February 24th Elias night

Satans Hockey

4 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

Rumor has it all but 4-6 reps have been let go. I don't even know if my rep is still with the company anymore. Might shoot him a call later just to see if his phone is still connected. sh!tstorm is brewing...

I'm not a STH but having bought tickets before, I was assigned a rep. He took care of me a couple times last season when some issues arose, but I e-mailed him a week ago and got no response. Hopefully he's still with the company, he seemed not only like a nice guy but also excited about what he was doing. 

I'm flying home the day of Elias night, couldn't risk a delay and missing it. May try a last minute StubHub grab on that day, short of that, I'll be watching from home in my Elias jersey. 

Edited by mfitz804

• 2 months later...

Thought this was interesting - Patty did an hour-long interview with Cangy today & here's an excerpt: 

Steve Cangialosi‏ @CangyManMSG

In a fantastic career, Elias said there were 2 regrets: 1) The “A” line not getting to play together for longer than two seasons...

And not winning Cup in 2012. Personally felt losing that series to LA was harder than 2001 v Colorado. (Reunited with Sykora that season).

Patty's back in the area for a bit... not sure how long he's staying though? 

Surprised he was more disappointed in 2012 than 2001.  In 2012 they were lucky to scratch and claw their way back into the series to win 2 games.  In 2001 they were up 3-2 before losing games 6 and 7 (and going out on a whimper at that).

I guess maybe 2012 was harder because it was his last hurrah.  Total speculation.

28 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Thought this was interesting - Patty did an hour-long interview with Cangy today & here's an excerpt: 

Steve Cangialosi‏ @CangyManMSG

In a fantastic career, Elias said there were 2 regrets: 1) The “A” line not getting to play together for longer than two seasons...

And not winning Cup in 2012. Personally felt losing that series to LA was harder than 2001 v Colorado. (Reunited with Sykora that season).

Patty's back in the area for a bit... not sure how long he's staying though? 

Always interesting to hear takes from the guys who lived it all.

Re:  A line, yeah, there will always be a level of "What if?" with them, but at the same time, it's understandable why Lou didn't keep it together (doing nothing on the road in 2001-02, Arnott being a bit of a headcase, Stevens and others feeling like Sykora could've played more during the Carolina series, etc).  And both Langs and Friesen did factor heavily into the team winning the 2003 Cup.  If that line had been more consistent during the regular season, Lou probably gives them another season.  I remember both Elias and Sykora looking very lost right after Arnott was dealt.  I got the impression all three of them were blindsided by the move.

Like DM84, I'm also surprised 2001 wasn't more disappointing for Elias...they had a chance to win their second straight Cup on their home ice, and came out with a whimper.  A very strange game. 

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Always interesting to hear takes from the guys who lived it all.

Re:  A line, yeah, there will always be a level of "What if?" with them, but at the same time, it's understandable why Lou didn't keep it together (doing nothing on the road in 2001-02, Arnott being a bit of a headcase, Stevens and others feeling like Sykora could've played more during the Carolina series, etc).  And both Langs and Friesen did factor heavily into the team winning the 2003 Cup.  If that line had been more consistent during the regular season, Lou probably gives them another season.  I remember both Elias and Sykora looking very lost right after Arnott was dealt.  I got the impression all three of them were blindsided by the move.

Like DM84, I'm also surprised 2001 wasn't more disappointing for Elias...they had a chance to win their second straight Cup on their home ice, and came out with a whimper.  A very strange game. 

I have heard a few times that Sykora and Elias never really got along THAT well.  I even heard rumors that Arnott and Elias were closer than Elias and Sykora.  It was mostly because Sykora was a bit of a loner when he was on the team.

That 01-02 season was weird.  Team (and the A Line) were great at home, very shaky on the road.  Add in there the coaching change with the very short tenure of Kevin Constantine.  I think Lou brought in the remains of Kamensky and Richer that year to spark some offense before basically hitting the nuclear option by trading away Arnott and McKay for Langs and Nieuwendyk and then later Sykora and pieces for Friesen and Tverdovsky in the offseason.

