NJDevs Fantasy Football 2017 Smack Talk

aylbert

• 3 weeks later...

Definite class of haves and have-nots this year with three whole games seperating the top seven from the bottom five.  It's theoretically possible an 8-5 team misses the postseason entirely.  But at least five of the six games this week do have some form of impact on the playoffs.  Technically only ayl's clinched a spot, but realistically based on record and points the 8-4's should make it as well, leaving the three 7-5's to fight it out for the last two spots.

Swamps (8-4) vs. LOTCB (3-9)  Current line: Swamps -27.37

The most straightforward scenario, win and Swamps almost certainly gets the second seed and bye since it'd take ayl just not setting a lineup for him to fall out of #1 even with a loss, while Swamps has more points than the other 8-4's by a healthy margin.  Lose and I likely would drop a spot or two assuming at least one of the other 8-4's wins and/or a 7-5 jumps me with enough points on a tiebreak.  Literally no chance I miss the playoffs at least even if Yahoo doesn't put the asterisk by my name, I'm gonna go out of my way and say there's no way the current #7 (Masked) gets 150 more points than my team this week to jump me so it's nice to be back in the postseason after a two-season absence.

Dynamo Nation (7-5) vs. aylbert (9-3)  Current line: Dynamo Nation -11.75  

Oddsmakers have dissed ayl's team all year yet here he is without Zeke with both the best record and highest scoring team in the league.  Next two weeks are about hoping nobody gets hurt for him.  For red it's win and in, lose and hope for a little help.  Theoretically red could go as high as #2 but that would require all three 8-4's losing and red scoring 33+ more points than Swamps this week, it's far more likely play on the first weekend or out.

Kick Shins and Run (8-4) vs. Power of Positivity (3-9)  Current line: Kick Shins -8.86

After being knocked out of the drivers' seat for the bye last week, VALUE needs a bounceback this week and the other pair of 8-4's to lose to get up to #2.  Or just a Swamps loss and getting 16+ more points than Manta to beat him on a tiebreak.  A playoff spot is all but certain though since even with a loss, Kick Shins would need the bottom three to all win (and Masked to score 62+ points than Kick Shins this week in the process) to be knocked out.

Goodell's Gestapo (7-5) vs. Big Blue (4-8)  Current line: Goodell's Gestapo -11.64

Squeezing out (and that is the right phrase) a win last week took the Gestapo off the griddle and into the driver's seat for a playoff spot.  Like with red, win and in.  Theoretically even CRASHER can move up to #2 but it'd require a spectacular chain of events (four teams losing and CRASHER bumping his season point total higher than red and me), so it's almost entirely about getting a game next weekend.  A loss and CRASHER would need a Manta win over Masked to eke out the final spot at 7-6 - or a red loss and getting another 12+ points scored for the week.

MantaRavens (8-4) vs. Masked Marauders (7-5)  Current line:  MantaRavens -2.84

The only game featuring two of the top seven, although it could wind up meaning very little unless Masked gets some help from either Big Blue or ayl, even a win won't be enough for Marauders to defend their title without one of the other 7-5's losing since he's too far behind in point totals to make up the tiebreaker.  For Manta, it's all about seeding since Masked would have to beat team Manta by 78 to put him in any danger of missing the playoffs with a loss.  Like Kick Shins, Manta needs a Swamps loss to have a shot at the bye.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Thanks 1

I'm betting we wind up looking like this:

1. Sworn  9-4 (losing to Dynamo)
2. Swamps 9-4 (defeating LOTCB)
3. Kick Shins 9-4 (defeating Positivity)
4. Dynamo 8-5 (defeating Sworn)
5. Gestapo 8-5 (defeating Big Blue)
6. Manta 8-5 (losing to Masked)
----------------------------------------
7. Masked 8-5 (defeating Manta)
8. Outlaws 5-8 (defeating Revis)
9. Big Blue 4-9 (losing to Gestapo)
10. Revis 4-9 (losing to Outlaws)
11. Positivity 3-10 (losing to Kick Shins)
12. LOTCB 3-10 (losing to Swamps)

I effectively have two weeks off provided I field a team this week.
I hope to field Aaron Rodgers in week 15; risky sure... but Big Ben has a tough Patriots match-up.
If I get to the finals, I'll field Zeke in addition.

And who knows; maybe Josh Gordon lotto ticket will pay off.  Not putting much stock in that.  But I have two weeks to observe.

lol I managed to blow the bye to a dead Clown team who had three DNP's in his lineup.  This is a Devils in Arizona type meltdown.

Good thing Manta jumped me and VALUE, now he gets to enjoy Gronk's suspension on the bye :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

I was worried all morning that I'd wind up making the wrong choice(s) at RB and sure enough...

Lynch 12.9 and Perine 7.2 in the lineup

Jamaal Williams 27.3 and Howard 28 on the bench

Of course how was I to know that both the Skins and Raiders would be blown out early while the Bears would blow out Cinci the week after sloughing through a loss to Robbie Gould?

Not to mention I wasn't smart enough to get Trey Burton and put him in instead of the Arizona TE with Gabbert throwing to him (though I was worried about the Rams' defense shutting down Burton anyway).  And still Yahoo has me at exactly 50-50 to win.  All up to Brady now, but they don't tend to do that well in Miami and no Gronk this week...

Edited by NJDevs4978

15 minutes ago, redruM said:

Complete turnaround from the last few playoffs for me, excluding last year I would ease into the playoffs and then bow out in 1st round... This year barely got in, and then went off in the 1st round... hope there is more of this to come...

Should be a good bout with Manta.

I’ll be watching Brady tonight to see who I get.

Meanwhile I might have some tough roster choices to make next week.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol guess this is a fitting end having Brady stick it to me the last couple weeks.  Too bad Watson had to get hurt :P

I completely went to bed last night without looking at the game thinking I had lost, then imagine my surprise when Golic and Wingo are talking about the Pats losing.  GG, came right down to the end which is how playoff games should be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

I completely went to bed last night without looking at the game thinking I had lost, then imagine my surprise when Golic and Wingo are talking about the Pats losing.  GG, came right down to the end which is how playoff games should be.

You’re a Fish fan and didn’t watch the game (or part of it)?! 

1 hour ago, CRASHER said:

.....and Brian's dedication to his work, and torturing himself with Raw paid off in spades, I should try that next week for my money league playoff games :lol:

Honestly my first year winning here during my wild-card run I didn't look at the scores (fantasy) here, and refused to pay attention to the crawl at the bottom of the screen during the Jets games, so I've done the superstitious thing before.  I would have been better off not checking last night which is what I was gonna do but when I saw how hideous the first half was going I knew my game was over at halftime :P

Me three.

Frankly, I’m a bit nervous as Freeman needs 32.11 to win the game (or put another way, just be the third best RB in this game behind Gurly’s 45.5 and Hunt’s 38.1); without Coleman to vulture TDs against a Bucs team letting RBs walk in.

If I’m Red, I just bench Sanu as an abundance of caution move.  100% chance to win benching him > 99.9999% chance to win while collecting vanity points 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

If Sanu gets a -10 we all have bigger problems than red losing to Manta, hell will have officially frozen over. If Sanu were an actual QB that’s one thing, but other than that I doubt any skill players ever get more than maybe a -3 or 4.

Agreed...   maybe make it  99.99999999%? :) (and that 'low' only because Sanu has launched a bomb to Julio Jones this season).  

lol.