2017 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

Straight from the email they just sent out... 

NEW SCOREBOARD THIS SEASON?
Scoreboard_StayTuned_9-15-17v3.png

The rumors are true: we are in the process of installing a brand new, bigger and better scoreboard for the 2017-18 regular season! While it will not be used during preseason, we are in final stages of preparing the new scoreboard for our Home Opener presented by Prudential on Oct. 7! Stay tuned for more information. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

lol I love that we are able to see  the interactions between players, it does make the fan experience end better.. I wonder if the fans in Toronto have this... but on another note even though it is just a score board I'm pumped for our place to get something elite, it is supposed to be bigger and better than any other board in the NHL which is pretty cool. A lot to be excited about this year with the additions of hischier, Johansson, Boyle and butcher.

20 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

lol I love that we are able to see  the interactions between players, it does make the fan experience end better.. I wonder if the fans in Toronto have this... but on another note even though it is just a score board I'm pumped for our place to get something elite, it is supposed to be bigger and better than any other board in the NHL which is pretty cool. A lot to be excited about this year with the additions of hischier, Johansson, Boyle and butcher.

For me it is starting to become a doube-edged sword.  It's nice to see the daily lives of the players and nice to get a peek at their banter with other players too.  Makes them a lot more personable.  However it also gets pretty irritating to see them clowning around on social media an hour or two after they dogged it in a game where they got destroyed in.  There were a couple nights last season I almost wanted to punch Henrique in the face to wipe that smug little smirk off of him.

I am pumped about that new scoreboard too.  Shame we won't see it in the preseason, but I can wait.  I honestly don't care if it is slightly smaller than a couple of other boards in the NHL, I am just glad that I can finally see the puck during replays.

Rather sure training camp is going on right now in juniors as well, so it seems like the team just cut the junior guys they weren't giving serious looks to this year. Particularly for Big Poppy it's important he's at his team's training camp so he can get better acclimated to that Prince George team considering he never really found his footing after the trade last year.

1 hour ago, moustic said:

I had great hope for Popugaev... And camp is already over for him... 

I wouldn't look at this as a knock on him. They knew he wasn't going to be on the big team this year and they can't put him in Binghamton so they let him join his junior team. Probably the same story for everyone other than Guay

I seen a couple posts that talk about Hall and how he sat down with Shero to discuss his role with the Devils and how he is expected to take more of a leadership on and off the ice.  Do you think this, in any way is also to help motivate him to want to re-sign with the Devils when the time comes?   What is everyone's thoughts on the leadership role that Shero wants Hall to fill?

so far, if i had to guess, i would bet opening night looks like this:

hall-hischier-palmieri

johansson-henrique-stafford

bratt-zacha-blandisi

wood-boyle-noeson

mcleod

greene-severson

butcher-santini

moore-lovejoy

meuller | prout

schneider

kinkaid

* If Boyle can't go, Coleman makes the team out of camp in his spot

* Hayes sticks around for a bit and will get signed within 2 weeks

- I think Quenville and Speers, because they are waiver-exempt will start in Bingo. It's an easy roster decision. While I think it is very likely that Bratt returns to London, he has done enough all summer (and the brass have been pumping his tires all summer) that I think he gets a look to start (like how Speers got it last year seemingly out of nowhere). As for Mcleod - the under 20 AHL rule stinks here. That's really where he belongs but without that option, I think the Devils give him a shot just to keep him around a little longer and see if he can stick. Otherwise back to the OHL for one more year.

- As much as I detest Lovejoy, he's going to get a decent leash to see if he's still an NHL'er.

• Like 1

What's wood doing to earn his Spot? I switch hayes with stafford, want to keep that line together with pavel and bratt, move blender to woods place.  Wood can sit a few times..  before we send mcleod back to the ohl , I still want to see him on a line with established nhl top 6ish forwards, if he still can't get visible or shots off. Then move on. Unfortunately he looks like a checking line center as his ceiling..

For the game at PEI, Zacha finally gets his first line center shot (with Nico potentially swapping in occasionally again?). Will be good to see MoJo at wing too:

Andrew Gross‏ Verified account @AGrossRecord 

Hynes on lines at PEI

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri

Johansson-Hischier-Stafford

Henrique will center the third line.

ETA: Bratt & JQ will be Adam's wings on the third line. 

Edited by LittleBallofHate

14 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

What's wood doing to earn his Spot? I switch hayes with stafford, want to keep that line together with pavel and bratt, move blender to woods place.  Wood can sit a few times..  before we send mcleod back to the ohl , I still want to see him on a line with established nhl top 6ish forwards, if he still can't get visible or shots off. Then move on. Unfortunately he looks like a checking line center as his ceiling..

McLeod is 19. Its a little early to be throwing "checking line center" in as his ceiling. He may not be NHL ready yet but he has a lot of years ahead of him

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

McLeod is 19. Its a little early to be throwing "checking line center" in as his ceiling. He may not be NHL ready yet but he has a lot of years ahead of him

I don't know crap about ELC and the OHL.. he has a 3 year contract (in his second year of).. do we retain the rights.  If he doesn't make the club next year

3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I don't know crap about ELC and the OHL.. he has a 3 year contract (in his second year of).. do we retain the rights.  If he doesn't make the club next year

He's signed to a three year ELC, and he doesn't burn a year off his ELC if he plays in the OHL this year. So, between his ELC and RFA years, McLeod is slated to be Devils property until he's 27.

9 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If he does get sent back to the OHL though, he really has to crush it, like exceed 100 points.  If he doesn't do that, it's a big cause for concern.

• Like 1

LINK

New Jersey has assigned the following 12 players to Binghamton (AHL):

Defensemen: Yaroslav Dyblenko, Josh Jacobs, Michael Kapla, Colton White

Forwards: Brandon Baddock, Nathan Bastian, Brandon Gignac, Ryan Kujawinski, Blake Pietila, Kevin Rooney, Blake Speers

Goaltender: Mackenzie Blackwood

The following three players on AHL contracts that were in New Jersey's training camp will now report to Binghamton for AHL camp:

Forwards: Austin Cangelosi, Jan Mandat

Defenseman: Jacob MacDonald

The following three players have been placed on waivers:

Forwards: Bracken Kearns, Ben Thomson

Goaltender: Scott Wedgewood

Released from professional tryout:

Defenseman: Tim Erixon