Devils marketing to other teams' fans?

Daniel

According to this, the Devils are sending emails to other teams' fans to purchase tickets for Devils home games.

https://thehockeywriters.com/new-jersey-devils-marketing-opposing-fans/?utm_content=bufferc616b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Anyone know if this is true?  If so, it's an enormous embarrassment.  I've been pretty supportive of the new ownership and marketing, but you just can't do stuff like this in pro sports.  Vanderbeek had a ton of faults obviously, but I did like that he made a concerted effort to keep opposing fans out of the arena.

Really, season ticket holders should tell their reps that this is unacceptable.

It was talked about more on hfboards but I think it's fake. Also if you're going to write a big article condemning the team why not at least contact the team and get a comment? Maybe check to see if this is legit first? This is sh!t journalism at its finest.

Also the comments about Albany are garbage, the team didn't work there when Carolina was involved and it didn't work even though Albany actually made the playoffs in the recent years under the Devils. The owners owe nothing to Albany and it would be a stupid business move to keep the team there when they had the option with Binghamton.

The writer takes a shot at the city of Binghamton as well like Albany is really any nicer of a place to visit. Lol fvck outta here.

This comment is trash too "How long does it take for frustration to boil over after a loss where players start to comment on how “our own building felt like a road game”?"  These are professional paid athletes that make a sh!t ton of money. This should be the last thing they are using as an excuse when they lose a game.

"One wonders which “goal song” the club will play when the New York Rangers come to town." This hack can go fvck himself.

The too long didn't read version is I think the email is fake and I think the author of this article is a twat.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

I wrote for that website for a few months before giving up on it. Anyone can post anything and their "editors" will pretty much let it go. (They also let other writers take co-workers ideas/titles/tag lines but thats another argument.)

While there are some good people over there, this guy is clearly not and he fell for what looks like someone's twitter prank and ran with it.

Like SH said, why not reach to the team before publishing? Clickbait, sh!t stirrer bullsh!t writing at its finest.

• Like 1

Look real enough to me. And "oh well" is my response. Maybe if there were more fans in the seats, they wouldn't have to market like this (which a lot of pro sports teams do). We have done nothing for the last 10 years save for a fluke finals run, so we have nothing to complain about when the owners look for other ways to fill the arena. Get a better product on the ice and maybe we aren't having this conversation.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

There still hasn't been any other images of this pop up online. It's not real in my opinion. I've asked some family and friends of mine who are Rangers fans and have attended games at Prudential and they never received any email like this so far. 

I get more annoyed with our own fans sh!tting all over the organization for a prank that someone has pulled off very well. I'm rather sick of a good majority of our fans sh!tting on the organization and owners over everything they do. People even bitched and moaned about the awesome new scoreboard ffs. 

It's not even like I drink the kool aid, I've had plenty of issues with the organization and I'll gladly call out something if it's needed. I'm just sick of the attitudes of some of our "fans" I saw one moron who is going to the Las Vegas first game cause he doesn't wanna give any money to our owners in Newark. I need to stick to just this forum and hf boards cause I'm absolutely sick and tired of the constant negativity and bitching about every single thing. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

There still hasn't been any other images of this pop up online. It's not real in my opinion. I've asked some family and friends of mine who are Rangers fans and have attended games at Prudential and they never received any email like this so far. 

I get more annoyed with our own fans sh!tting all over the organization for a prank that someone has pulled off very well. I'm rather sick of a good majority of our fans sh!tting on the organization and owners over everything they do. People even bitched and moaned about the awesome new scoreboard ffs. 

It's not even like I drink the kool aid, I've had plenty of issues with the organization and I'll gladly call out something if it's needed. I'm just sick of the attitudes of some of our "fans" I saw one moron who is going to the Las Vegas first game cause he doesn't wanna give any money to our owners in Newark. I need to stick to just this forum and hf boards cause I'm absolutely sick and tired of the constant negativity and bitching about every single thing. 

