Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jas0nMacIsaac

2018 NHL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Wilde is eligible to play in the AHL next season.

Because he won't be drafted out of the OHL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Because he won't be drafted out of the OHL?

His OHL rights belong to Saginaw, but he hasn’t signed with them.  It sounds kind of like when a KHL team drafted McDavid.  Can’t imagine there’s anything in the CHL/NHL agreement that says players in Wilde’s position cant play in the AHL but maybe I’m missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of guys are drafted by the OHL but not all are drafted out of the OHL. So yes, as Tri says, he'll be able to go to the AHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 NHL.com writers did a mock draft & here's who they had us picking FWIW:  https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-mock-draft-final-rasmus-dahlin-no-1/c-299112416?tid=277764372

17. New Jersey Devils

Kimelman -- Wilde: He checks all the boxes teams look for in defensemen: size, scoring touch (41 points in 61 games) and skating ability. The Devils need young defensemen, and with patience Wilde should evolve into a top-end player.

Morreale -- Rasmus Sandin, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): The 5-11, 186-pound left-shot defenseman has tremendous poise and hockey sense, and never puts teammates in a bad position with the puck. Sandin led OHL rookies with a plus-35 rating, and led rookie defensemen with 45 points (12 goals, 33 assists) in 51 games.

Lepage -- Denisenko: The forward did very well in his second season in Russia's junior league. He is blessed with individual skills and knows how to turn on the jets when a lane opens. He plays very aggressively and knows how to use his body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, Steve Kournianos ( @TheDraftAnalyst ) sent this video of Rasmus Sandin along with this tweet:  My gut tells me some teams may think Sandin is a top-10 talent. Think long term with him. In seven years he could be one of the better defensemen in the NHL.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Another article comparing Bode Wilde and K'Andre Miller if you'd like to check that out, I've seen a lot of mocks lately of us taking one of these guys so this in particular might be relevant to the Devils :cheers:

https://ridingpinehockey.com/2018/06/19/2018-draft-wilde-vs-miller/

If wilde is anywhere near what this person writes, he's not available at 17... so scratch him off the list, :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

If wilde is anywhere near what this person writes, he's not available at 17... so scratch him off the list, :)

My gut feeling tells me Florida at 15th takes him, haven't really seen that anywhere just my gut. It's possible he falls a bit though because like I write, he is still pretty raw, I think he could boom into a real star though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you guys trade the 17th pick for Ryan O'Reilly?

He could be a nice complement on this roster.

I think O'Reilly could be a nice piece to a championship puzzle..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, njbuff said:

Would you guys trade the 17th pick for Ryan O'Reilly?

He could be a nice complement on this roster.

I think O'Reilly could be a nice piece to a championship puzzle..

Not for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, njbuff said:

Would you guys trade the 17th pick for Ryan O'Reilly?

He could be a nice complement on this roster.

I think O'Reilly could be a nice piece to a championship puzzle..

 

7CF8C980-5CF0-4752-BD31-0F842EDBAA32.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, njbuff said:

Would you guys trade the 17th pick for Ryan O'Reilly?

He could be a nice complement on this roster.

I think O'Reilly could be a nice piece to a championship puzzle..

Buffalo would want a player for him.  Probably Hanifin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, njbuff said:

Would you guys trade the 17th pick for Ryan O'Reilly?

He could be a nice complement on this roster.

I think O'Reilly could be a nice piece to a championship puzzle..

I totally would, because:

- He'd slot right in at 2C, pushing Zajac (permanently) to 3C.  I personally have zero faith in Zacha developing into a top-6 C at this point.

- He's young, and I'm not scared of that contract tbh.  7.5M isn't that much money for a 60+ point 2C.

- He's fantastic at faceoffs.

- You can only hope that the guy we pick at 17 turns into ROR in like 5 years.

