NJDevs4978

NJDevs '17-18 Fantasy Hockey

And part 2:  Sworn Defenders trade Vladislav Namestnikov and Scott Darling to Dynamo Nation for Matt Duchene and Matt Murray.

Edited by aylbert
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Two parts...you guys just bored or trying to run up your trade counter?

Just trying to spice things up a bit...

I was gunning for another goalie but the price was higher...   I decided to go this route.

So I'm trying something new this year - I've found myself with three decent (well, one good and two starting to recover) goalies that I'm playing pretty regularly.

At this rate, I'll be out of games by... mid-January?  Maybe February?  

So in a pretty short time I'll have three great goalies up for grabs folks.

On 12/23/2017 at 11:26 AM, DevilMinder said:

So many keepers out on IR or DTD.

It’s actually worse to have non keepers on IR lol...Forsberg out 4-6 weeks, Weber through the All-Star break at least. Definitely time to sell though I’d probably have to sell those two closer to the deadline, for now Kane, Schenn and basically anyone else is OTB for draft choices or better keepers.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Definitely time to sell though I’d probably have to sell those two closer to the deadline, for now Kane, Schenn and basically anyone else is OTB for draft choices or better keepers.

Hmmm...  I’m four points BEHIND you and I’m looking to buy.   Maybe I don’t know when to quit?

26 minutes ago, aylbert said:

Hmmm...  I’m four points BEHIND you and I’m looking to buy.   Maybe I don’t know when to quit?

You have a healthyish roster with only Horvat and Boychuk (a role player) out.  I have Forsberg, Wennberg (who was dissapointing anyway) and Weber out for at least a month and a half each and it's not like my offense was that great to begin with.  Most of my numbers are in the ancilary categories and goaltending. 

My go with as many of last year's guys as I could get (especially Wennberg and trading for Foligno) part of my strategy didn't work this time though at least Backes has justified that 'contreversial' pick after coming back from his surgery.

Edited by NJDevs4978

a month ago I was buying, now I think it might be time to sell....  I'm glad I got Bobs, but my offense has really tanked...

I think Zamboni Warriors has this all but wrapped up if his team stays healthy.

Only guy in the top-4 well under his game limits, goaltending his only weakness.  

Hell I might have to ship him one of my goalies.

You're a little over your game limits but nothing you can't finesse down over three months with guys missing games here and there.  Plus sometimes you reach a point in February and March where you can't make up games with quality skaters if you're behind cause more guys go on IR and eventually don't get placed on IR at all.  I'd rather have a few extra games in the bank for March and April just in case.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Hopefully this trade with Hard Dump spices up the race a little, obviously anything else is available off my team but it’d have to be a huge offer to deal Werenski since I retain keeper rights. Would be more willing to deal Shea Theodore (among others) who is also keeper eligible and can help win now teams.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Do you guys uae Yahoo? I'm about to lose all of the goalie categories because of not reaching the minimum appearances through the bye week. I can't be expected to pull my roster apart to add a starting goalie (which may not be available at all on waivers, it's a deep league) just to hit the minimum starts during this weird spot in the schedule. Yahoo should've adjusted for this. 

Fck me, I didn't set my Saturday lineup in time and the one eligible guy not starting, Barzal, just dropped 5 points today :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Do you guys uae Yahoo? I'm about to lose all of the goalie categories because of not reaching the minimum appearances through the bye week. I can't be expected to pull my roster apart to add a starting goalie (which may not be available at all on waivers, it's a deep league) just to hit the minimum starts during this weird spot in the schedule. Yahoo should've adjusted for this. 

Your LM should have adjusted for that.

And yes it’s a Yahoo league but we only have game maxes over a season, it’s not a weekly league

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Your LM should have adjusted for that.

And yes it’s a Yahoo league but we only have game maxes over a season, it’s not a weekly league

I'm the commissioner, I don't think I can adjust rules like minimum goalie appearances week by week.

Gonna enjoy being in first while I can, don't suspect it'll last long though.

Been trying to work some trades, but it's tough. Have a goalie or two to offload.

12 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I'm the commissioner, I don't think I can adjust rules like minimum goalie appearances week by week.

Not in-season but I'm sure it could have been adjusted before the draft - then again like I said I don't play Yahoo weekly (I do play weekly in a deep dynasty Fantrax league but there the commish only has a max on goalie appearances per week because it's points scoring).  I set 82-game limits for each position here.

Edited by NJDevs4978

So.. dumb question about player rankings.

I was just looking over my team, and noticed that Jeff Skinner is ranked a staggeringly bad 403 for the season as of this posting.

Yet I'm looking at his stats, and they're not... terrible.  Is it the -20 that pushes his ranking so far down?  I'm looking at players ranked around him and they're legit terrible.

The season rank tries to identify the most well rounded player even with the auxiliary stats we count like hits/blocks etc         So Skinner is putting up some points,   But +\- sucks and isn’t doing much on the power play or doing a lot of hitting/blocking.

Edited by aylbert

Makes sense, I bailed on him at this point though.  Wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a tear and burns me over it.

Sidebar: I'm learning how incredibly important the draft, free agency and waiver wire are in this league.  It is absolutely impossible to orchestrate an equal trade with most people here.

Also, if I can make a vague recommendation - we need to add some sort of incentive for finishing as high as possible in the final standings.  Because in the current format, if you're out of the top-3 by the mid-way point of the season, you might as well sell everything and stop trying.  

The fact that like 80% of the league are "sellers" by January kinda sucks imo.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

Well it is a bit unusual both in the number of have-not teams early this year (there's really only 3-4 competitive teams not counting the one that's blowing through all its games played by February), the distance between the top group and the next group and also the fact some of the more active players are among the have-nots.

I don't know what else can really be done in a roto league other than allowing every team to pick a draft slot inverse in where they finish which is a minimal gain at best.  The keeper/draft pick trades are a lot more incentive for bottom teams than anything I can think of to incentivize 2nd-5th place.  I don't really want to go to a weekly matchup league since that's ridiculously luck-based (and even more sketchy with the team byes en vogue now), I'd let someone else run it if it came to that.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I agree with all the above points.

Perhaps we can borrow from the football league, and do a draft pick selection draft.  Instead of a randomize order we follow first to last place finish from the prior year.

That diminishes the tangible benefit of winning...  but maybe we could adjust for that as well.  Maybe something crazy like keeping an extra player that’s from the rounds 3 or later...  but not keeper eligible?    Or some alternative to that.

But I agree this year it seems a lot of people gave up early because the picks being exchanged were too hard to pass up.    The draft pick trades are a good thing...  but there needs to be a counterweight to encourage parity over entrenching stratification or tiers of teams.

Edited by aylbert