Jump to content

2018 NHL Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

My usual disclaimer is that I know nothing about evaluating prospects, but there strikes me as something of a cargo cult behind Boqvist.  He’s a fast Swedish defenseman who hasn’t really produced in his draft year, just like Erik Karlsson!

It seems like that archetype is the new elusive “next Milan Lucic” that everyone was looking for about five years ago.

Yes, there's definitely a hype about defensemen who happen to have swedish passports. They're very similar in that they crushed their J20 leagues, had really good U18 tournaments and didn't get much of a chance in the SHL. But I doubt Boqvist will get (nor earn) 675 mins in the SHL in d+1 like Karlsson did. But if he's available at 17...I'd take him for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LA must have typed 3 by mistake.

If you're so inclined, I just released my Draft Book for this year, 44 pages of content including scouting reports for the Top 100 Prospects  https://ridingpinehockey.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/r

The Yotes took Liam Kirk at 189, British born , British trained. Brings a tear to the eye. 

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Boqvist has fallen all the way down to 12 in Button's latest rankings,  if he's there after 10 you'd have to assume Shero would do what it took to move up. Would you offer next years' 2nd round pick in addition to #17 to jump up to the Islanders pick at #11 or #12 to grab Jesper's brother? Seems like he was a consensus top-5 pick not too long ago, wonder why he's fallen? 

That's something I'd do in a heartbeat, he didn't have the greatest season but he has all of the tools to be a dominant offensive defenseman IMO. I have him ranked 5th personally, he plays kind of like a rover at times with his hands and skating ability which makes his offensive ceiling really attractive.

EDIT: Also, I consistently find Button to have the worst rankings every season. They're his honest opinion, but my favorite guy for draft coverage is Corey Pronman if you have an Athletic sub.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Julie R is doing a 3 part story on the Devils 2018 Draft.  This part is mainly about the stats they gather on the kids and how/why it's compiled:  https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/devils-leaving-no-stone-unturned-ahead-of-2018-nhl-draft/c-298952932

Snippet:   The challenge is to sift through all the information that's out there and find what's valuable to management so they can determine which players will fit into the culture and identity of being a New Jersey Devil. 

"Since Ray took over in New Jersey, the entire management and scouting staff along with our coaches have really done a good job of mapping out the DNA of a Devils player and the qualities and characteristics we want every player to have both on and off the ice and, with every player we evaluate, we hold that lens over them to see how well they fit into our criteria," MacKinnon explained. "It's no secret that we value speed and compete and skating and skill and we drill deeper in each of those boxes to see how well they fill out that box, but if you're going to play for Ray Shero and John Hynes with the New Jersey Devils you have to be able to skate and have the mindset that you're going to win the 50/50 puck battles and then have the hockey sense to turn a play and read what's going on around you and adjust and then have the skill to do something with that. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Daniel said:

All you Brits stick together

Gotta get the sport recognised in the country. More success = more investment ( in theory). Plus we replace cricket as the countrys third most popular sport!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Gotta get the sport recognised in the country. More success = more investment ( in theory). Plus we replace cricket as the countrys third most popular sport!!!!!!!

What’s the second?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Gotta get the sport recognised in the country. More success = more investment ( in theory). Plus we replace cricket as the countrys third most popular sport!!!!!!!

I actually live in a town with a hockey team but they seem to spend most of their time trying to not go bankrupt and their profile has really dwindled over the years. If the NHL made a few visits to the UK I think it could make a big difference to interest (and investment) over here. It'll be interesting to see if baseball grips the public imagination once the Red Sox and Yankees have played here next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Royal wedding watching. 

No wait, that was us lol. 

It's fvcking hilarious how other countries seem so fascinated by it and over here most people couldn't really care either way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I actually live in a town with a hockey team but they seem to spend most of their time trying to not go bankrupt and their profile has really dwindled over the years. If the NHL made a few visits to the UK I think it could make a big difference to interest (and investment) over here. It'll be interesting to see if baseball grips the public imagination once the Red Sox and Yankees have played here next year.

I have always been disappointed that a team hasn't been back to the UK. I went to the King's Vs Ducks game and it sold out straight away. 