This is assuming we don't get JT.  Timeline is tricky obviously.  I also don't think #17 alone gets him.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see trading the 17th pick for someone that isn't a defenseman.  I just think that's more of a pressing need right now, and if we don't select someone with that pick, I'd rather see us trade down and try to fill the void of picks we have in later rounds and hope that one or more of those picks materialize into something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't see trading the 17th pick for someone that isn't a defenseman.  I just think that's more of a pressing need right now, and if we don't select someone with that pick, I'd rather see us trade down and try to fill the void of picks we have in later rounds and hope that one or more of those picks materialize into something.

I'm always of the mind that you should use your 1st round pick and draft the best guy possible. The idea that there will only be crap left at #17 means that you aren't going to get anything great for it in a trade. 

But yeah, if we don't pick anyone, it'd be better to trade it than just say "we pass". ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm always of the mind that you should use your 1st round pick and draft the best guy possible. The idea that there will only be crap left at #17 means that you aren't going to get anything great for it in a trade. 

I suppose that's true, though I think in this case it's not necessarily that there will be crap left, but rather that there just simply won't be any highly touted defenseman left.  I don't pay close attention to prospects and what the draft class is like, but there may very well be some quality forwards left at #17, it's just that I'd rather us hold out for a defenseman. 

But yeah, if we don't pick anyone, it'd be better to trade it than just say "we pass". ;)

You're one of those people who doesn't use Oxford commas, aren't you...? <_<:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I suppose that's true, though I think in this case it's not necessarily that there will be crap left, but rather that there just simply won't be any highly touted defenseman left.  I don't pay close attention to prospects and what the draft class is like, but there may very well be some quality forwards left at #17, it's just that I'd rather us hold out for a defenseman. 

I'd prefer just picking the best guy available in that instance. We aren't THAT stacked at the AHL level.

 

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You're one of those people who doesn't use Oxford commas, aren't you...? <_<:D

I'm one of those people who will point out when you misspeak if I think its funny. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

This kid is a Left Wing, got drafted 38th overall (2nd round, Panthers) in 2016 & didn't end up signing with them - going back into this year's draft FWIW... 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-sp-panthers-adam-mascherin-dale-tallon-20180620-story.html

I love Adam Mascherin, I had him rated as a 1st Rounder in 2016. He's close to NHL-ready, just needs a little extra time in the AHL, if he's there at our pick in the 4th Round I would jump all over that but I doubt he will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a "draft clinic" today in Dallas with all the top prospects and... Blake Coleman(!) sporting his "CREATE HISTORY" Devils sweatshirt :D :koolaid:

Prospects on hand are Dahlin, Tkachuk, Dobson, Svechnikov, Zadina, and Bouchard

DgOeyZKXcAALLvX.jpg

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-06-19 at 3:00 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

3 NHL.com writers did a mock draft & here's who they had us picking FWIW:  https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-mock-draft-final-rasmus-dahlin-no-1/c-299112416?tid=277764372

17. New Jersey Devils

Kimelman -- Wilde: He checks all the boxes teams look for in defensemen: size, scoring touch (41 points in 61 games) and skating ability. The Devils need young defensemen, and with patience Wilde should evolve into a top-end player.

Morreale -- Rasmus Sandin, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL): The 5-11, 186-pound left-shot defenseman has tremendous poise and hockey sense, and never puts teammates in a bad position with the puck. Sandin led OHL rookies with a plus-35 rating, and led rookie defensemen with 45 points (12 goals, 33 assists) in 51 games.

Lepage -- Denisenko: The forward did very well in his second season in Russia's junior league. He is blessed with individual skills and knows how to turn on the jets when a lane opens. He plays very aggressively and knows how to use his body. 

just saw some mock draft having Wilde going 27th. So damn hard to evaluate those guys

"Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP: Truly a “Wilde” card in this draft, he is skilled enough to go in Round 1, but the most recent viewings at the U-18s raised some red flags."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is even more awesome than something that would be really awesome. I love this kid... (I dunno how much of it is a public stunt but i rather don't wanna be cynical for once and just enjoy it) 

This is rrrrreally awesome ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Duh but here ya go anyway:  Tyler Feldman‏ @TylerFeldman

Fitzgerald also told me that the #NJDevils will select the best available player with the 17th overall pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

DgPlGJoUcAAOS0P.jpg

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.