NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

Should be an interesting finish.  I think Nicoise Salad will drop once everyone catches up to them (currently +/- 100 more games played than #2) but if Zamboni Warriors stays healthy I don't see how how they don't have this wrapped up.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I want to break into the top 3...   I’m back at 4 right now.   Last time I climbed to 4, I took a hard dip down...   hopefully I can maintain and build.   I have some more points to collect, but in some of the categories I’m not going to make enough progress.

Digging through, I can’t find our keeper rules aside from after round 5 or free agent.    Holtby was drafted high, but has stunk it up of late and wound up dropped.

I acquired him as a free agent.   Is he keeper eligible if I want to take a flyer on him next season?

I believe if a player hits free agency, he's a keeper-eligible player.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Who the hell dropped Holtby?

Edit: I am wrong! And holding on to a couple players for no reason lol

Edited by Devilsfan118

3 hours ago, aylbert said:

Digging through, I can’t find our keeper rules aside from after round 5 or free agent.    Holtby was drafted high, but has stunk it up of late and wound up dropped.

I acquired him as a free agent.   Is he keeper eligible if I want to take a flyer on him next season?

No it’s only where he was drafted, him being dropped to FA doesn’t add keeper eligibility. The top five rounds (70 players) are ineligible to be kept whether dropped or not, everyone else is fair game including keeper players from last season that get dropped.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Thanks- I’m fine with that.

I grabbed him for some spot play with Murray still not playing.    Like Schneider, I’m sure Holtby will get out of his funk.

Im not that invested and was only thinking about a trade bait tbh, but Id argue that dropping him makes him a free agent eligible to be kept...  provided he was dropped in competitive good faith (ie not liking his performance and rather use the roster spot elsewhere     As opposed to just dropping because season is lost)...       but like I’m said I’m fine with it.     I have use for him now for a few games.

I also waited to ask to not bring attention to him.

Roster moves are also tricky late in the season when guys don't get put on IR and you only have four bench slots - obviously that didn't apply with Holtby since he's been healthy (supposedly) but still I'd rather not force people to keep injured/underperforming players late in the season or force teams out of it to keep players who have no keeper value for them and not let them pick up ones who theoretically could have that value, just to prevent someone else from vulturing a keeper that was never one to start with.

Incidentally that's why the Peyton Manning rule exists in the other league, because it came down to it wasn't fair to have one team eat a roster spot on an injured player who wasn't going on IR and another team get a keeper benefit from that team cutting him that the team holding onto him wasn't getting.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I believe if a player hits free agency, he's a keeper-eligible player.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Who the hell dropped Holtby?

Edit: I am wrong! And holding on to a couple players for no reason lol

Yeah I thought it was weird you picked up Weber lol, figured you didn't realize he was done for the year.  I obviously wasn't going to drop him if someone else could get keeper value on him, I could just stash him on IR at that point if it was the case as a preventitive measure but like I said above it's not fair if the guy doesn't get put on IR later on to have to burn a roster spot on him.  I shed all my non-keeper players already - Kane, Forsberg, Andersen and Schenn in trades, cutting Weber after he was declared out for good.

Plus one other selfish reason non-keeper players don't become keepers after being cut, because it makes it that much harder to clean up rosters when other teams don't cut their ineligibles by the end of the year.  Not only would I have to look up 70 players and where they currently are to manually drop them one at a time (Yahoo won't let me do it en masse), then I have to note where they were drafted as well and if they're on a different team I'd have to look up if they were traded there or released there.  Too much trouble for something that shouldn't be on the books anyway.

OTOH guys who already were keepers (denoted with a K by their name) that get released still retain keeper value for their new team until they aren't kept and get released back into the draft.

Edited by NJDevs4978

is it me or is Yahoo extremely slow in moving player to the IR right now?  I have 2 players that are out for at least 4 weeks probably more. I would love to pick up players to fill the voids but I cannot as long as Yahoo does not put the IR tag on, it think its been over a week already...

It’s not really Yahoo, NHL teams don’t usually put players on IR after the trade deadline (unless they’re cap crunched) because of having unlimited rosters.  If players don’t go on IR in real life Yahoo can’t do it here. I think you can jiggle the settings to have ‘out’ players also get an IR designation (only realized this in the fall with the football league) but don’t want to do it now midseason.

It's my favorite time of year;  just like actual hockey...
It will be really interesting to see how this plays out at the top.  I'm still kinda in no-mans land at #4; with the top 3 grouped together so tightly - but I'm not out of reach by any means.

And now we wait for Nicoise Salad to drop with his/her two strongest positions out of games.  I don't think anyone's catching them in A's or P's, but a ton of the secondary stats are within reach for a lot of people.

