2017-2018 Prospects Thread

Derlique

Devils Insiders Retweeted

Finnish jr hockey Retweeted Leijonat

#NJDevilsNHL_2017_2018_NJDevils.png prospect Aarne Talvitie has been named the player of the month for January in the Finnish U20 league. He has been progressing really well since the draft, plays a strong 2-way game, can be counted on in key situations and puts up points.

LeijonatVerified account @leijonat
FollowFollow @leijonat
Bluesin Aarne Talvitie tammikuun paras pelaaja Nuorten SM-liigassa - Koko videohaastattelu Leijonien verkkopalvelussa: http://www.leijonat.fi/sarjat/nuorten-sm-liiga/2017-18/item/24546-bluesin-aarne-talvitie-tammikuun-paras-pelaaja-nuorten-sm-liigassa-videohaastattelu.html … #ASMfi #NuortenSM #Blues
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Another week has come and gone... so that means - Prospects Updates! wooo :evil: 

c/o Brian Franken (Feisty, we miss you!) of AATJ:  https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/2/6/16976338/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-2-6-18

I miss him too, but hes got bills to pay lol

• Like 1

There are some interesting defense prospects in the system now, with both Sissons and Davies consistently putting up a ton of points this year.

It's encouraging that Boqvist has had a pretty solid start in the SHL after being injured for the beginning of the season. He seems like someone who can be an impact player for us in a few years.

I'll be looking out for McLeod through the rest of the season. He's got to prove he can absolutely dominate the OHL by now, so those points really should be going up.

Nice little write up on some of our prospects (from Amanda Stein):  https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/prospect-pipeline-seney-leading-the-way-for-warriors/c-295714410

Snippet: 

Merimack's difficult season has been a blessing in disguise for Seney, as it has allowed him to focus more on the defensive side of his game and help him develop into a more complete, 200-foot player. 

"At the next level, you have to be just as strong in the defensive zone as you are in the offensive zone," he said. "I want to be fast and have good skills and vision and make the right plays when we have the puck, but I also want to be a player my coaches can rely on in all situations, and that includes being smart in the defensive zone when we don't have the puck."

Another blessing in disguise was offseason shoulder surgery, which allowed Seney to focus on his lower-body and core strength during his summer training. 

"You have to have a big lower frame and strong core at the next level, so that's what I worked on in the off season," he said. 

• Like 1

Article above's author has been changed to Julie R, FWIW... 

More importantly (?), this week's prospects updates are out! 

Franken/AATJ:  https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/2/13/17002368/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-2-13-18

Snippet from Pulz/Reddit below: https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/7xbisq/devils_prospects_update_213/

Who's Hot:

-Colby Sissons has continued to register points. He now has 10 assists in his last 8 games for Swift Current.

-Jeremy Davies adds to his trophy cabinet with Northeastern winning the Beanpot tournament last night (the first time in 30 years). Davies registered 2 assists in the championship game. This Beanpot tournament win is in addition to the Spengler Cup win for Jeremy Davies and Team Canada. 

I was very impressed with Jeremy Davies' play during the Beanpot tournament. His stickwork in the defensive zone was very impressive, and that's not to mention his offensive play...4 assists in the 2 games of the tournaments.

-While not at a point per game pace, Jesper Boqvist is putting up some really impressive numbers for a 19-year old 2nd round pick in the highest professional league in Sweden.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Is there anything to Colby Sissons?  Seems like he's having a very impressive year.

Pronman summed it up pretty well in his mailbag for the Athletic today. He's a prospect, but probably not high end. His team is stacked and he has a prominent role in that. He should be lauded for what he's doing, but his numbers are probably not quite reflective of his ability. 

15 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Pronman summed it up pretty well in his mailbag for the Athletic today. He's a prospect, but probably not high end. His team is stacked and he has a prominent role in that. He should be lauded for what he's doing, but his numbers are probably not quite reflective of his ability. 

Read that article this morning as well and those were probably my thoughts on him as well, might have some NHL potential as a 3rd pair guy but I wouldn't expect much more than that. Even so, it's nice to have something there on the left side with NHL upside and I think he probably slots in behind Rykov and Davies on our prospect pool on defense

Devils Insiders‏ @DevilsInsiders Devils Insiders Retweeted EP Transfers

Fabian Zetterlund loaned to the 2nd division of pro hockey in Sweden. Same league Jesper Bratt played in last season. #NJDevils

dalmashimself‏ @dalmashimself Replying to @DevilsInsiders

Very good for him. Timrå are in a playoff race with promotion to SHL as a possibility. Tough, intense and challenging games in the coming months. With more minutes than in Färjestad.

Ian Pulz Retweeted Devils Insiders

This should be a good move. Timra is a very strong team and the level of competition should be more appropriate for this stage of Zetterlund's development: SuperElit J20 wasn't as competitive whereas SHL may have been a bit too competitive for him. Allsvenskan could be just right.

