Zajac... OUT 4-6 Months

Beezer34

Wow - that is a blow for sure.

Honestly - the person this affects the most is McLeod. There was going to be a center log jam and he seemed like the odd man out. Now, not so much. It's also gonna ask a lot of Nico off the hop. With that said, I would bet they give Zacha 1C to start.

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri

Henrique-Nico-Johansson

Quenville-McLeod-Speers

Wood-Boyle-Noeson

18 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Wow - that is a blow for sure.

Honestly - the person this affects the most is McLeod. There was going to be a center log jam and he seemed like the odd man out. Now, not so much. It's also gonna ask a lot of Nico off the hop. With that said, I would bet they give Zacha 1C to start.

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri

Henrique-Nico-Johansson

Quenville-McLeod-Speers

Wood-Boyle-Noeson

I love these lines but you and I know that Henrique is going to be at center on one of the top two lines, for at least 4 to 6 more months.

26 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

I love these lines but you and I know that Henrique is going to be at center on one of the top two lines, for at least 4 to 6 more months.

I think it's clear that Henrique should be on the wing, but I don't think it'd be the worst thing for him to be at C if Nico isn't ready for Top 6 minutes out of camp. 

I guess this guarantees Nico plays with Hall. I didnt want to put Nico into the buzzsaw too early but I can't stomach the thought of watching Henrique ruin Hall's offense because he is poor at reading the play. This all but guarantees McLeod will start the season in NJ and if Zajac comes back before the 40ish (someone help me out with the exact number please) games, NJ can sent him back to juniors and possibly the WJC, without burning a UFA year. 

Anyway, not much to say other than this sucks royally for our 17-18 chances, not that they were high to begin with. Zajac is such a damn good player and I think we all take for granted his 40-50 points with elite defense. It's been pretty impressive how he's been able to fit in with all of NJ's top wingers from Parise to Jagr to Hall. Speaks volumes about how smart of a player he is. 

If NJ can bag a top dman like Dahlin, McIssac, Hughes, Ryan Merkley or even another franchise forward like Svechnikov, this really may be a blessing in disguise.

• Like 2

Big loss.  No other way to put it.  As much as I hate feeling this way, it looks like we're in for a long year.  Hope the kids can make progress as the season unfolds.

• Sad 1

None of us were expecting that much even with Zajac.  But maybe there's something to be said for the excitement that comes with having a lot of promising rookies or second year players, and a new addition like Johanssen.

And as Mantzas mentioned, even if we don't win the lottery we should be in a position to draft a great defenseman.  

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Why on earth would this make sense? McLeod absolutely tore it up last year. The kid is NHL-ready, moreso than Hischier if you ask me.

Eh, he didn't really tear it up.  He had a great playoffs, and a good but not spectacular regular season.  He also had some very good teammates, unlike Nico.

By comparison, Dylan Strome in his D+1 year tore it up, but ultimately got sent back to junior.  

But still, I don't see what McLeod really has to learn in junior at this point, and I think the team is probably better off in the short and long term if he's on the team, so long as he's actually ready.

Edited by Daniel

12 hours ago, Daniel said:

None of us were expecting that much even with Zajac.  But maybe there's something to be said for the excitement that comes with having a lot of promising rookies or second year players, and a new addition like Johanssen.

And as Mantzas mentioned, even if we don't win the lottery we should be in a position to draft a great defenseman.  

It's always nice to have an experienced and solid vet like Zajac around, who's not only a smart player, but also knows about ups and downs.  Even with low team expectations, it sucks that he won't be around for so long.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but can't Marcus Johansson play center as well?

I don't really know about that, but even if he can, I think we're actually thinner at RW than we are C.  Maybe not from a veteran standpoint, but a skilled one for sure.  I mean, what other RWs do we have that you'd feel comfortable with, outside of Palmieri?  I'd just as soon throw Blandisi out there, but I know not many are high on him.