2017 Training Camp thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

With McLeod's speed, if he has any stick awareness at all he should be on the penalty kill.  He might be a good offensive player 5 on 5 but might not be much good on the power play, and likewise I don't think the PK is the place to just dump your worst offensive forwards - I'd much rather see him on the PK.

That's the question, actually the only question.. I'm sure he would be a very good defensive center as well as PK with his skill set..  I'd much rather see him scoring,  aND I'm a bit disappointed ...

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

That's the question, actually the only question.. I'm sure he would be a very good defensive center as well as PK with his skill set..  I'd much rather see him scoring,  aND I'm a bit disappointed ...

People were dissapointed in Zacha last year and now he looks like he's taken the next step. McLeod is 19, let's not write him off just yet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

People were dissapointed in Zacha last year and now he looks like he's taken the next step. McLeod is 19, let's not write him off just yet. 

I remember Adam Larsson being a bust as well. I think some hockey fans expect players to just jump in to the big leagues like in football or basketball, but this is a very different sport. 

• Like 1

I remember Adam Larsson being a bust as well. I think some hockey fans expect players to just jump in to the big leagues like in football or basketball, but this is a very different sport. 

A lot of people think the way players develop is one size fits all. It isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McLeod is 19 years old, as was Zacha a year ago, and look at the growth he's made. Every player develops differently, and if you're calling a 19 year old a borderline bust already, then you're just impatient. I'm not worried about McLeod at all, it's not like he can't into camp and looked entirely out of place, imo he's done a lot of good things in the games he's been in, just the offensive production hasn't been there. Give him some time.

The point I was trying to make is that not everyone is good at the power play, even some great 5 on 5 offensive players in the NHL, and McLeod's most noted skill - speed - is usually not all that helpful there.  If he turns into a player who scores 40-50 points and plays on PP2/SH1 I won't complain a bit.

Zachas skill set was never in question by me..  I thought he showed well last year even though he didn't light the lamp. He has very good vision and sense. And is a superior puck handler.  I think at this point he's much stronger on the boards than nico.

What I still want to see is mcleod with better line mates, he didn't have the opertunity especially that bratt, or Q had imo.  Hynes wants to play a quick cutting slashing to the net offense  mcleod should do well there... if he makes the squad as a PK good for him..  I don't  think I'm being unfair in a bit of disappointment for a #1 pick..  and I do wish he had an nhl shot...

Btw, the rational that other players improve has zero relevance.. but him only being  19 is definitely a consideration 

From Andrew Gross: 

Here were the lines at Saturday’s first of two practices (the second was again devoted to special teams work):

Taylor Hall-Pavel Zacha-Kyle Palmieri

Marcus Johansson-Nico Hischier-Drew Stafford

Jesper Bratt-Adam Henrique-Jimmy Hayes

Miles Wood-Joseph Blandisi-Stefan Noesen

After practice, Hynes said there was a “strong possibility” Zacha starts the season between Hall and Palmieri. And Hynes said there was a “strong possibility” Hischier will be used on a line with Johansson, who will start the season as a left wing.

Also, Hynes said Henrique will start the season as a center.

On McLeod: “Right now it’s day to day,” coach John Hynes said. “He went out yesterday and it didn’t feel great after the skate and we held him off today. We’ll see how it goes over the next few days.”

Full article here:  http://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nhl/devils/fireandice/2017/09/30/devils-trim-roster-and-lineup-becomes-clearer/719895001/

For anyone who's been wanting to take a trip to West Point - now's the time! 

The Devils will have a team-bonding trip to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. Sunday through Tuesday, with a practice on Monday morning at Tate Rink open to the public.

The practice begins at 9:30 and the Devils are scheduled to be on the ice for approximately 90 minutes. No tickets are required.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He can't play in the minors. It's the NHL or Mississauga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand this is a rule but can anyone tell me the logic behind why this rule exists? Why can't a team draft a player and put him in their minor league system anytime they want?

5 hours ago, devlman said:

I understand this is a rule but can anyone tell me the logic behind why this rule exists? Why can't a team draft a player and put him in their minor league system anytime they want?

The NHL has negotiated the transfer agreement with the CHL. The CHL is trying to protect its interests (having as many good junior players as possible). Same with the European transfer agreement(s).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I havent seen any preseason games but from what I've read, with Prout playing well, any thought that Killjoy could be waived?

Basically not likely, but everyone else is hopeful.  I'd honestly rather see Prout in Lovejoy's place anyway.  Prout can just be a 7th D.  I wanna see Butcher, Santini, and Mueller basically.  Sink or swim time.  

• Like 1

So, with Gibbons and Strait hitting waivers, and Loov, Appelby, and Rooney moving down to Binghamton last week, I believe this is where we now stand. 28 players, 1-2 going to IR, meaning 3-4 more players to cut.

Forwards (18):

Joseph Blandisi 

Brian Boyle 

Jesper Bratt

Blake Coleman 

Taylor Hall

Jimmy Hayes

Adam Henrique

Nico Hischier

Marcus Johansson

Nick Lappin

Michael McLeod