• Like 1

Posted about him in the Grabner thread but apparently this guy Jacob MacDonald is tearing up the AHL. We need a good LHD prospect so this is great. He currently is tied for  most points on the team and he leads the league in power play goals for a defender. Here’s an article about him from January.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.allaboutthejersey.com/platform/amp/2017/12/8/16740556/defenseman-jacob-macdonald-quickly-becoming-a-top-prospect

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Posted about him in the Grabner thread but apparently this guy Jacob MacDonald is tearing up the AHL. We need a good LHD prospect so this is great. He currently is tied for  most points on the team and he leads the league in power play goals for a defender. Here’s an article about him from January.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.allaboutthejersey.com/platform/amp/2017/12/8/16740556/defenseman-jacob-macdonald-quickly-becoming-a-top-prospect

He's second in points for Defenseman behind our old prospect Matt Taormina?  Lol

In case you're interested, a series of tweets re: Mikey McLeod: Duncan Field‏ @DuncanMRF  Went and saw #NJDevils C Prospect Mikey McLeod yesterday in Guelph - some thoughts:

1) McLeod missed some time this season with a lower-body injury, and he seems to still be recovering some of his speed. Still a very strong skater and will get back to full speed soon

2) McLeod had a very strong game - 3 assists, all primary, with one extremely reminiscent of a Travis Zajac play this season - working hard in the corner, passing it out front. The McLeod-as-a-fast-Zajac discussions will continue

3) 19 y/o Cole Carter, traded from Kitchener this year to play with McLeod, had a hat trick. Mississauga is retooling their roster, and McLeod is playing mostly 2C as Miss prepares for next season's push. McLeod, 20, is eligible for AHL year and won't be returning.

4) McLeod being used as more of a zajac-type - defence oriented, heavy possession role. He's at 65% for faceoffs this year, well above the 61/58% of the last two seasons. He is bigger, stronger, and meaner - excellent news for #NJDevils fans

5) Some fans concerned over his production - still over a point per game, but not dominating the scoreboard like a Barzal. He's being put in an interesting position - not playing with top scorer Tippett. Should be interesting to see what happens w/ Carter as they make a late push

6) In terms of projection - I don't think much has changed, other than need. With Nico (and Zacha to lesser extent) excelling, McLeod's current role is perfect for #NJDevils developmental needs. McLeod could be a high-end 3C if Devils keep Hischier/Zacha as 1/2. Fast, Big, mean

7) Part of me wants to see a Wood/McLeod/Grabner line in preseason next year, just to see what happens. Both Wood and McLeod would be good exit/entry guys, all fast, all big. Q is if McLeod can crack roster next season - likely needs some AHL time, possible mid-season call up

8) remember as #NJDevils get better, it gets harder to make the team at 19, 20, 21. Focus shifts from development to winning now. McLeod is right on the edge of being good enough to make an augmented, competitive Devils team in a meaningful role. Would be happy either way.

:evil:

And a few tweets from Julie on Jesper Boqvist:   Julie Robenhymer ‏Verified account @JulieRobenhymer

Boqvist is high end. His wrist injury to start the season delayed his progress, but he came back for WJC and played well as he eased back in despite few points. Now in the SHL, he’s steadily earning more TOI and the points are coming. Big time playmaker & PP point producer.

It’s not only the offense, but the TOI he’s earning as a 19yo in a very competitive men’s league. It’s huge for his development, mentally and physically as much as skill-wise. He wanted to show more at WJC and you should never underestimate a motivated player!

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 3

Jacob MacDonald just turned 25 so he's no spring chicken but this is pretty impressive (esp considering how bad his team has been): 

Binghamton Devils‏ Verified account @BingDevils

Updating Jacob MacDonald's resume after last night:

Leads Devils in points (40)

Tied for lead among AHL (D) in points (40)

Leads all AHL (D) in in goals (15)

Leads all AHL (D) in power-play goals (9).

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Jacob MacDonald just turned 25 so he's no spring chicken but this is pretty impressive (esp considering how bad his team has been): 

Binghamton Devils‏ Verified account @BingDevils

Updating Jacob MacDonald's resume after last night:

Leads Devils in points (40)

Tied for lead among AHL (D) in points (40)

Leads all AHL (D) in in goals (15)

Leads all AHL (D) in power-play goals (9).

Yea buddy. Hopefully he can transition into the NHL or be valuable trade bait down the line.

Nice little write-up on some of our prospects by Julie Robenhymer - it's mainly about Sissons though:  

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/prospect-pipeline-sissons-having-career-year-in-whl/c-296710596

"I want to make a splash [in training camp]," he said. "I've gone into every camp wanting to make the New Jersey Devils. If that's not your intention, why show up? I mean, I'm a realist. I knew I was going back to junior this year, but maybe I opened a few more eyes and showed the management and the staff that maybe I'm a lot closer than they think. Next year, my goal is to make the New Jersey Devils and play in the NHL. Whatever happens, happens, but that's my mindset going in. I want to make the big club." 

Also, this week's prospects notes from Franken/AATJ:  https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/3/6/17083326/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-3-6-18

• Like 1

Tuesday again - time for a prospects update: https://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2018/3/13/17107006/new-jersey-devils-prospect-update-3-13-18

And another (the BREAKDOWN section is always interesting to read on this one):  https://www.reddit.com/r/devils/comments/847y0m/devils_prospects_update_313/T

ETA Link for (Reddit) Pulz prospects updates
  • Like 1