NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

I drafted and dropped Hank - still trying to figure out some of the roto stuff as I usually play H2H league so for some reason wasn't sure if I need two big-time goalies since we get 82 games game total, of course probably mistake just trying a few different things

5 hours ago, PacificDevil said:

And yes I wouldn't have drafted Nico that early in the H2H league either where C position is very very deep, so just experimenting for fun and by the way thanks for having me :)

Honestly I think the assumption was it was a Nico block...  he was surely going in the 6th round (start of the keepers).

edit: Opps, I thought you grabbed him end of 5th, not end of 4th.     I think Nico would have made it to you in the 5th, but not into the 6th

5 hours ago, PacificDevil said:

I drafted and dropped Hank - still trying to figure out some of the roto stuff as I usually play H2H league so for some reason wasn't sure if I need two big-time goalies since we get 82 games game total, of course probably mistake just trying a few different things

The big mistake there was  you could have gotten some value back for Lundqvist.   Could have gotten a nice upgrade elsewhere or a good pick swap etc     Maybe both 

Edited by aylbert

• 4 weeks later...

A general reminder not to go too far over game limits since everyone only gets 82 games per starting position.  There's a chart on the lower left hand of your roster to gauge approximately how far you're going over your game limits (+15 means you're about 15 GP higher than average atm).  It's hard to gauge how good the top two teams are since they're going so far above game limits.

It's early but it's starting to look like a long-overdue off year for me and my popgun offense.  Too many underachievers atm, Wennberg's taken a big step back, I was all in on Tyler Johnson in this and my new dynasty league and he's busted, Spezza I was hoping would be this year's Eric Staal but he's busted, Henrik Sedin fell down an elevator shaft since they're using him like a fourth-line center now, Backes has had a freak injury issue and now is out half the year, Nino was hurt, Freddie's been a disaster as my #2 goalie (although I have managed to avoid a lot of his hideous games to this point).  Seems harder this year than in the past to find viable contributors in FA though I'm sure I've missed on a couple.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It’s worthwhile to examine rosters and make adjustments as we near the quarter poll; but still plenty of time for slumps to break, hot steaks to fizzle, and for free agents to emerge (although in this league it’s harder to find them given how deep we are)

I’m enjoying the basement for now; I’m optimistic still though 

On 10/1/2017 at 11:44 PM, aylbert said:

Goalies:  Bob and Elliott should serve me well.    I doubt Bob posts back to back Vezina seasons; but they should be serviceable enough to keep me competitive.   I was going to pick up Darling too if he made it back to me

I wound up getting Darling after he was dropped.   I need to manage them better, but I’m happy with my goaltending  

Defense: Subban, Ekblad and Klefbom as my top three; I'm really happy with.   I slacked on D after that and was left with Orlov, Girardi and DeAngelo as my bottom three...  not too happy with that.   I was planning on drafting Gudas or one of the slew of d-men that went when I accidentally drafted Namestnikov.    It was late enough that it's fine; but yea...   would have preferred a better d-man in that bottom 3.   Push one to the bench, etc.

I’m not very happy with my defense, but I’ll be patient.   Klefbom is struggling but seems to be finding himself.    I’m happy I drafted Namestnikov over Gudas on accident, in a way.   I wanted Namestnikov the next round hence why I was adding him to  my queue when it switched to “draft”...   but I think he might have made it back to me while I’d have a better defensemen.  Giradi and DeAngelo are long off my team.

Forwards: It's going go one way or the other...    Barring injury, McDavid will be the stud of the team obviously.     I'm sold that Johnny Gaudreau is a star player and will post point+ a game numbers.  I have a lot riding on Huberdeau and Horvat stepping it up this year... and that Shipachyov can transition to NHL smoothly from the KHL.   It will be really nice if Keller can post the Calder worthy numbers that many have been hyping.  We'll see.

I’m happy with McDavid; he will post stronger numbers; but he isn’t doing horrible now either.

Im very happy with selecting Gaudreau (7g, 17a, 24p, +4) over Forsberg (9g, 8a, 17p, -1); even though I took some sh!t in chat at the time.

Huberdeau I’m also very happy with; Horvat I’m still hoping for more.   Shipachyov got shafted and in turn shafted me, but that’s the gamble on Russian hockey players.     And Keller is looking like a terrific keeper candidate.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:26 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

In the end after picks the trade with ayl wound up being Kane, Andersen, Nino and Green for McDavid, Radulov, Horvat and Namestinkov (auto). I'd hope I'd like my side better given I picked above him the last three times but we'll see.

