February 24th Elias night

Satans Hockey

Or at least to be free to come here as he pleases. Who knows, maybe he has something going on. Or maybe it was easier to do that than to have to get visas in the event he's doing some sort of work for the team. 

I was contemplating taking my daughter to Elias Night but decided against it. I think we'd both appreciate the ceremony more at home, and honestly, any later of a game start than 7:00 means she starts to fade by the end. 

So I will watch it from the same vantage point I have watched the previous 4. 

He probably had a green card which has some restrictions on how long you can stay out of the US without forfeiting your permanent residency.  With citizenship he can stay out of the country as long as he wants and come and go as he pleases.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a tough time making it to games lately. The plus side of that is, I saved the money I would have spent on tickets in an envelope. 

While I felt like Elias Night was too expensive on the secondary market, I'm now contemplating going. I get back from vacation on Friday the 23rd and will check StubHub prices and see if its worth it. If it costs me what it would usually cost me for two games, I think that's probably worth it to me. But, I also want to wait until I'm back in town, just in case I get stuck or something on the way back, I don't want to have spent $300 on hockey tickets I can't use. 

I'll see what happens. 

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I've had a tough time making it to games lately. The plus side of that is, I saved the money I would have spent on tickets in an envelope. 

While I felt like Elias Night was too expensive on the secondary market, I'm now contemplating going. I get back from vacation on Friday the 23rd and will check StubHub prices and see if its worth it. If it costs me what it would usually cost me for two games, I think that's probably worth it to me. But, I also want to wait until I'm back in town, just in case I get stuck or something on the way back, I don't want to have spent $300 on hockey tickets I can't use. 

I'll see what happens. 

Go.

This'll be my first ever retirement night, and a good time to catch one. Who knows how long we'll have to wait for the next one. Some fan bases never get to experience it, we've been spoiled over the last decade or so. It's going to be special to tell my kids and grandkids that I saw all those guys play. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'll see what happens. 

I get back on 2/25 (going on a Disney cruise, scheduled it before Elias' big day was announced).  It's killing me that I have to miss Elias' ceremony.  We've been over it, but who knows when another Devil will be worthy of a jersey retirement.  It's too early to speculate about anyone currently on the roster.  Greene and Zajac were dark horses at one point due to simple longevity, but it doesn't feel like either one has enough left in the tank...maybe if Zajac somehow gets to over 1000 GP as a Devil (he's at 814 and counting) and is here for a Cup win or two, he becomes a candidate, but that's a serious longshot.  It's really hard to put him up there with the soon-to-be-fivesome though...the rest were all so special in their own way.  I like Zajac a lot (just seems like a good guy and he's easy to root for, even though he's struggled this season), but even with 1000+ GP and a SC ring...I don't know. 

Agree about Zajac -- he'll probably be on the fringe at best, though there's something to be said about a guy who's a lifer, a la Daneyko, even if he falls short of 1000 GP (I think he'll surpass that though).  

Definitely to early to speculate, but for argument's sake let's say Hall stays with us for the next 12-15 years...depending on his production, I'd say he's the next probably candidate, so you're looking at easily a decade before another jersey retirement.  

14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agree about Zajac -- he'll probably be on the fringe at best, though there's something to be said about a guy who's a lifer, a la Daneyko, even if he falls short of 1000 GP (I think he'll surpass that though).  

Definitely to early to speculate, but for argument's sake let's say Hall stays with us for the next 12-15 years...depending on his production, I'd say he's the next probably candidate, so you're looking at easily a decade before another jersey retirement.  

I am not sure if he will still be playing when he is 38-41 years old.  He already has 500 games under his belt at 26 years old.

If Brylin isn’t there, then Zajac shouldn’t be there unless he inexplicably takes his career to another level in his 30s.  

I like the idea of the Devils retiring numbers of players that were only truly exceptional and impactful, and not doing it the extremely lame way that the Rags do it where it’s like Oprah giving out new cars.  Dano’s number being retired should be considered the exception that proves the rule. 

If Hall has, say, a Joe Thornton type of career, that’s exceptional in my book.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

If Brylin isn’t there, then Zajac shouldn’t be there unless he inexplicably takes his career to another level in his 30s.  

I like the idea of the Devils retiring numbers of players that were only truly exceptional and impactful, and not doing it the extremely lame way that the Rags do it where it’s like Oprah giving out new cars.  Dano’s number being retired should be considered the exception that proves the rule. 

Have to agree. 

Daneyko has a long career with the team, he didn’t put up numbers but his longevity plus 3 Cups mean I don’t have any problem with it. 

I think you could argue for Brylin along the same lines, though Dano played like 500 games more. Brylin was a nice player for 10 years. If they retired his number I’d be ok with it, but it’s not offensive to me if they don’t. Statwise he had only one great season and several other nice ones. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Have to agree. 