Who's your local team? Constantly going bankrupt makes me think it's Bracknell lol , but it could actually be any of them outside the Elite league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I have always been disappointed that a team hasn't been back to the UK. I went to the King's Vs Ducks game and it sold out straight away. 

Who's your local team? Constantly going bankrupt makes me think it's Bracknell lol , but it could actually be any of them outside the Elite league. 

You're dead right!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

You're dead right!

Haha, yeah I used to play for the Blizzards and lived in Reading. 

The new leauge structure makes it even harder to follow anything outside the Elite League. The league structure in the UK had always been it's downfall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I have always been disappointed that a team hasn't been back to the UK. I went to the King's Vs Ducks game and it sold out straight away. 

Who's your local team? Constantly going bankrupt makes me think it's Bracknell lol , but it could actually be any of them outside the Elite league. 

I have a couple folks (friends0 on FB that live in Cardiff . Big C-Devils fans. I know Cam Janssens played for Nottingham one year. But they won it all this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

It's fvcking hilarious how other countries seem so fascinated by it and over here most people couldn't really care either way. 

You know what we do to Royal people here in France right ? ; ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the draft is in 11 days and normally I don't really follow many of the prospects, but with us having a pretty mediocre pick, and also no second and third round picks (right?), I've paid even less attention than normal.   Can someone provide some cliff notes of some potential signings (their strengths and weaknesses), that we might take at 17?  Obviously we need some defenseman, but is there anyone really worth taking at that spot?

Is this a year where we should just trade down and try to acquire a couple picks and hope we get lucky?  I feel like we could use the organizational depth right now and would be better off taking a shot in the dark with a few random players in later rounds rather than take a shot with someone at 17 who isn't considered a must-have world beater.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, caron14 said:

Kravkov is being train by Bob Hartley right now and he just said his talent is elite. Do we have a shot at him or will he be gone?

Kravstov? I think it's borderline, but more likely he'll be gone

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

So the draft is in 11 days and normally I don't really follow many of the prospects, but with us having a pretty mediocre pick, and also no second and third round picks (right?), I've paid even less attention than normal.   Can someone provide some cliff notes of some potential signings (their strengths and weaknesses), that we might take at 17?  Obviously we need some defenseman, but is there anyone really worth taking at that spot?

Is this a year where we should just trade down and try to acquire a couple picks and hope we get lucky?  I feel like we could use the organizational depth right now and would be better off taking a shot in the dark with a few random players in later rounds rather than take a shot with someone at 17 who isn't considered a must-have world beater.

Devs have taken a fw 1st in last 3 drafts. Never know who might drop to you, but some folks think it'll D men Bodie Wilde, Ty Smith, Jason Issacson. There are some potential FW's Hayton, Kupari could still be around. After Dahlin, only 6-7 are very good, after that crap shoot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Devs have taken a fw 1st in last 3 drafts. Never know who might drop to you, but some folks think it'll D men Bodie Wilde, Ty Smith, Jason Issacson. There are some potential FW's Hayton, Kupari could still be around. After Dahlin, only 6-7 are very good, after that crap shoot.

Yeah, I definitely think a d-man is in order.  If there's nothing that sticks out by the time we draft at 17, I think we should just trade down and try to acquire a few more decent picks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last installment of the JR 3-part draft story:  https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/scouts-honor-devils-staff-readies-for-nhl-draft-in-dallas/c-299056492

After the interviews at the combine, Castron and Orlando have almost daily conversations as they spend the final few weeks before the draft tweeking the list. 

"There comes a point where not everyone has seen everyone play and that's where Gates and I really have to mesh the lists," he explained. "Sometimes Ray or Dan or [Tom Fitzgerald, Devils assistant general manager] only see a guy once and maybe he has a terrible game. They're not going to veto the opinion of a scout that's seen him play multiple times over the course of a season. All they can say is, 'I don't see what you guys see in him.' So, we have to make the decisions for the group. We'll go back to the area scouts and get their opinions, but in the end the decision comes down to Gates and I. We make the list."

Devils general manager Ray Shero concurs: "I'm involved in the discussion, but the decision isn't mine to make when I've never seen them play or have only seen them once. Each of these scouts are here because they're very good at their job and I've got to rely on them and trust their opinion."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.