GDT: 9/27/17 NJ Devils @ Washington - Preseason Finale

CommonDreads

It's going to be tough (for Hynesy/Shero) to send down a few of these guys. They would say, what do I have to do? I did what i was asked to do. Especially role players. 

i think Hayes will get a contract,(2 way unless he refuses)  but be on a short leash.  Staff is a pleasant surprise & can play anywhere in top 9. loved Will Butchers goal last night.  Mueller played well too. 

well, off to bond at West Point!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

It's preseason so it's easy for the Caps to give up after going down 4-0, but man, the Devils look decent.  They won't keep scoring goals so easily but the speed with which they are coming through the neutral zone and operating in the offensive zone is going to be a real challenge for opposing defenses.   Hischier looks great obviously, but if both he and Zacha can keep this up, it's a totally different team from last year.  It's starting to happen.

The Caps showed some more life as the game went on, but yeah, clearly wasn't their night in general...I don't think I've ever seen Ovechkin look so invisible.  It was fun listening to the Caps announcers giving the Devils so much credit.  

Devils scored 25 goals in 7 preseason games...yeah, goes without saying that they won't keep scoring at that rate, but they could find their way to upper middle-of-the-pack in GF, which is obviously a quantum leap over what we've seen in recent seasons. 

"It's starting to happen" pretty much sums it up.  The Devils clearly got a huge break in getting the chance to take Hischier, but Shero has done a fine job in a relatively short period of time to bring in some solid forward talent, when that cupboard seemed damned near bare not so long ago.  As long as this team stays relatively healthy, and as long as Schneider doesn't play like he did last season, this team should be able to contend for a playoff berth.  If they get off to a strong start (that isn't based on smoke and mirrors, like last year's 9-3-3 run), it will be interesting to see how teams adjust to them...the Devils were an easy two points for most teams down the stretch last season, and they still might get taken a little lightly early on.  Even if the Devils miss the playoffs this season, I don't think they're going to endure anything close to the rotten stretch that we saw at the end of last season.  90 points or more seems like a reasonable possibility. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Hynes should get some props in all this to be fair,  the fast passing in the OZ and the quick regroups on the break outs , have his fingers print all over then..  it's very apparent that the defense has been drilled to not force the break out and they go behind the net with the puck multiple times if necessary befor a break out

It sure is great to see us performing so well, I'm just hoping it's not all smoke and mirrors and that we don't fizzle once the actual season begins.  I mean, I haven't caught any games from start to finish in the pre-season, but from what I've seen it looks like we're not only winning most of them, but that we're scoring a crap ton too.  It's pretty unbelievable.  Is the only game we lost the one to the Rags a week or so ago that went to OT?  I can't seem to find pre-season standings, but have we lost any other games?  Either way, good to see the guys gelling, and hopefully it carries over once the regular season kicks off.

2 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

The only goal he'll score during the regular season will be against the Devils.

We really held onto him for too long. Just a total bust

Interestingly enough we now have 4 of the 6 players drafted right after him. John Moore, Tim Erixon, Marcus Johansson, and Kyle Palmieri

34 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

It sure is great to see us performing so well, I'm just hoping it's not all smoke and mirrors and that we don't fizzle once the actual season begins.  I mean, I haven't caught any games from start to finish in the pre-season, but from what I've seen it looks like we're not only winning most of them, but that we're scoring a crap ton too.  It's pretty unbelievable.  Is the only game we lost the one to the Rags a week or so ago that went to OT?  I can't seem to find pre-season standings, but have we lost any other games?  Either way, good to see the guys gelling, and hopefully it carries over once the regular season kicks off.

And the lose to the Islanders where they skated a pretty much an AHL level team.

51 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

5-1-1 record, 25 GF, 12 GA

Hischier and Stafford led the team in points with 7 each in 4 GP (both had four goals and three assists).

Actually just about everyone put up some nice preseason numbers...just hope they don't do what the Mets usually do once spring training ends (disappear completely offensively to start the regular season):

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/stats/NJ/new-jersey-devils

1 hour ago, bostondevil11 said:

And the lose to the Islanders where they skated a pretty much an AHL level team.

Oh that's right, I did see that 3-0 loss when they did split-squad.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

5-1-1 record, 25 GF, 12 GA

Hischier and Stafford led the team in points with 7 each in 4 GP (both had four goals and three assists).

Actually just about everyone put up some nice preseason numbers...just hope they don't do what the Mets usually do once spring training ends (disappear completely offensively to start the regular season):

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/teams/stats/NJ/new-jersey-devils

Nice, yeah I totally forgot we had Stafford til I saw him on the scoresheet the other night.  I saw plenty of Hischier too which was nice.   All in all I was pretty surprised to see so much scoring since this team is not only still pretty young, but also lots of new faces and you'd figure it would take some time for them to develop chemistry and play well together.  Color me impressed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh that's right, I did see that 3-0 loss when they did split-squad.

Nice, yeah I totally forgot we had Stafford til I saw him on the scoresheet the other night.  I saw plenty of Hischier too which was nice.   All in all I was pretty surprised to see so much scoring since this team is not only still pretty young, but also lots of new faces and you'd figure it would take some time for them to develop chemistry and play well together.  Color me impressed.

Not really digging the long layoff from now until the first game of the season...off the top of my head, it reminds me of the 2000-01 regular season start...the Devils waxed the Canadiens 8-4, then didn't play for a full week. 

These guys probably want to get going in the worst way. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not really digging the long layoff from now until the first game of the season...off the top of my head, it reminds me of the 2000-01 regular season start...the Devils waxed the Canadiens 8-4, then didn't play for a full week. 

Don't the teams make their own preseason schedule by agreeing to games with other teams?  If so, then it looks like the Devils wanted it this way.

Also from what I have been hearing, the team will be doing some sort of team building activity up at West Point in the coming days.

Devils always seem to play fewer games and have larger gaps in their schedule early in the season while the Rags are always at like 25 games played when some teams are at 20 and 21. Believe this was because of the circus coming to MSG later in the year

15 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Don't the teams make their own preseason schedule by agreeing to games with other teams?  If so, then it looks like the Devils wanted it this way.

Also from what I have been hearing, the team will be doing some sort of team building activity up at West Point in the coming days.

Yes, they do, I'm more just saying that I don't like it...just seems like such a long time to start playing again...just the fan in me wanting to see them play some more.  But it looks like the Devils have some kind of plan in place, and Shero has done a lot of things right so far, so I can't really knock him. 

21 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I was coming here to post this exact same thing -- was wondering why we are already done apparently when most teams seem to be playing games for the next 2-3 days, and many of those same teams also start their regular seasons as early as Wednesday, while we don't start til Saturday.  Pretty crazy and long break if you ask me, and I agree most of the guys you'd think would want to get going as quickly as possible to keep the momentum going, but maybe a lengthy break will be good to let them rest and also keep them grounded to the fact that it probably won't always be that easy (not that it was, but it certainly looked that way). 

16 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was coming here to post this exact same thing -- was wondering why we are already done apparently when most teams seem to be playing games for the next 2-3 days, and many of those same teams also start their regular seasons as early as Wednesday, while we don't start til Saturday.  Pretty crazy and long break if you ask me, and I agree most of the guys you'd think would want to get going as quickly as possible to keep the momentum going, but maybe a lengthy break will be good to let them rest and also keep them grounded to the fact that it probably won't always be that easy (not that it was, but it certainly looked that way). 

They are doing the team building thing at west point which seems to be a new tradition. Maybe they feel that's the best way to finish the week with this roster. Then Tuesday or Wednesday they come back fresh for practice