Kane (6g, 11a, 17p, -3), Anderson (10 wins, 3.25gaa,  .901sv%, 1sho), Niderrreiter (3g, 3a, 6p, +3), Green (1g, 13a, 14p, +4)

McDavid (9g, 13a, 22p, +6), Radulov (6g, 11a, 17p, -3), Horvat (7g, 7a, 14p, +4), Namestinkov (9g, 10a, 19p, +8)

So I won McDavid>Kane...  which was the expected result.       Anderson isn’t spectacular but posting wins...  Radulov is decent here, but I’ll give a push here.  Horvat is clearly outperforming Nino. and Green is a better value than Namestinkov - but both of us are happy with the value pulled there.

Ultimately, as of now, I think I’m ahead in the trade.  And again, not trede related...  but I had the advantage with Gaudreau over Forsberg.    I’m not sure if Njd4978 would have drafted someone else in the second if so traded that pick as originally it was slated. 

Still plenty of season to go though!

Edited by aylbert

Nino was out for a few weeks, that's why his numbers are down.

Yeah McDavid slightly over Kane's expected from a scoring standpoint but ultimately I did the deal cause I'd rather have a high scoring winger than a high scoring center with mediocre faceoff totals (I would have even considered Crosby at #1 tbh because of it) and figure out center later.  I just haven't been as good at my mid-center round drafting as I was last year or most other years.  Don't really think the trade had a huge impact on me, seems I'm headed for a rare off year either way.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Eh it doesn't seem active since people don't generally comment in the thread and there haven't been a lot of trades yet - there never usually are early - but every team except Clown has had a league activity (setting lineup, etc) in the last three days and every team's at or above five moves made on the season.  Most seasons there are a handful of teams that barely or don't get to five moves for the entire season.

And it's early but it looks like there's gonna be a lot of parity this year since the top two teams are still a bit above their game limits (particularly the first place team).

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 minutes ago, PacificDevil said:

So what are you supposed to do if you’re projected for more forward mangames than total allowed, not start all active players or look for specific “unfavorable” team matchups and bench players from that team?

Since it's still early in the season I wouldn't panic, just play your top guys without subbing anyone in from the bench (just play enough to fit in all your active spots) and maybe injury/suspensions/whatever to those players will take care of your surplus. If it gets later in the season and you still have a big surplus just start your best three forwards or five D, whatever and leave the last C/W/D spot vacated.

I do like that you threw down the gauntlet with your trade (although slightly puzzled you also threw in a defensive downgrade), I was amazed Stamkos had those numbers tbh

Edited by NJDevs4978

31 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Since it's still early in the season I wouldn't panic, just play your top guys without subbing anyone in from the bench (just play enough to fit in all your active spots) and maybe injury/suspensions/whatever to those players will take care of your surplus. If it gets later in the season and you still have a big surplus just start your best three forwards or five D, whatever and leave the last C/W/D spot vacated.

I do like that you threw down the gauntlet with your trade (although slightly puzzled you also threw in a defensive downgrade), I was amazed Stamkos had those numbers tbh

Ok, thanks for explaining. Trade seemed even/fair to me - fantasy hockey to me is more for fun than anything so basically even trade should be fun 

I don’t like the trade as a GM (it’s fine as a trade); it’s too early to give up the season by tossing Stamkos out for a first rounder next season.  

44 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

(although slightly puzzled you also threw in a defensive downgrade)

Nico isn’t keeper eligible, so I figure that’s why he had to give up Ghost too...  

• Like 1

Yeah I wouldn't have cashed out before Thanksgiving either (my very first season doing this I was 19th in a 20 team league like a quarter way through the season then after I got the hang of it and made some good trades I roared back and won the league going away), then again you're not likely getting a first rounder for a half season or less of any player later on. 

The funny part is if Nicoise does win the league they'll be picking where someone else's drafting in the first round with their second round selection.  And if they don't win the league the other team could be lucking into a really high pick in the first round via the lottery.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I just need to let Bob stay in ne and not worry about goalie games played...  every time I play someone else it messes it up later (like I inadvertently played Elliott tonight instead of Bob) and lost a vital shutout.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been carrying three goalies for a long time, mainly because I've been waiting for either Bishop or Rask to get his sh!t together.

I could probably part ways with either.  Need a hits/blocks guy, on D preferably.

Preferably Rask, cost of Bishop is higher.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1