I'm going to need help to catch Zamboni Warriors - or maybe even to stay at #2/#3 - but I think it should be a very interesting finish.

Edited by Devilsfan118

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of dropping non-keeper players now, can't stop pending waivers but any waiver pickups after this will be invalid since they wouldn't go into effect till after the season ends (tomorrow).  I can't drop guys like P.K. Subban until the 'pending transaction' (presuming a waiver claim) gets canceled.

Edited by NJDevs4978

All keeper ineligibles have been dropped, with just one lousy game left I pretty much consider this season over now.  Congrats to the Zamboni Warriors on their second title in four years!  And with MacKinnon and Mathews as keeper-eligible they'll continue to be a force to be reckoned with going forward I'm sure.  Yet this season also proved there's a lot of parity as none of last season's top three were in it this year.

As per our rule change everyone'll get to pick their draft slot next year but of course having won the league Zamboni gets the first choice.

Current draft slot pick order - mostly for my own notes when I have to bug you all to pick your slot next year (final update tomorrow when the league's done):

1. Zamboni Warriors (krunko7)

2. Zajac-ing Off (Devilsfan118)

3. Sworn Defenders  (aylbert)

4. Nicoise Salad (Pacific Devil)

5. Eaglejelly (ditto)

6. Palm on and SLAM (Ralliart90)

7. New Jersey Swamps (me)

8. Hard Dump (devlman)

9. Dynamo Nation (redruM)

10. NJDefenders (NJDEVS1730)

11. Wolverines (DevilMinder)

12. Squirtle Squad (Henriqued)

13. NeoThrashers (MantaRay)

14. One More Tank (LOTCB)

• Like 1

So did my transaction for Trochek go through? I believe he’s another keeper eligible player but I can’t see tomorrow’s roster (transaction was supposed to go through this morning)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think waiver claims and pickups 'should' be same-day eligible before gametime going forward, I just didn't realize it could be changed till today, thought that was a stupid universal Yahoo setting but for this season claims and pickups aren't eligible till the following day.  I don't even get why Manta dropped him to begin with, it's not like he's got three better keeper eligibles than Trocheck (and even if he did he could have just kept him for a preseason trade) :rant:

EDIT: On second thought I'm gonna have to overturn the Trocheck claim (and the other two as well) since they weren't picked up for any games this season, it's not right to allow that if I'm not allowing other pickups today and considering none are eligible to be on an active roster any day this season.  All keeper-eligible players dropped in those claims were restored to their teams.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

So now you reversed the transactions that went through today for tomorrow’s roster...? Any reason why?

Just saw your update. I’ll respectfully disagree with it considering I put a claim in for him 2 days ago but this is something we can discuss going forward.

Congrats Zamboni, ya bastard.

Second, why the hell were Trocheck and Boeser dropped?  I'm happy that stuff was reversed - personally I don't know why people started dropping players before the end of the season.  Leave the roster cleaning to the offseason imo, don't start messing around now.  But some of you guys gotta start thinking about keeper eligibility and giving away free assets to people.

I put claims in on some of these guys, full disclosure, but in the interest of keeping things fair I'm glad a lot of these transactions were reversed.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Boeser being dropped was weird too, I remember losing out on a waiver claim for him.  I did get Perron, who was also a ridiculous drop with 65 points.  Those weren't reversed because it was before the end of the season.  It was only the guys who weren't rostered by last night (and ineligible today) that got reversed.  And those players are still dropped, they didn't get restored back to their teams since they were cut before the roster lock deadline so Trocheck's in the draft next year.  Only the ones that got cut for the ineligible waiver claims got put back on their teams.

You're right though, there was a lot of unneccesary drops of keeper assets.  If nothing else than they should be kept from other teams.  And again like 85% of keeper INeligibles weren't dropped before rosters locked, you would think that would get done from all the teams that weren't in it Friday or yesterday just to take on what the hell younger/role guys.  Then again even I forgot Guentzel wasn't keeper eligible and had to drop him.

Edited by NJDevs4978

18 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Leave the roster cleaning to the offseason imo, don't start messing around now.  But some of you guys gotta start thinking about keeper eligibility and giving away free assets to people.

Well you can't 'clean' the roster in the offseason until preseason trading gets opened up since all roster add/drops are locked at the end of the season (today).  But there's not a real reason to drop some of the guys that were dropped either.  Keeper ineligibles like Kopitar are one thing but not this stuff.

Edited by NJDevs4978

35 minutes ago, krunko7 said:

Another settings question I have, can we get rid of the can’t cut list? Is it needed?

I think I just did change it, hadn't really looked into it till now cause generally guys aren't gonna drop top players unless they're hurt (and then they can just be IR'ed for the most part) but it probably is a pain in the butt if you're trying to drop keeper ineligibles late.

Edited by NJDevs4978