2018 NHL Draft Thread

Jas0nMacIsaac

After reading that scouting report....how did this kid fall to the 4th round? Top 4 potential, likely best point shot of the draft, solid defensively. I can only assume he had a ways to go in terms of developing.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Not a great draft for the Devils, given that we failed to get in on the 2nd or 3rd round and the depth of talent available. BUT, in the long term Shero might have done the right thing by not selling assets to get an unknown quantity. Restraint is important.

I wish he had operated under that mantra when he pissed away what he did for Grabner.

The isles cleaned up with their first three picks, Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Bode Wilde. Wilde was projected first round, fell to them at 41 because of reported  character issues. He's a God damn teenager and was ranked as high as #12. They tripped into Barzal when he fell, too.

1 minute ago, thecoffeecake said:

I wish he had operated under that mantra when he pissed away what he did for Grabner.

The isles cleaned up with their first three picks, Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Bode Wilde. Wilde was projected first round, fell to them at 41 because of reported  character issues. He's a God damn teenager and was ranked as high as #12. They tripped into Barzal when he fell, too.

Eh, Shero exercised restraint at the deadline as well. He needed to make a move to improve the team in some way, being that we were looking like we had a shot at the playoffs and Grabner seemed like a good fit at a relatively low cost.

9 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Eh, Shero exercised restraint at the deadline as well. He needed to make a move to improve the team in some way, being that we were looking like we had a shot at the playoffs and Grabner seemed like a good fit at a relatively low cost.

Probably the first questionable moves he made were to push the team into the playoffs this year. Would've liked to keep the picks he gave up for Grabner and Maroon. I feel like all the sudden we were looking at the pile of picks he's given up and said uh oh.

1 minute ago, thecoffeecake said:

Probably the first questionable moves he made were to push the team into the playoffs this year. Would've liked to keep the picks he gave up for Grabner and Maroon. I feel like all the sudden we were looking at the pile of picks he's given up and said uh oh.

The team needed that playoff push and a taste of playoff hockey. Hall needed that, Nico needed that. Schneider needed that chance to show up under pressure. Shero should have no regrets on that

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The team needed that playoff push and a taste of playoff hockey. Hall needed that, Nico needed that. Schneider needed that chance to show up under pressure. Shero should have no regrets on that

Well I wish I believed Grabner and Maroon pushed them in, I'd be more OK with the moves.

4 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Well I wish I believed Grabner and Maroon pushed them in, I'd be more OK with the moves.

Maroon definitely helped. Grabner did nothing. Its a bummer but on paper he fit the team perfectly. Unfortunately it just didn't materialize

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

To be fair who the hell expected Grabner to be that bad? I really thought, like most he would be a solid addition and someone we could keep around for a bit. Little did we know how wrong that would be lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

We would not have made the playoffs without Maroon and he might still re-sign.  Grabner OTOH...but he was supposed to be the lynchpin of the deadline dealing.  Shero couldn't have guessed the guy would skate like he didn't want to be here and bomb.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

We would not have made the playoffs without Maroon and he might still re-sign.  Grabner OTOH...but he was supposed to be the lynchpin of the deadline dealing.  Shero couldn't have guessed the guy would skate like he didn't want to be here and bomb.

I think that's a bit dramatic regarding Maroon, but I will agree with you guys that no one saw Grabner being that bad.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Vancouver took Madden’s kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like father, like son: good on the PK!

The later picks seem to be defense first, a couple with some size.  Bernard should provide some real muscle in time.  And he does possess some offensive upside.

Edited by aclc79