Daneyko has a long career with the team, he didn’t put up numbers but his longevity plus 3 Cups mean I don’t have any problem with it. 

I think you could argue for Brylin along the same lines, though Dano played like 500 games more. Brylin was a nice player for 10 years. If they retired his number I’d be ok with it, but it’s not offensive to me if they don’t. Statwise he had only one great season and several other nice ones. 

Serious question, is Dano's number retired because he was loyal to the team his entire career, or something to that extent? I don't really remember his career to be perfectly honest

As for Sarge, I hope he at the minimum is the next entrant to the Ring of Honor, I'm actually surprised there isn't one this season.

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Serious question, is Dano's number retired because he was loyal to the team his entire career, or something to that extent? I don't really remember his career to be perfectly honest

As for Sarge, I hope he at the minimum is the next entrant to the Ring of Honor, I'm actually surprised there isn't one this season.

Daneyko was a good player in his time.  But his number was retired because he was really the original Devil, having been drafted in the team’s first year and having played his entire career with the team.  He’s also a Jersey guy, in that it’s become his adopted home.  

There’s also a reason that the Devils very deliberately waited to retire Daneyko’s number so Stevens would be the first to have his retired.  Basically to make the point that it would be for only exceptional players with only one exception (pun intended).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Serious question, is Dano's number retired because he was loyal to the team his entire career, or something to that extent? I don't really remember his career to be perfectly honest.

Basically yes. Plus the three Cups.

Was basically a single digit goals and assists guy most of his career, at least like 10-12 consecutively at the end. Never a top pairing guy. If he played for 4 teams in his 20 years, his number would not have been retired. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jagknife said:

Daniel pretty much answered it, but yeah, true Devil lifer, played in 1458 games as a Devil (regular season and playoffs combined), just your perfect lunchpail guy who while not a flashy star by any stretch, was a solid Everyman kind of player for a long time who brought it just about every night.  Devils (especially McMullen) were quite loyal to him too...it was very much a two-way street (without going too deeply into it, Dano was having some issues at one point, and the franchise stuck by him). 

Agree on Sarge...to me he'll never be a legit number retirement candidate, but he's worthy of the Ring of Honor, along with others. 

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

I hate the Rangers and I definitely think they've gone to the 1994 well way too many times, but of the four numbers that they've retired recently (Messier, Leetch, Graves, and Richter), is there really a strong argument to be made against any of them?  Messier's second Rangers tenure was about as detrimental as it gets, but he was obviously a huge reason why that team won their Cup, especially since he pretty much held the team together while Keenan basically went loonytunes.  Leetch was a no-brainer.  Richter was a Ranger lifer who won over 300 games (and whose numbers in the second half of his career were clearly affected by playing on some bad Ranger teams) and of course had a great season in helping his team win the Cup.  Graves was probably one of the best overachievers ever to play in the NHL...did anyone think that he was capable of scoring 33+ goals four times?  The guy got the absolute most out of his ability...and of course, the guy is about as positive of a community presence as one could be...the guy's heart is all gold, it really is.  I think he was worthy, for the all-around package...one of those guys you'd never be upset about representing your franchise.

All this being said, I think Jean Ratelle's number going up NOW is a bit ridiculous.  Yeah, he clearly had an excellent career, but the guy went into the HHOF in 1985...he wasn't worthy then or in the immediate years that followed, but NOW he is, just like that?  It's almost as though the Rangers saw that he was named to the Top 100 NHL Players of All Time list, and then decided that they'd better do this.  I guess it wouldn't be the first time that a franchise made up for a mistake of sorts, but what percentage of Ranger fans in attendance for his retirement will even know anything about Ratelle?  He last played for the Rangers in 1975. 

As fine as his career was, it was odd, in that it took him a while to get going...despite making his NHL debut at 20, he really didn't blossom until he was 27, but once he did, he was about consistent as a player could be, right up until the very end (his age 40 season).  From his age 27 to age 40 season, guy averaged 34 goals and 54 assists per 80 games (was a +299), and was a point-per-game player or better most of the time.  Also took just 128 penalty minutes over that timeframe (1022 regular season games).  It's just kind of funny the Rangers didn't deem him worthy until 2017.      

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Daniel pretty much answered it, but yeah, true Devil lifer, played in 1458 games as a Devil (regular season and playoffs combined), just your perfect lunchpail guy who while not a flashy star by any stretch, was a solid Everyman kind of player for a long time who brought it just about every night.  Devils (especially McMullen) were quite loyal to him too...it was very much a two-way street (without going too deeply into it, Dano was having some issues at one point, and the franchise stuck by him). 

Agree on Sarge...to me he'll never be a legit number retirement candidate, but he's worthy of the Ring of Honor, along with others. 

