GDT: 9/23/17 Bright Lights Brah @ NJ Devils

CommonDreads

1 minute ago, devlman said:

What is the fvcking point of that? Just to make a rule change for the sake of making a rule change? Really dumb one.

You don't understand the point of making that rule?  The purpose of not allowing line changes after icing is to discourage icing.  The purpose of not allowing timeouts after an icing is to... discourage icing, as well as increase scoring.

• Like 1

Dam,This is not going to be an easy roster to predict..  I'd like to see mcleod get some time with some vets.. butcher is a slick puck carrier but green, in front of the net I'd actually prefer this guy loov.. who played nash very strong 1v1.. but it's only one game and ii need to see how quick his stick is..  stafford looked energetic and has the nhl wrister.. in the two games I saw, that line has been very active and possession favorable.. need too see speers and noesson more.   

I liked a lot of what McLeod did tonight but I don't see him making the team - he's not making enough happen out there in the games I've seen.  One more year and he should be challenging for a spot.

Blandisi should be on the team for sure.

I suspect Hayes will make the team.

Bratt is a wildcard, he has played really well but I don't see the incentive to him making the team.

As for the defense, Butcher does some nice things but I don't see why he would make the team at this point.  Some time in Binghamton could help him.  I don't think Santini had a good game but I don't think his roster spot is up for grabs, either.

So this makes the lines something like:

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri

Johansson-Henrique-Stafford

Blandisi-Hischier-Hayes

Wood-?-Noesen

Maybe they'd move Blandisi down to the 4th line center spot and put Quenneville or Bratt on that wing.  Coleman could make the team as an extra.  I dunno, maybe they will take someone on waivers for this spot also.

• Like 2

I feel like it will be un-Devils like for Bratt to make the team and not be returned to Juniors. But, being un-Devils may be exactly what we need. 

He's making it a difficult decision, that's for sure. He's been very impressive. I mean this kid was a 6th rounder last year, it would be a HUGE bonus if we found something there with him. So far he looks like what we all hoped Tedenby would turn out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Triumph said:

I liked a lot of what McLeod did tonight but I don't see him making the team - he's not making enough happen out there in the games I've seen.  One more year and he should be challenging for a spot.

Blandisi should be on the team for sure.

I suspect Hayes will make the team.

Bratt is a wildcard, he has played really well but I don't see the incentive to him making the team.

As for the defense, Butcher does some nice things but I don't see why he would make the team at this point.  Some time in Binghamton could help him.  I don't think Santini had a good game but I don't think his roster spot is up for grabs, either.

So this makes the lines something like:

Hall-Zacha-Palmieri

Johansson-Henrique-Stafford

Blandisi-Hischier-Hayes

Wood-?-Noesen

Maybe they'd move Blandisi down to the 4th line center spot and put Quenneville or Bratt on that wing.  Coleman could make the team as an extra.  I dunno, maybe they will take someone on waivers for this spot also.

Wouldnt Boyle be the ?

Bratt has looked very good (leaps and bounds compared to last season), but I don't think he's part of the plan this season. I think he's better served playing big minutes in the OHL. 

A bit disappointed in McLeod. He'll be going back for sure.

I got news for ya- Bratt's making the team. You can't not reward play like his. That sends a sh!tty message. He's earned it. I think he gets at least a few games before going to London.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I got news for ya- Bratt's making the team. You can't not reward play like his. That sends a sh!tty message. He's earned it. I think he gets at least a few games before going to London.

Give Bratt a chance. Send McLeod back. McLeod hasn’t shown me anything. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Triumph said:

You don't understand the point of making that rule?  The purpose of not allowing line changes after icing is to discourage icing.  The purpose of not allowing timeouts after an icing is to... discourage icing, as well as increase scoring.

Its ONE timeout a game. It wont discourage icings, it'll get players hurt. Allowing a team to also set its defensive scheme and personnel one time for a final play is also an intelligent part of the game that I appreciated.  This obsession with increasing scoring is just that - an obsession. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

Its ONE timeout a game. It wont discourage icings, it'll get players hurt. Allowing a team to also set its defensive scheme and personnel one time for a final play is also an intelligent part of the game that I appreciated.  This obsession with increasing scoring is just that - an obsession. 

It discourages intentionally icing the puck for purposes of calling a timeout. If you are going to have a rule that the offending team can’t change players, it only makes sense that they should not be able to ice it and then rest said players. 

13 minutes ago, devlman said:

They didn't get rid of the timeout.  Most whistles at the end of the game are probably not for icing, so you'll still see plenty of that, not to mention that the offense may call timeout to set up a play and rest their best guys late in games.

I agree that it probably won't affect the rate of icings, but I feel confident that not allowing line changes after icings has (as well as the puck-over-glass rule).  Throwing the puck away blindly should not be rewarded.  

28 minutes ago, devlman said:

Been having this argument with my friend over the last day or so. I'm on your side but he's with Tri.