NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

On 9/19/2017 at 10:21 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

Henriqued has taken over Squirtle Squad, Pacific Devil has taken over Eat Another Donut and an invite was sent to devlman for DirtyMike, with any luck all spots will be filled today or tomorrow.

devlman was obviously confirmed as the 14th team...would be nice if they posted here tho :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

As of now my keepers are:

Segrei Bobrovsky (22.7 avg pick - mid 2nd)
Sebastian Aho (93.4 - mid 7th)
Oscar Klefbom (107.7 - mid 8th)

Making available of note Ryan Suter (83.3 late 6th) and Tyler Toffoli (129.1 early 9th but with a ton of upside).   I am open to trading Bobrovsky pre-draft, but I can't let that value get thrown out.   

Looking at some rosters, they could be use to some without sacrificing a valuable keeper slot in-house.   

This message was on the Yahoo NJ Devs Site today...

Your commissioner has set Saturday, September 30, 2017, as your league's deadline for declaring your keepers. You can make and edit your selections until 11:59pm PT on Friday, September 29, 2017.

So keepers need to be in by midnight tonight!!

2 hours ago, redruM said:

This message was on the Yahoo NJ Devs Site today...

Your commissioner has set Saturday, September 30, 2017, as your league's deadline for declaring your keepers. You can make and edit your selections until 11:59pm PT on Friday, September 29, 2017.

So keepers need to be in by midnight tonight!!

2:59a  :)

Geez, hope he gets online like now or in the next hour to change his keeper or it'll be a bit messy tomorrow :P

If for some reason he can't keep Suter or I can't put him among the keepers tomorrow I'll have to reverse the draft picks back.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Wolverines and One More Tank failed to select keepers so they'll be autoassigned the top three Yahoo! ranked players on their roster.

Everyone's keepers have now been added to draft picks, if you want to see who everyone else kept, go to the last three rounds of draft results or league rosters. 

It'll be interesting to see the impact of traded picks on the draft this year and how teams with extra early picks draft/perform.  I had wanted to replace my 8th rounder in a pre-draft trade but was too lazy to try (really part of me would rather just take this whole shabang to ESPN cause you can do offseason/predraft stuff a lot easier there), and my middle rounds last year were a disaster anyway - my top and bottom drafting was much better.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Thanks Hasan for all your work with setting this up.

This year I don't have a 6th round which sucks; but I do finish three rounds early (top of the 17th); with double picks in 10, 13, 14 which should really help out with some solid depth

Just to clarify for myself: only players drafted 5th rd and later are eligible to be kept for the next season, correct? Can the same players be kept season after season, then? Or, is it 'reset' every year? (I.e, can I keep Pastrnak for as long as I want since he was drafted fifth round and later last season)? Thanks

It’s a consideration with potential vs longegivity.    It’s why I chose to keep Klefbom over Suter.       I think this is the year he really breaks out...  while Suter is still good, but is ten years older.

The 6th round has been weird these past few years as that’s where you get the youth keeper drive...  and like real hockey, there are a lot of serviceable veterans in their decline available as the draft goes on.

And of course like always most young players are hit or miss and even if you pick one in the sixth round, sometimes they're not kept.  

Last year's sixth round for example...Auston Mathews was the first pick in the sixth round and rightly so.  He wouldn't have gotten picked earlier in a standard draft since nobody took him in the first five rounds (same thing with Eichel a couple years back...someone jumped for McDavid his rookie year and picked him in the first five rounds so he's never going to be a keeper consideration).  Great pick.  Laine was an outstanding get at R6-P5.  Sam Reinhart was okay at R6-P4 but ultimately not kept.  Pulujarvi wasn't kept at R6-P9.  Murray was a great pick by red at R6-P13.  Of course I was just fine with my win-now pick of Hornqvist at R6-P6 too (and Faulk at R6-P11 who I eventually flipped with another pick for Doughty and a lower pick) :)

2016 FHL Draft

I definitely expect Nico and even Patrick to go high in the sixth round this year...if someone doesn't OCD and take either before then as a one-year option :P  Theoretically I could have opted to draft last in the first round, ensuring myself first potential keeper selection in the sixth, but I like drafting first (and getting either the value of a top player and/or a trade) and taking that double pick better, also getting the third/fifth/seventh/etc player before anyone else.  Plus I liked my keepers atm anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well I guess we should have guessed Nico would go early to 'Nicoise salad'?  At least nobody else gets to roster him as a keeper unless he gets drafted under the 5th round next year :P  

Thankfully the draft didn't lag too long - 2 hours seemed a good balance between pace and procrastination.  And ironically the extra 15 seconds on the clock saved me from drafting Kunitz instead of de Haan when I was having computer issues lol (I'd set my queue for a few LW then a few D but didn't want to draft both LW I'd queued at that point).  Hard to rate myself, don't think I'm dominant in any one area but think I'm at least competitive in all of them which is generally my goal in roto.

Goalie - By the time it got to me late in the fourth there wasn't much left I wanted to draft between keepers and early picks so I just jumped on Andersen.  Cory went a few rounds later, fine - hopefully he bounces back this year but I still want to see him and the D play better when it matters lol.  Darling going as late as he did annoyed me a little but honestly I wanted a bit more of a sure thing in goal in terms of W and GP anyway and didn't want to risk getting left without a chair for a second goalie since I'm not sure Allen can keep up what he did in the second half last year with all the injuries the Blues have.

Defense - Went older early and young late (counting Werenski as my keeper), hopefully deHaan breaks out, that could turn my unit from solid to upper echelon.  May well second-guess myself picking Green over Gudas if I wind up coming short in the peripherals but didn't want to come up too short offensively either since once you draft early you don't get too many top-level forwards at the turn and was worried I was overdoing it drafting more peripherals than scoring.

Forwards - My main self-critique is I'm too old at RW and atm too thin at LW, but I do think Spezza will bounce back and playing C this year gives him added value, while Backes was my most contreversial pick and probably one I don't make if I didn't have him on my team the second half last year.  Think I'm generally balanced enough at forward, was surprised Henrik (Sedin) went so late, despite the obvious handicap of being on a bad team - but he was on a bad team two years ago and his plus/minus was fine.  I tried not to worry about plus/minus at all cause that usually gets me into trouble.

Draft chat was active enough but there seemed to be too many autodrafts (or people that just weren't talking), wish we could have gotten more attendance.

Edited by NJDevs4978