Sign in to follow this  
Jas0nMacIsaac

2018 NHL Draft Thread

In my opinion, pick 17 is right about where there's a drop off in talent, at least as far as defensemen go. Bode Wilde will likely be picked right in the middle of round 1, which would leave us with K'Andre Miller, Rasmus Sandin, and (maybe) Jonny Tychonick as the next best defensemen. If Shero is set on taking a dman at 17, then I suspect he'll trade down, hoping to select one of those three later in the first. But if he's going BPA, which I think we all suspect he'll do, there are quite a few good forwards who will be available in the mid-first round. If Kravtsov or Bokk makes it to 17, you definitely need to take one of them. These two are late risers with superstar potential. Rasmus Kupari is another player that, although raw, is super talented with very high upside - probably what you would consider your classic "risky" pick. Another player to potentially be excited about is Martin Kaut, a Czech RW that is a mature, complete player that fits Shero's mold. He played against men in the Czech league this season, and finished the season with a strong playoffs performance, with 5 points in 7 games (only one player on the team was better with 6 points in 7 games). This is another guy that I think could be a steal. Interestingly, he was on the Czech team for the World Championships, and Zadina was not.

To summarize, I think the Devils are in a fine spot.  In my opinion, it makes most sense to shoot for the stars and go for one of the high potential forwards. I understand that the organization needs more defense, but none of the guys likely to be available at 17 are even 2 years from being NHL ready. We've seen how much organizational needs can change, so it does not make much sense to skip on a really good forward for the sake of filling a need. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nessus said:

In my opinion, pick 17 is right about where there's a drop off in talent, at least as far as defensemen go. Bode Wilde will likely be picked right in the middle of round 1, which would leave us with K'Andre Miller, Rasmus Sandin, and (maybe) Jonny Tychonick as the next best defensemen. If Shero is set on taking a dman at 17, then I suspect he'll trade down, hoping to select one of those three later in the first. But if he's going BPA, which I think we all suspect he'll do, there are quite a few good forwards who will be available in the mid-first round. If Kravtsov or Bokk makes it to 17, you definitely need to take one of them. These two are late risers with superstar potential. Rasmus Kupari is another player that, although raw, is super talented with very high upside - probably what you would consider your classic "risky" pick. Another player to potentially be excited about is Martin Kaut, a Czech RW that is a mature, complete player that fits Shero's mold. He played against men in the Czech league this season, and finished the season with a strong playoffs performance, with 5 points in 7 games (only one player on the team was better with 6 points in 7 games). This is another guy that I think could be a steal. Interestingly, he was on the Czech team for the World Championships, and Zadina was not.

To summarize, I think the Devils are in a fine spot.  In my opinion, it makes most sense to shoot for the stars and go for one of the high potential forwards. I understand that the organization needs more defense, but none of the guys likely to be available at 17 are even 2 years from being NHL ready. We've seen how much organizational needs can change, so it does not make much sense to skip on a really good forward for the sake of filling a need. 

Of the guys that will realistically be there, Dom Bokk is definitely who I want the most. Kid has the talent to boom into a star, he reminds me a ton of David Pastrnak. If Bode Wilde is there at 17 I'd take a long look at him too, I've grown to like him more and more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

I think Bokk is a reach at 17. Wilde/Miller for me.

I agree we could probably move back to around 25 or so and still get him, but I wouldn't blink an eye if we decided on him at 17th, I really like him.

Also for the record, I'm pretty in favor of trading down from 17th depending on who is there, if someone like Ty Smith falls I would keep the pick but I like the idea of sliding back a few picks and taking someone like Bokk or Sandin and picking up a draft pick or two along the way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marshall said:

I think Bokk is a reach at 17. Wilde/Miller for me.

I doubt Wilde will be there at 17, but one can hope! Don't know much about Bokk, but "In Ray we trust"

Man, the Habs have 4 -2nd round picks. What could we give them to pry one of them away?  We have 2 - 5th rounders.  Prospect and and 5th?

(maybe not enough for 2nd rounder)

18 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

If you're so inclined, I just released my Draft Book for this year, 44 pages of content including scouting reports for the Top 100 Prospects :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/rp_2018draftbook2.pdf

Loved this, I'll look stuff up from time to time. You have a few folks higher than most, some lower. Ty Smith/Merkley? 10/11  Farabee at 19? 

