conceivable that Quenneville can do the same if the right team likes him.

I would take a third for him if there's some player sitting there that's fallen and who the Devils really want.  There's a certain player who has been great for Tampa who was in such a situation, who should be playing for us, but a certain imbecile who worked for us thought that the future of the league was big slow guys that don't score that much.

Edited by Daniel

Does Binghamton record shots as a Stat?   How many shots did quenninville Have? S%?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Does Binghamton record shots as a Stat?   How many shots did quenninville Have? S%?

Quenneville averaged 2.74 Shots per game (118 total over 43 games) and shot 11.9% for 14 goals. For comparison, here's the shot rates of other top prospects in the AHL this season:

Daniel Sprong (PIT): 3.7 Shots per game (214 over 65 games), 14.9%, 32 Goals
Andreas Johnsson (TOR): 2.4 Shots per game (132 over 54 games), 19.6%, 26 Goals
Valentin Zykov (CAR): 1.8 Shots per game (112 over 63), 29.5% (wtf), 33 Goals
Dylan Strome (ARZ): 2.9 Shots per game (144 over 50), 15.3%, 22 Goals

So, Quenneville shot rate was pretty consistent with some of the other top prospects in the A, just cherry picked a few names I recognize with NHL potential but there's likely some career AHLers with better numbers as well. He shoots at a rate consistent with guys like Johnsson and Strome but didn't produce at the elite level like Sprong did. Quenneville was the unluckiest with his shooting percentage in this group. Zykov is an extreme outlier with those goal totals with a very low shot rate and an unbelievably unsustainable scoring rate.

EDIT: Just want to point out as well that Q is a year younger than Zykov and Johnsson, and a year older than both Sprong and Strome.

Edited by CommonDreads