The owners have occasionally been guilty of misreading this fanbase (and if not them, then the ones who are advising them), but overall I think they've been plenty solid, and most importantly, they TRY.  Unfortunately some fans insist on somehow making this current downturn in on-ice performance about the owners, which I don't get at all...this valley was inevitable no matter who owns the team. 

Yeah, there's a rather large swath of Devils fans that I'll never relate to.  It's funny, when I think of Flyer fans, I think violence.  When I think of Ranger fans, I think stupid.  When I think of Devils fans, I think ENTITLED.  Yankee fans tend to be THE most entitled fans that I encounter, and I get that to an extent, because that franchise has such a long history of winning, and pretty much never shies away from using their considerable resources to try to field a top-notch product.  But there's definitely a lot of entitled Devils fans who act like they're owed a perennially successful product, and can't be happy with anything ownership does.  They can be maddening to deal with.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4

There still hasn't been any other images of this pop up online. It's not real in my opinion. I've asked some family and friends of mine who are Rangers fans and have attended games at Prudential and they never received any email like this so far.  I get more annoyed with our own fans sh!tting all over the organization for a prank that someone has pulled off very well. I'm rather sick of a good majority of our fans sh!tting on the organization and owners over everything they do. People even bitched and moaned about the awesome new scoreboard ffs. 

I've had it too. The franchise is rebuilding. We had a run of success for 20 years that every damn franchise save Detroit envied. sh!t takes time. Shut the fvck up and learn how sh!t works. Now in regards to this supposed e-mail- yeah that sh!t better be fake news or I'll be pretty fvcking pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too believe this is fake.  I have only seen the one screenshot passed around and no one else seems to be able to confirm it's authenticity. 

A lot of these blogs provide marginal quality reporting on the Devils and this is no exception.  The fact that he didn't do proper research and just went with what he saw on social media shows the kind of reporter he is.  Also, according to his bio, he used to work as an intern for the Albany River Rats so it seems like he still has an axe to grind regarding the move to Binghamton.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The owners have occasionally been guilty of misreading this fanbase (and if not them, then the ones who are advising them), but overall I think they've been plenty solid, and most importantly, they TRY.  Unfortunately some fans insist on somehow making this current downturn in on-ice performance about the owners, which I don't get at all...this valley was inevitable no matter who owns the team. 

Yeah, there's a rather large swath of Devils fans that I'll never relate to.  It's funny, when I think of Flyer fans, I think violence.  When I think of Ranger fans, I think stupid.  When I think of Devils fans, I think ENTITLED.  Yankee fans tend to be THE most entitled fans that I encounter, and I get that to an extent, because that franchise has such a long history of winning, and pretty much never shies away from using their considerable resources to try to field a top-notch product.  But there's definitely a lot of entitled Devils fans who act like they're owed a perennially successful product, and can't be happy with anything ownership does.  They can be maddening to deal with.

Totally agree with both Satans Hockey and this.  I too saw the Devils fans bitch about the new scoreboard.  Some even ridiculously suggested that ticket prices will now go up to pay for it.  Compared to players salaries I can imagine this scoreboard is a drop in the bucket.

100% agree it is entitlement mixed in with inferiority complex.  My best friend and his brother are huge Yankees fans and are just getting into hockey as Devils fans (they became Devils STH about 1-2 years ago).  Even they tell me they notice that Devils fans talk more about the Rangers than Yankees fans talk about the Red Sox.  I also hate how every April the Devils FB groups basically turn into Anti-Rangers groups.  That, along with the insistence on trying bring back dumb chants that focus on the other team than supporting the Devils are just plain embarrassing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aylbert said:

To help out the author; the actual source was on reddit...  the twitter guy was citing this: 

See advertising this game makes even less sense to me, it's basically the one time that the organisation is guaranteed good attendance with little or no promotion. 

If they were targeting Isles fans or Flyers fans in South Jersey then yeah. But not the Rangers, there is no need , that game sells itself. 

• Thanks 1