Does anyone know 100% if we have a 7th round pick?  ETA: Nevermind - we do have our 7th round pick, per this nhl.com list: 

https://www.nhl.com/news/complete-order-of-2018-nhl-draft-announced/c-299078722?tid=277764372

Most sites have it going to Philly but a few (CapFriendly & nj.com) still have us picking at 203 - not a big deal but I'm curious (below from Chris Ryan since the Draft is only a week away!): 

First round (17th overall)
Fourth round (110th)
Fifth round via Calgary (136th)
Fifth round (141st)
Sixth round (172nd)
Seventh round (203rd)

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Loved this, I'll look stuff up from time to time. You have a few folks higher than most, some lower. Ty Smith/Merkley? 10/11  Farabee at 19? 

Thanks man really appreciate it :cheers: The upside of Smith and Merkley with their skating and offensive awareness is really exciting to me, if they boom they're really going to blossom into stars. At the same time, I like Farabee and he has some offensive qualities that are quite Parise-like but in general he doesn't have the offensive tools that excite me like some of the guys I have ahead of him (namely Denisenko, Kupari, Bokk, Kravtsov), which is why I have him slid just a little further back to 19th even though I see him most likely being gone before 15 or 16.

Edited by CommonDreads

Bob McKenzie's final rankings for TSN just came out, always find these the most insightful because they're compiled by polling scouts from NHL teams

https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400

1. Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frölunda
2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie
3. Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston University
4. Filip Zadina, RW, Halifax
5. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C, Ässät
6. Noah Dobson, D, Acadie-Bathurst
7. Evan Bouchard, D, London
8. Quinn Hughes, D, University of Michigan
9. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, USA U-18
10. Adam Boqvist, D, Brynäs J20

If the Rangers get Oliver Wahlstrom, I will be very sad.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

3. Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston University

Those of us who are old are reminded of such whenever the son of a guy we watched get drafted gets drafted.

Add to that, when guys that were born in the year 2000 are getting drafted...

Edited by mfitz804
  • Sad 1

Everything after the top-2 seems to be debated.  Could make for an interesting draft day.

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Bob McKenzie's final rankings for TSN just came out, always find these the most insightful because they're compiled by polling scouts from NHL teams

https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400

If the Rangers get Oliver Wahlstrom, I will be very sad.

Not a great year for them to have a top 10 pick (and 2 more first round picks, for that matter). I could deal with them getting Bouchard, but NYR drafting Hughes is a scary thought. 

It's cool that Kravtsov could potentially be within reach, and that Veleno is getting closer to 17 in these rankings. If we could pick up a second rounder and take Tychonick, that would be a pretty nice situation.

On another note, it's nice to know I'm not totally crazy for being so high on Kaut and Bokk. 

If you're interested, I took a deeper dive into comparing Denisenko and Kravtsov, the top two players coming out of the KHL-VHL-MHL system this year. Includes some plays of theirs I've clipped as well, if you want to check it out :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2018/06/18/2018-draft-denisenko-vs-kravtsov/

Also planning on doing an article like this on Wilde vs Miller and Dobson vs Bouchard before Friday, so if you're interested in that I'll post those as well.

• Like 2

If you're interested, I took a deeper dive into comparing Denisenko and Kravtsov, the top two players coming out of the KHL-VHL-MHL system this year. Includes some plays of theirs I've clipped as well, if you want to check it out :cheers:

Also planning on doing an article like this on Wilde vs Miller and Dobson vs Bouchard before Friday, so if you're interested in that I'll post those as well.

Absolutely, your content is really informative.

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can he play in the AHL or does Saginaw control that?

Just read your article, liked both of them too lol. With both projecting around the Devils it will be interesting if Shero goes forward or d.

Can he play in the AHL or does Saginaw control that?

I’m guessing the rules would be the same in that he wouldn’t be able to play in the AHL until I think it’s his 20th birthday? I think that’s the age, but I’m not 100% sure....

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m guessing the rules would be the same in that he wouldn’t be able to play in the AHL until I think it’s his 20th birthday? I think that’s the age, but I’m not 100% sure....

He was drafted by an OHL team, but he never signed with them, so who knows.

And I know it’s HF, but a lot of people commenting there that his play in his own end doesn’t just “need work” but apparently is atrocious.

He was drafted by an OHL team, but he never signed with them, so who knows.
And I know it’s HF, but a lot of people commenting there that his play in his own end doesn’t just “need work” but apparently is atrocious.

I think he also didn’t receive an invite to WJC camp. His stock seems to be slipping a bit.