Will Butcher Agrees to Terms with Devils for 2017

LittleBallofHate

Figured I'd start on thread on this since it's so quiet/not much news this time of the year.  

Denver Post writer said we're in the running!  

Not sure why he'd meet with the VGK since they have 11 D-men under contract but OK... 

It's official: Will Butcher to formally reject #Avs, visit with Devils, Sabres, Golden Knights http://dpo.st/2vAUNWE  via @denverpost

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I've heard this dude doesn't project to have much of an NHL future, so it's 'whatever' to me whether we sign him or not.

I'm in the same camp. Could be something, could be nothing. Wouldn't mind giving him a shot. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I've heard this dude doesn't project to have much of an NHL future, so it's 'whatever' to me whether we sign him or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see him as a future star, but I think you can bank on him being an NHLer, he certainly accomplished way more than Jimmy Vesey and even though Vesey isn't a star, he is an NHL level player. With how shallow we are on defense, I wouldn't sneeze at a free 22 year old NHL level prospect.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

I don't see him as a future star, but I think you can bank on him being an NHLer, he certainly accomplished way more than Jimmy Vesey and even though Vesey isn't a star, he is an NHL level player. With how shallow we are on defense, I wouldn't sneeze at a free 22 year old NHL level prospect.

My exact thinking on the issue as well. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from SB Nation but it's similar to other projections I've read. I'd love to have him and happy to be in the running but I'm not getting my hopes up... 

Butcher also showed an impressive two-way game at Denver that could fit well in the modern NHL. He’s got good skating ability, playmaking, and hockey sense, which he put on display with 37 points in 43 games as a college senior. The defenseman steadily improved his point-per-game production each year, from 0.42 to 0.47 to 0.82 to 0.86.

That’s what you want to see out of a top college prospect, and it gives hope that Butcher could be the kind of mobile, puck-moving defenseman who is increasingly becoming a staple of the NHL. He may not have the upside of a No. 1 or top-pairing defenseman at the highest level, but he could be a solid third- or even second-pairing blue liner in short order. That’d be massive value for a team signing him to an affordable ELC.

6 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Not about $$, only a  legit chance to make the big club. No different than any other club ice time wise. Everyone gets opportunity to compete for a job

From NHL.com, don't expect to hear much for about a week: 

"Will's going to be on a number of conference calls Wednesday, and if there's an opportunity that's compelling, we'll pursue it," Bartlett told the Review-Journal. "I think with talking to the teams and visiting a couple of the cities, it will take about a week to get it done."

• Like 1

Yep, now's not the time to be conservative.  It's a free asset.  If it's a free 3rd pair D, great.  If it's a free 2nd pair D, great.  It seems that all the reports suggest he will be more than a 7th/AHL D-man.  And since D is highly coveted in this league, it's a no brainer to be at the table, not to mention NJ's dire need for young talent on the back-line.  Sure, if he doesn't sign here, no tears should be shed.  But we should all be crossing our fingers that he does.  The comparisons with Vesey imply that he will be better at his respective position.  Vesey scored 14 goals as a rookie last year, granted, a 23-yr old rookie.  If Vesey is a 40 point wing this season, perhaps Butcher turns into a 25-30 point 2-way D, which would certainly be nice.  People pay big money for that kind of thing, well, unless your name happens to be Franson.  Definitely excited to at least read NJ is on the list.

Kerfoot is already being seduced by the bright lights (brah). Growing up in Vancouver in the early 2000's how can you not be smitten with Ronald Petrovicky, Richard Lintner, and the cardiac Rangers? Time to fulfill that lifelong dream. Because clearly this Rangers team is on the upswing.

Butcher is undersized, a good fast skater but not a powerful one. Could get tossed around in the defensive zone if he doesn't put on like 15 lbs of muscle.

Peter Harrold comes to mind.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Have never seen Butcher play but the list of Hobie Baker winners as seniors is not impressive whatsoever. And I have no idea what to think about him as a player because for every article/post ive seen saying hes a good skater, ive seen ones saying his skating is what will keep him out of the nhl.... :blink:

Denver's coach said this to NJ.com regarding Butcher's decision progress

"I think the Devils are high on that list," Montgomery said. "I don't know for sure, but from what I've been hearing, they're a team that's definitely in that mix."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/08/denver_coach_on_will_butchers_nhl_decision_devils.html

Edited by CommonDreads

4 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Denver's coach said this to NJ.com regarding Butcher's decision progress

"I think the Devils are high on that list," Montgomery said. "I don't know for sure, but from what I've been hearing, they're a team that's definitely in that mix."

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2017/08/denver_coach_on_will_butchers_nhl_decision_devils.html

Come here, Nico will get them to name a sandwich after you, too!

• Like 1