Surprised he was more disappointed in 2012 than 2001.  In 2012 they were lucky to scratch and claw their way back into the series to win 2 games.  In 2001 they were up 3-2 before losing games 6 and 7 (and going out on a whimper at that).
I guess maybe 2012 was harder because it was his last hurrah.  Total speculation.

Could be 2012 bothered Patty more because he thought it could be his last chance at a Cup, and that's perfectly understandable- he probably figured back in 2001 that he was still right in his prime (along with Marty and Nieds, and Stevens still had a lot of gas in the tank) and would have a few more chances... As a fan though, 2001 will always be the one that got away for me. It was our shot at going back-to-back, and if there's one year that sticks in my craw and will until the day I die, it's 2001. 2012 hurt, but I look back at that run fondly because of who we beat to get there, and because it was so unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Stevens actually looked a little slow in those 2001 SCF...first time I remember thinking he looked a little old.  He still put together some fine seasons after that, as well as know.

The big difference to me in those series was in 2012, the Devils were down 3-0...sure, they made it somewhat interesting, and like most other Devils fans I held onto what ever hope there was, but it was only a matter of time before the Kings would finish them off, especially with Quick stopping damned near everything.  The Devils had a chance to win the 2001 Cup on their home ice, and as we all saw, came up minuscule.

Obvious Patrik isn't wrong in the slightest to feel how he does, but I guess I do find it surprising, since one series was so much more in their grasp.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 8:26 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Could be 2012 bothered Patty more because he thought it could be his last chance at a Cup, and that's perfectly understandable- he probably figured back in 2001 that he was still right in his prime (along with Marty and Nieds, and Stevens still had a lot of gas in the tank) and would have a few more chances... 

That plus he hadn't even been there since 2003 so it's a different dissapointment than not winning back-to-back against another great team in Colorado.  Plus people forget because we went down 3-0 to the Kings that we lost Games 1 and 2 both in OT, could have been a very different story with just one win on home ice to start the series.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2017 at 2:49 PM, DevsMan84 said:

I wouldn't say scratch and claw, they lost games 1 and 2 in overtime.

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

They had to scratch and claw to those two wins after being down 3-0.

OT or not in the first two games, the entire series wasn't even that close.

Yeah, LA was just better, and very hard to play against.  And the way that series evolved, the Devils couldn't afford a big mistake if they were going to pull off the highly improbable...Bernier's major penalty just killed them. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, LA was just better, and very hard to play against.  And the way that series evolved, the Devils couldn't afford a big mistake if they were going to pull off the highly improbable...Bernier's major penalty just killed them. 

Yeah that was totally like getting stabbed in the balls a couple of times. 

But even going into that series, I think it was pretty much expected that LA was beating whoever they faced. Much like in 1994 when it was assumed that whoever faced Vancouver was going to win. 

In my opinion, that's the real one that got away. Fvcking Matteau, screwed that up and then we had to draft his son who sucked. 

• 2 months later...
Was he only a U.S. citizen because of the NHL, and he was on some type of "work visa" because his job was playing in this country?  Are most players like that?  If that is truly the case, I had no idea...

Yes if you're from another country, you play here on a P-1 visa, which is a specific visa for foreign athletes. I'm sure it's the same for non-Canadians who play for Canadian teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or at least to be free to come here as he pleases. Who knows, maybe he has something going on. Or maybe it was easier to do that than to have to get visas in the event he's doing some sort of work for the team. 

I was contemplating taking my daughter to Elias Night but decided against it. I think we'd both appreciate the ceremony more at home, and honestly, any later of a game start than 7:00 means she starts to fade by the end. 

So I will watch it from the same vantage point I have watched the previous 4. 

He probably had a green card which has some restrictions on how long you can stay out of the US without forfeiting your permanent residency.  With citizenship he can stay out of the country as long as he wants and come and go as he pleases.

• Like 1