Jump to content

Vegas odds put Devils in last


RunninWithTheDevil
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lmfao. Please. I love all the slapdicks that think the Devils are gonna be this bad. I mean, fvck off. We aren't winning any Cups, but we aren't finishing dead last. Vegas is a fvcking embarrassment putting out odds like that, and I hope they enjoy the taste of sh!t, because they're gonna be eating a lot of it.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vegas oddsmakers factor in other things, like "how many people will bet on xx" as a way of changing their odds. The Devils have a relatively small fanbase -- much less represented in Las Vegas than the Vegas team themselves. Devils fans know their team is better than dead-last, but I bet if you took a group of 10 casual hockey fans, 8 of them would say we're the worst team in the league. That's how sports gambling works.
This isn't some jaded rangers fan sitting in a Vegas resort saying "huehuehue the debils are last"

I just think the Devils have gotten a bit of an exaggerated rap on how bad they are. This team isn't completely devoid of talent to the point where they should have the worst odds. Vancouver is worse. Arizona is worse. Colorado is worse. Vegas is worse. It's absurdly laughable that those teams have better odds than the Devils.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, not to mention, putting the odds that bad is baiting people like us to want to throw 10 bucks on them to win the Cup, only for that to not happen, and Vegas makes an easy 10 bucks.   

Now, if there were odds of us finishing ahead of either COL, VAN, VGS, ARZ, or all of the combined, I'd take that all day long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Vegas oddsmakers factor in other things, like "how many people will bet on xx" as a way of changing their odds. The Devils have a relatively small fanbase -- much less represented in Las Vegas than the Vegas team themselves. Devils fans know their team is better than dead-last, but I bet if you took a group of 10 casual hockey fans, 8 of them would say we're the worst team in the league. That's how sports gambling works.

This isn't some jaded rangers fan sitting in a Vegas resort saying "huehuehue the debils are last"

This is true, but I imagine there is a decent amount of ignorance generally when it comes to setting the odds on hockey.  My brother bet on Tampa one year to win with maybe 60-1 odds, and they made it pretty far in the playoffs.  It was probably one of those years where Tampa had a crap record the year before, but if you followed the sport you knew they were going to be improved the following year. 

As another reference, the Devils were something like 60 or 70 to 1 to win the Cup going into the 2011-12 season.  Considering how bad they were the year before, it doesn't seem like it was that outlandish a number.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

This is true, but I imagine there is a decent amount of ignorance generally when it comes to setting the odds on hockey.  My brother bet on Tampa one year to win with maybe 60-1 odds, and they made it pretty far in the playoffs.  It was probably one of those years where Tampa had a crap record the year before, but if you followed the sport you knew they were going to be improved the following year. 

As another reference, the Devils were something like 60 or 70 to 1 to win the Cup going into the 2011-12 season.  Considering how bad they were the year before, it doesn't seem like it was that outlandish a number.

It was 50/1. I put $50 bucks on it. Didn't hedge when they made the finals. Oh well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, because clearly we were top 5 before that.

:D

There's no way they could have have us worse than Colorado, Vegas, Vancouver, or Detroit before Zajac went down. We didn't lose anyone of significance and none of them got much better in the offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jerzey said:

There's no way they could have have us worse than Colorado, Vegas, Vancouver, or Detroit before Zajac went down. We didn't lose anyone of significance and none of them got much better in the offseason.

I still don't think we are worse than those teams without Travis.

Its all fine, I could give a rat's a$$ what anyone says. Underestimate us all day long. It's better than projecting that the Mets would go back to the World Series and then watching them constantly sh!t the bed. 

If we sh!t the bed, it'll be ok because Mom was expecting it and put the rubber sheets on. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

The Vegas Knights roster isn't great, but it's not all that bad. I'd say it's certainly possible that they finish higher than us in the standings.

Outside of Neal and MAF that roster is terrible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2017 at 9:44 AM, Jerzey said:

There's no way they could have have us worse than Colorado, Vegas, Vancouver, or Detroit before Zajac went down. We didn't lose anyone of significance and none of them got much better in the offseason.

Futures lines don't reflect Vegas's evaluation of talent so much as they represent Vegas's evaluation of the betting market.  I don't think there's a lot of Devils fans putting down bets on them to win the Stanley Cup most years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Futures lines don't reflect Vegas's evaluation of talent so much as they represent Vegas's evaluation of the betting market.  I don't think there's a lot of Devils fans putting down bets on them to win the Stanley Cup most years.

But they certainly have to look into injuries and starting line ups before making their odds or they aren't even trying. Losing one of their oldest players and starting center had to be a factor. I had us finishing pretty much same as last year, bottom 5. Now I say bottom 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

the scary thing about this thread is the amount of you who think us finishing last isn't an actual, real proability

It's certainly possible - and it was possible the two years before this as well - but it is nowhere close to even money.  Vegas isn't even money either but I think betting on them at 3 to 1 is going to win you money.  Most of their best players are UFA soon and they will almost certainly be dealt at the deadline, and Vegas doesn't have years of minor league depth - they have the detritus they've signed this off-season.

48 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

But they certainly have to look into injuries and starting line ups before making their odds or they aren't even trying. Losing one of their oldest players and starting center had to be a factor. I had us finishing pretty much same as last year, bottom 5. Now I say bottom 3.

The bet isn't whether the Devils will make the playoffs or whether they will finish last, it's whether they will win the Stanley Cup.  Zajac being out for half the year doesn't affect that a ton because A: he'll be back for half the year and B:  more importantly, he'll be back for the potential playoffs.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

It's certainly possible - and it was possible the two years before this as well - but it is nowhere close to even money.  Vegas isn't even money either but I think betting on them at 3 to 1 is going to win you money.  Most of their best players are UFA soon and they will almost certainly be dealt at the deadline, and Vegas doesn't have years of minor league depth - they have the detritus they've signed this off-season.

The bet isn't whether the Devils will make the playoffs or whether they will finish last, it's whether they will win the Stanley Cup.  Zajac being out for half the year doesn't affect that a ton because A: he'll be back for half the year and B:  more importantly, he'll be back for the potential playoffs.  

 

And C: there's no way it was happening anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.