Jump to content

February 24th Elias night


Recommended Posts

Heard from numerous people that people got in early and just bought stacks of patches, I really don't get why they don't put a limit. It's ridiculous. Plus on Saturday they should do like the concerts/WWE and setup tables on the concourse that sell just Elias merch. They make things more difficult when the solutions are really easy. 

Yeah the Devils have always been tone deaf as fvck when it comes to stuff like this. It's frustrating, but not really surprising. I checked e-Bay and there's already a sh!tload of Patty merch up lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wonder what the real reason is he won't be attending. Because it sure as hell isn't that weak-ass excuse. Truth will come out sooner or later. Lou Lamoriello made a 9 player trade THE VERY DAY he

The A-Line Reunion: Grade "A" Company

Posted Images

Wow watching this intermission special about Elias and UFA - he's essentially said he verbally accepted an offer from the Rangers, and gave Lou a chance to match (and include a NTC).

Blows my mind.  I had no idea he was like... 10 minutes away from being a NYR.

fvck me that would've sucked.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Devilsfan118 said:

Wow watching this intermission special about Elias and UFA - he's essentially said he verbally accepted an offer from the Rangers, and gave Lou a chance to match (and include a NTC).

Blows my mind.  I had no idea he was pretty much 95% NYR if Lou hadn't stepped up.

fvck me that would've sucked.

That's not a new story but yeah that would have been absolutely horrendous. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Satans Hockey said:

That's not a new story but yeah that would have been absolutely horrendous. 

I always knew he supposedly had talks with the Rangers, but yeah the fact that he was just about ready to put pen to paper is news to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I always knew he supposedly had talks with the Rangers, but yeah the fact that he was just about ready to put pen to paper is news to me.

And people bagged on Marty for playing 8 games with the Blues. Which is worse?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brodeur to the Blues was not a big deal. He was terrible at that point and acting passive aggressive. He wanted to go and everybody knew he wouldn't last more than a handful of games which is exactly what happened.

Elias to NYR would've been devastating. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have won another Cup with them considering how many good seasons he had left. Lamoriello is so lucky Elias reached back out when all hope seemed to be lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also fair to point out that Elias would've been crucified across the river if he had turned in similar numbers in his first two seasons there...as many remember, the first two seasons of his seven-year deal were far from his best.  The guy suffered through a four-goals-in-42-games drought.  He got off much lighter here than he ever would have there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Also fair to point out that Elias would've been crucified across the river if he had turned in similar numbers in his first two seasons there...as many remember, the first two seasons of his seven-year deal were far from his best.  The guy suffered through a four-goals-in-42-games drought.  He got off much lighter here than he ever would have there.

If he put up similar numbers he would've felt the heat, true. But that was also a Rangers team on the rise with a great goalie so I can't see Elias being scapegoated. They would've been in the playoffs and that's where Elias always raised his game. Guess we'll never know what kind of chemistry he would've developed over there with their core...but I can't see him failing and being banished like Redden or having a forgettable Holik like tenure

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wow watching this intermission special about Elias and UFA - he's essentially said he verbally accepted an offer from the Rangers, and gave Lou a chance to match (and include a NTC).

Blows my mind.  I had no idea he was like... 10 minutes away from being a NYR.

fvck me that would've sucked.

I knew that part for a while, what was new to me was that Lou basically told him we probably wouldn’t have the money to re-sign him and didn’t negotiate with him at all till the Rangers refused his NTC ask and Elias called back himself. That’s a poor job on Lou’s part tbh

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I knew that part for a while, what was new to me was that Lou basically told him we probably wouldn’t have the money to re-sign him and didn’t negotiate with him at all till the Rangers refused his NTC ask and Elias called back himself. That’s a poor job on Lou’s part tbh

i had actually heard that Lou always told Elias to go and find the best offer and come back to him. in fact, with anyone Lou wanted to keep, he always said that and if he wanted to match/beat it, he would. with rafalski, detroit gave him such a good offer that lou didn't want to match.

it's a risky gamble because, in rafalski's case, he wanted to stay and lou probably could've gotten him with a contract less than detroit's if he offered it early enough. he didn't. lou's "when you have time on your side, use it" thinking burned him there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Once Clowe's contract is over and off the cap can we also replace him with Patty behind the bench ? 

Nothing against Clowe and players don't always make great coaches but Patty's hockey IQ would be a great asset.

 

Elias apparently jokes with Hynes about not coaching anytime soon. Hynes said Elias sends him pics with his feet up drinking red wine watching Devils games on tv lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Forever a Devil by Patrik Elias - The Players Tribune

 

With an appearance by the CLOWN BANNER!

Wow...what an absolutely fantastic read. Ngl, got a little choked up just reading it. The story about his brother’s injury is crazy. My favorite part was Patty thinking Stevens and Dano looked like real life Vikings the first time he saw them. :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Lou, but holy fvck I got angry reading that he basically didn't make an offer to Elias after 2005, and it took Elias calling him to say "I want to come back" in order to keep him.

I wonder what the Devils would have looked like without Lou. Would Niedermayer have stayed? Would the A-Line ever have been broken up? Meh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I love Lou, but holy fvck I got angry reading that he basically didn't make an offer to Elias after 2005, and it took Elias calling him to say "I want to come back" in order to keep him.

I wonder what the Devils would have looked like without Lou. Would Niedermayer have stayed? Would the A-Line ever have been broken up? Meh. 

Niedermayer wanted to play with his brother so yes we could've kept him if Lou brought in Rob a bit earlier

Breaking up the A-Line that quickly wasn't the wrong idea. They won the cup in 2003 with no A-Line. Besides you really didn't see lines that stuck together forever like the French Connection in that era's NHL.

After 2006 Lou had a rough go of things. We had a poor owner. His drafting suffered and teams caught up to us and developed better methodologies in terms of picking players . His decisions with coaches were bad. He didn't have the best understanding regarding what it took to win in the new NHL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wow...what an absolutely fantastic read. Ngl, got a little choked up just reading it. The story about his brother’s injury is crazy. My favorite part was Patty thinking Stevens and Dano looked like real life Vikings the first time he saw them. :lol:

I was getting choked up too.... Never knew about Patty's brother and what a driving force that was for him to really excel at hockey. And the Dano and Scotty stories were hilarious!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And people bagged on Marty for playing 8 games with the Blues. Which is worse?

Context is everything. Patty was told thank you for your time, go get yourself a contract from someone else. The Rangers were the last man standing after the field dwindled down and might have been it until Elias gave Lou one last shot.

They are very different scenarios. Idk if I'm considered one of those people who "bagged on" Marty for those 8 games, but it did upset me a little. It still does. It would have upset me as much if Elias did the same thing. I'm extremely happy he did not and that he decided finished his career as a Devil. For me, to go the distance with one team makes it a little more special.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.