February 24th Elias night

Satans Hockey

Brodeur to the Blues was not a big deal. He was terrible at that point and acting passive aggressive. He wanted to go and everybody knew he wouldn't last more than a handful of games which is exactly what happened.

Elias to NYR would've been devastating. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have won another Cup with them considering how many good seasons he had left. Lamoriello is so lucky Elias reached back out when all hope seemed to be lost.

Also fair to point out that Elias would've been crucified across the river if he had turned in similar numbers in his first two seasons there...as many remember, the first two seasons of his seven-year deal were far from his best.  The guy suffered through a four-goals-in-42-games drought.  He got off much lighter here than he ever would have there.

36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also fair to point out that Elias would've been crucified across the river if he had turned in similar numbers in his first two seasons there...as many remember, the first two seasons of his seven-year deal were far from his best.  The guy suffered through a four-goals-in-42-games drought.  He got off much lighter here than he ever would have there.

If he put up similar numbers he would've felt the heat, true. But that was also a Rangers team on the rise with a great goalie so I can't see Elias being scapegoated. They would've been in the playoffs and that's where Elias always raised his game. Guess we'll never know what kind of chemistry he would've developed over there with their core...but I can't see him failing and being banished like Redden or having a forgettable Holik like tenure

13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wow watching this intermission special about Elias and UFA - he's essentially said he verbally accepted an offer from the Rangers, and gave Lou a chance to match (and include a NTC).

Blows my mind.  I had no idea he was like... 10 minutes away from being a NYR.

fvck me that would've sucked.

I knew that part for a while, what was new to me was that Lou basically told him we probably wouldn’t have the money to re-sign him and didn’t negotiate with him at all till the Rangers refused his NTC ask and Elias called back himself. That’s a poor job on Lou’s part tbh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I knew that part for a while, what was new to me was that Lou basically told him we probably wouldn’t have the money to re-sign him and didn’t negotiate with him at all till the Rangers refused his NTC ask and Elias called back himself. That’s a poor job on Lou’s part tbh

i had actually heard that Lou always told Elias to go and find the best offer and come back to him. in fact, with anyone Lou wanted to keep, he always said that and if he wanted to match/beat it, he would. with rafalski, detroit gave him such a good offer that lou didn't want to match.

it's a risky gamble because, in rafalski's case, he wanted to stay and lou probably could've gotten him with a contract less than detroit's if he offered it early enough. he didn't. lou's "when you have time on your side, use it" thinking burned him there.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Once Clowe's contract is over and off the cap can we also replace him with Patty behind the bench ? 

Nothing against Clowe and players don't always make great coaches but Patty's hockey IQ would be a great asset.

Elias apparently jokes with Hynes about not coaching anytime soon. Hynes said Elias sends him pics with his feet up drinking red wine watching Devils games on tv lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Forever a Devil by Patrik Elias - The Players Tribune

With an appearance by the CLOWN BANNER!

Wow...what an absolutely fantastic read. Ngl, got a little choked up just reading it. The story about his brother’s injury is crazy. My favorite part was Patty thinking Stevens and Dano looked like real life Vikings the first time he saw them. :lol:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I love Lou, but holy fvck I got angry reading that he basically didn't make an offer to Elias after 2005, and it took Elias calling him to say "I want to come back" in order to keep him.

I wonder what the Devils would have looked like without Lou. Would Niedermayer have stayed? Would the A-Line ever have been broken up? Meh. 

Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother so yes we could've kept him if Lou brought in Rob a bit earlier

Breaking up the A-Line that quickly wasn't the wrong idea. They won the cup in 2003 with no A-Line. Besides you really didn't see lines that stuck together forever like the French Connection in that era's NHL.

After 2006 Lou had a rough go of things. We had a poor owner. His drafting suffered and teams caught up to us and developed better methodologies in terms of picking players . His decisions with coaches were bad. He didn't have the best understanding regarding what it took to win in the new NHL. 

Wow...what an absolutely fantastic read. Ngl, got a little choked up just reading it. The story about his brother’s injury is crazy. My favorite part was Patty thinking Stevens and Dano looked like real life Vikings the first time he saw them. :lol:

I was getting choked up too.... Never knew about Patty's brother and what a driving force that was for him to really excel at hockey. And the Dano and Scotty stories were hilarious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And people bagged on Marty for playing 8 games with the Blues. Which is worse?

Context is everything. Patty was told thank you for your time, go get yourself a contract from someone else. The Rangers were the last man standing after the field dwindled down and might have been it until Elias gave Lou one last shot.

They are very different scenarios. Idk if I'm considered one of those people who "bagged on" Marty for those 8 games, but it did upset me a little. It still does. It would have upset me as much if Elias did the same thing. I'm extremely happy he did not and that he decided finished his career as a Devil. For me, to go the distance with one team makes it a little more special.

Loved this part of the article: :cheers:

I remember that when Ken Daneyko would get a penalty, he would turn to the referee who was bringing him to the penalty box, and he would ask him, completely seriously, “What are you punishing me for, ref? BRUTE STRENGTH? That’s not a crime, sir!”

I remember that whenever Scott Stevens would defend me and Petr Sykora in practice, he would treat it like he was playing Peter Forsberg in the Stanley Cup Finals. He was the most intense practice player I’ve ever seen in my life. Petr and I used to drive him crazy by criss-crossing on 2-on-1s and doing these little drop passes, and he’d be yelling, “You’ll never have that much time in a game! That European stuff is gonna get you get killed! Killed!”

I remember how many hours and hours that me, Petr and Jason Arnott used to mess around after practice, just floating into empty spaces at the back post and throwing blind passes to one another, in order to develop a sixth sense for where we’d be.

1 hour ago, squishyx said:

Context is everything. Patty was told thank you for your time, go get yourself a contract from someone else. The Rangers were the last man standing after the field dwindled down and might have been it until Elias gave Lou one last shot.

They are very different scenarios. Idk if I'm considered one of those people who "bagged on" Marty for those 8 games, but it did upset me a little. It still does. It would have upset me as much if Elias did the same thing. I'm extremely happy he did not and that he decided finished his career as a Devil. For me, to go the distance with one team makes it a little more special.

What could we have done at this point? We were extremely accommodating to him. He was a bad goalie that wanted to keep playing. Would he accepted the role here in NJ as a backup who make 14-16 starts a season while Cory starts 66-68? 

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I love Lou, but holy fvck I got angry reading that he basically didn't make an offer to Elias after 2005, and it took Elias calling him to say "I want to come back" in order to keep him.

I wonder what the Devils would have looked like without Lou. Would Niedermayer have stayed? Would the A-Line ever have been broken up? Meh. 

Supposedly Elias' money was going to Zdeno Chara.