2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

Not even trying to be biased, I'm not sure if Kerfoot makes the opening roster if he signed here. Not really bitter at all about him playing so well for Colorado, good on him for finding a place where he had a better opportunity to make an immediate impact, we got Butcher so all is well with the world, I'd rather have Will.

Edited by CommonDreads

Kerfoot is also feasting off an unsustainable shooting% (33.3).  In 16 out of 19 games he's been held to one shot or less.  Not to say he won't be a good player for the Avs, but I wouldn't base any projections re:  future production off what he's doing right now.  His numbers are ripe for regression.

But if one wants to take the viewpoint that this worked out like a Kerfoot-for-Butcher trade, then I'd say it was one that worked out for both teams.  I think the Devils needed Butcher more than they needed Kerfoot.  And Kerfoot is off to a nice start for the Avs, bloated numbers or not. 

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

So if the NHL is not helping (supposedly), where is the NHLPA in this?  Are they even lifting a finger to help out?

I wasn't accusing either the NHL or NHLPA of anything...I was just posting the original article, in case anyone wanted to read that too. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wasn't accusing either the NHL or NHLPA of anything...I was just posting the original article, in case anyone wanted to read that too. 

Oh I wasn't directing that to you in general, just basically saying a thought out loud and replied to your statement so people knew what I was talking about lol.

I just find it interesting whenever I read articles like this that all the focus is the NHL failing its players, but not a single question about the NHLPA and its role in helping these players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah we don't even have room for Zacha**, Quenneville, McLeod, Lappin, Blandisi etc etc with a full lineup

** kind of

None of those guys have 15 points. And three of those five I would trade for him straight up any day of the week.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oh I wasn't directing that to you in general, just basically saying a thought out loud and replied to your statement so people knew what I was talking about lol.

I just find it interesting whenever I read articles like this that all the focus is the NHL failing its players, but not a single question about the NHLPA and its role in helping these players.

You notice that the players who are really having problems are ex-fighters.  For all those years, if the PA wanted to get rid of fighting, it could have forced the issue, but never did. I imagine that this was precisely because you had fighters arguing that they’d be out of job if fighting were ever banned.  While maybe they could argue that the league hid medical data about the severity of repeated concussions, it’s sort of hard to claim that you didn’t know that getting repeatedly punched in the head wouldn’t cause you any long term damage.  

I mean, Peluso’s case of being forced back on the ice after a seizure seems pretty egregious, but it doesn’t look like he’s going to come away with any major settlement.

19 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So people are starting to question whether Patrick was deserving of the #2 overall - it's obviously very, very early but it's nice to see people respecting Nico as the bonafide #1 pick in this past draft.

If we had gone Patrick... oh man how miserable would we all be right now?

Who is doing that?  I'm sure some very impatient Flyer fans might be, but it's crazy to start wondering about Patrick so early.  He was pretty much either #1 or #2 on everyone's chart for a reason.  Doesn't mean that picks like that are guaranteed to live up to expectations of course (see Daigle, Alexander, among others), but I can't question his pick placement just yet (even with the early injury).   

• Like 1

MacKinnon has been on a tear since that Duchene trade, 10 points in the last 4 games, for a season total of 25 points in 20 games.

The fact that the coaching staff at Halifax was more impressed with Nico than MacK (and Ehlers, Drouin, etc.) during their respective draft years is really encouraging. Obviously a lot can change once you hit the NHL level. MacKinnon certainly has become a far better player than I thought he would be. But it would be a great thing to have a player at his level on this team in a couple of years. All we need is a Rantanen now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nessus said:

MacKinnon has been on a tear since that Duchene trade, 10 points in the last 4 games, for a season total of 25 points in 20 games.

The fact that the coaching staff at Halifax was more impressed with Nico than MacK (and Ehlers, Drouin, etc.) during their respective draft years is really encouraging. Obviously a lot can change once you hit the NHL level. MacKinnon certainly has become a far better player than I thought he would be. But it would be a great thing to have a player at his level on this team in a couple of years. All we need is a Rantanen now.

Yeah im lucky to be from that region and able to see all those guys play in juniors. 

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah im lucky to be from that region and able to see all those guys play in juniors. 

What were your impressions of Nico compared to the others? I know you are/were very high on Ehlers. Were you hoping the Devils would select Nico before the draft?

7 hours ago, nessus said:

What were your impressions of Nico compared to the others? I know you are/were very high on Ehlers. Were you hoping the Devils would select Nico before the draft?

Oh i was full on team Nico from the start. Nolan's injury history was just too much of a gamble for me. I didn't want to worry all the time when he'd go down and if he'd be the next Havlat etc etc plus i do like creative and flashy plays, i could see Nico doing that and being entertaining a lot more than Nolan. Again, they were compared to Eric Staal and Zetterberg. I'd personally pick Zetterberg 10 times out of 10

I didn't get to see as much Nico as the other guys but i always loved his game, just so smart, smooth and playing the right way. They are just different type of players i guess. Always saw Mackinnon as a beast, insanely fast and powerful but not an incredibly smart player, not that he's dumb or wtv, i just didn't see that from what i've seen from him then, he'd just beat guys with blazing speed like it was nothing. Drouin it was all about his puck control, it was insane. Ehlers just seemed... commanding? Very solid and good overall, he didn't have a strength sticking out like the others, just solid. 

It's interesting cause every year i check who the top 60 prospects are and when they are playing in Moncton, then i try to go. I only went to 1 game this year so far but there was like 2-3 potential top 10 picks playing. So i had Nico on my radar early last year but i knew he was projected mid first round, slowly saw the rise and then realized the Devils had a shot at him.. it was pretty exciting. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

Suffice it to say that Mike Cammalleri isn't helping out the Oilers much...one assist in 5 GP and is a -4.  Just one goal and two assists in his last 15 GP overall, and is a -7 with one assist in his last 9 GP.  Get the feeling he'll be announcing his retirement at the end if the season, if he makes it that far.  Not really surprised...he's 35 and with all of the injuries he's dealt with through the years, his body is probably older than that.  Too bad...he seemed like a solid guy from the bits that I saw of him, and he's only 10 goals shy of 300 for his career. 

Looking more and more like his hot stretch last season, in November (after his daughter recovered from illness...6 goals and 4 assists in 10 GP) was his last.  Since then, he's scored four goals in his last 63 GP (18 assists, 22 points, -18)...and this from a guy who's best attribute was being a pretty good sniper (and who could occasionally get hot). 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Suffice it to say that Mike Cammalleri isn't helping out the Oilers much...one assist in 5 GP and is a -4.  Just one goal and two assists in his last 15 GP overall, and is a -7 with one assist in his last 9 GP.  Get the feeling he'll be announcing his retirement at the end if the season, if he makes it that far.  Not really surprised...he's 35 and with all of the injuries he's dealt with through the years, his body is probably older than that.  Too bad...he seemed like a solid guy from the bits that I saw of him, and he's only 10 goals shy of 300 for his career. 

Looking more and more like his hot stretch last season, in November (after his daughter recovered from illness...6 goals and 4 assists in 10 GP) was his last.  Since then, he's scored four goals in his last 63 GP (18 assists, 22 points, -18)...and this from a guy who's best attribute was being a pretty good sniper (and who could occasionally get hot). 

absolutely never liked the guy. Im not religious but i begged any gods i could find that Shero would buy him out last summer. And he did. 

Now i'm not even sure which god to thank.

• Like 1