I hate the Rangers and I definitely think they've gone to the 1994 well way too many times, but of the four numbers that they've retired recently (Messier, Leetch, Graves, and Richter), is there really a strong argument to be made against any of them?  Messier's second Rangers tenure was about as detrimental as it gets, but he was obviously a huge reason why that team won their Cup, especially since he pretty much held the team together while Keenan basically went loonytunes.  Leetch was a no-brainer.  Richter was a Ranger lifer who won over 300 games (and whose numbers in the second half of his career were clearly affected by playing on some bad Ranger teams) and of course had a great season in helping his team win the Cup.  Graves was probably one of the best overachievers ever to play in the NHL...did anyone think that he was capable of scoring 33+ goals four times?  The guy got the absolute most out of his ability...and of course, the guy is about as positive of a community presence as one could be...the guy's heart is all gold, it really is.  I think he was worthy, for the all-around package...one of those guys you'd never be upset about representing your franchise.

All this being said, I think Jean Ratelle's number going up NOW is a bit ridiculous.  Yeah, he clearly had an excellent career, but the guy went into the HHOF in 1985...he wasn't worthy then or in the immediate years that followed, but NOW he is, just like that?  It's almost as though the Rangers saw that he was named to the Top 100 NHL Players of All Time list, and then decided that they'd better do this.  I guess it wouldn't be the first time that a franchise made up for a mistake of sorts, but what percentage of Ranger fans in attendance for his retirement will even know anything about Ratelle?  He last played for the Rangers in 1975. 

As fine as his career was, it was odd, in that it took him a while to get going...despite making his NHL debut at 20, he really didn't blossom until he was 27, but once he did, he was about consistent as a player could be, right up until the very end (his age 40 season).  From his age 27 to age 40 season, guy averaged 34 goals and 54 assists per 80 games (was a +299), and was a point-per-game player or better most of the time.  Also took just 128 penalty minutes over that timeframe (1022 regular season games).  It's just kind of funny the Rangers didn't deem him worthy until 2017.      

Adam Graves certainly not.  That's like the Devils retiring Brian Gionta's number, but if Gio were more instrumental to winning the Cup in '03.

The Jean Ratelle thing is absurd, and it just shows you the intellectual level that Ranger fans are operating on that they're not embarrassed by it.  Most people in the building for that night will have probably never seen him play in a Rangers uniform, and probably never heard of him until they got the email that his number was being retired.  But tradition brah!

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The bolded is what is what I remember of Dano's playing days. That and everyone chanting 'one more year' to him and Stevens at the 03 cup celebration. I became a Devils fan in the early 90s, right before the first Cup, the days of Claude Vilgrain and Kevin Todd, but didn't start passionately following until I was in high school at the end of the 90s/early 2000s, so I appreciate the history lesson from the 3 of you guys!

Found out yesterday my other "vacation" is cancelled and I'll actually be able to make it to Elias night. Thank god for family still out there who had tickets already!

58 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Adam Graves certainly not.  That's like the Devils retiring Brian Gionta's number, but if Gio were more instrumental to winning the Cup in '03.

The Jean Ratelle thing is absurd, and it just shows you the intellectual level that Ranger fans are operating on that they're not embarrassed by it.  Most people in the building for that night will have probably never seen him play in a Rangers uniform, and probably never heard of him until they got the email that his number was being retired.  But tradition brah!

Gio comparison is a bad one...Gio played in 473 regular season games (7 season) as a Devil, and outside of one fluke season had some moments for sure, but just wasn't anything that special (though pretty popular with fans).  Graves played in 772 games (10 seasons) and like I said, was a much better-than-expected player on the ice, and a great presence off it.  There was a lot to celebrate there...he meant something to that fanbase and community that can't be measured by raw numbers and talent alone.  There's outsiders who probably don't understand how a guy like Dano gets his number retired, but sometimes you have to be a fan of the team in question to understand.  As much as I hate the Rags, I've always respected Graves in general...I have a soft spot for overachiever/give-it-their-all types, though I do remember Graves being a bit dirty at times.   

Agree 100% on Ratelle...I know these guys will always see getting their numbers retired as an honor no matter what the timing, but in a way it's almost a little insulting...almost "Guys, I've been in the HHOF for over 30 years, I haven't been on the ice with you in over 40 years, my career numbers and legacy haven't changed one bit in all that time, so what made you decide that I'm worthy NOW?!"  I'm sure he doesn't see it that way and I'm not saying that he should, and sure it's a nice gift for someone well into his golden years (he's 77 years old), but it's still just weird.  I'm guessing maybe 30% of that audience (tops) will any real genuine memories of having seen him play...a ten-year-old who saw his final days as a Ranger is now 53 years old.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976