2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Back to square 1 

Nah, that Panthers loss today was a massive step in the right direction. 

That's the team we are competing against because they are the last team who can really take a team out of the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Nah, that Panthers loss today was a massive step in the right direction. 

That's the team we are competing against because they are the last team who can really take a team out of the playoffs. 

sure but the other teams could also take themselves out of the playoffs too. 

TEAMS - GP - PTS - GR - MAX - DIFF
2)PHI - 72 -  83 - 10 - 103 - (-1)
3)CBJ - 72 -  83 - 10 - 103 - (-1)
1)NJD - 71 -  82 - 11 - 104 -  (E)
4)FLA - 69 -  77 - 13 - 103 - (-1)
Good news, we gained on Florida, tomorrow is another big day. Flyers play Caps as we take on the Ducks.

The panthers losing makes that less likely. If the teams on the outside are all losing you can't take yourself out.

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

sure but the other teams could also take themselves out of the playoffs too.   

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

look at Florida's schedule. They will win more than lose until the end of the season

They will soon be at the point where they have to win all there games if they keep dropping points at teams like Edmonton. After today's games even if the win the games in hand they would still be outside the playoffs. 

That's a step in the right direction. 

• Like 1

Hey it's March, teams on the bubble are going to be playing their best hockey. Winning tonight kept us only a point behind with a game in hand on both Philly and Columbus. We are still in control-our-own destiny territory and honestly the situation is pretty good with only one team outside the bubble, Florida, being a threat for now.

The West on the other hand, is going to be chaos until the end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

look at Florida's schedule. They will win more than lose until the end of the season

i'm hoping that FLA loses to CBJ on Thursday,

plus they have 3 games against BOS, a NSH, and a TOR, so I don't see FLA having an easy schedule. 

if they get in the playoffs then they will have earned it over the last quarter of the season.

14 minutes ago, BlueSkirt said:

plus they have 3 games against BOS, a NSH, and a TOR, so I don't see FLA having an easy schedule. 

if they get in the playoffs then they will have earned it over the last quarter of the season.

FWIW, if the Devils go 5-5-1 the rest of the way, the Panthers would have to go 8-4-1 to finish ahead of them.  

The Panthers have also lost to two non-playoff teams recently. I’m not as focused on their opponents as much as the number of games they have to play during the next couple weeks. They don’t have two nights off in a row the rest of the way. They either play every other night, or back-to-back. Hopefully they’ll run out of gas. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

The Panthers have also lost to two non-playoff teams recently. I’m not as focused on their opponents as much as the number of games they have to play during the next couple weeks. They don’t have two nights off in a row the rest of the way. They either play every other night, or back-to-back. Hopefully they’ll run out of gas. 

The problem sometimes is fans (especially ones who think the worst) think a hot team is just going to remain that way.  It's one thing to be scalding hot for 19 games to get into the outskirts of a playoff berth (like Florida did in going 15-3-1).  The problem is trying to keep that up for a LOT of games...and another problem is that the Panthers never actually nudged their way into a WC berth...they've never been anything more than on the outside looking in.  And of course Florida's schedule was extremely beneficial in that they got to play 12 games with damned near no travel. 

Not saying that they're dead, just that it's so friggin' hard to force your way up the standings when you're in constant need of help.  That's where the Panthers are.  Days keep ticking off the calendar and they keep on not getting any closer than they've been for a while now.  On 3/2 the Panthers were six points behind the Devils with three games in hand.  Now they're five back with two in hand.  So they've basically picked up one point on the Devils since then and lost one of their games in hand.  Two weeks have ticked off the schedule.

And as we keep seeing, parity = not many truly dreadful teams.  Sure, there's some bad ones (Montreal and the Isles have been especially awful lately...the Canadiens have four wins in their past 19 GP), but there just aren't many gimmes these days.  A seemingly sh!t team can take you down, especially if you go in thinking it's an easy two points. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

FWIW, if the Devils go 5-5-1 the rest of the way, the Panthers would have to go 8-4-1 to finish ahead of them.  

I don't think that's accurate.  If Devs go 5-5-1 and Fla goes 7-4-2 both will have exact same points (93) W, L,  and OTL  and if the ROW is same

-Florida won the season series  2-1 (tie breaker?)

In that case Fla would have to go 6-5-3 or 7-5-1 to miss playoffs.    

1 hour ago, Have Another Donut said:

I don't think that's accurate.  If Devs go 5-5-1 and Fla goes 7-4-2 both will have exact same points (93) W, L,  and OTL  and if the ROW is same

-Florida won the season series  2-1 (tie breaker?)

In that case Fla would have to go 6-5-3 or 7-5-1 to miss playoffs.    

Still a little early for me to worry about specific tiebreaker scenarios.  But right now 11 points in their remaining 11 games would give the Devils 93 points on the season.  The Panthers need 17 to render any tiebreakers scenarios with the Devils moot.  

Anyway how can Florida go 6-5-3 when they only have 13 games left to play?  Guess you meant 6-4-3?  

6 hours ago, BlueSkirt said:

Boston is dealing with lots of important injuries tho and they'll play Toronto in the playoffs no matter what so not sure if they'll be giving their 100% during that whole stretch

I mean anything can happen over these final 10-12 regular seasons games. The only way I look at it at this point is that Florida is 5 points back with 2 games in hand. That's ok position. They're definitely far from out of it yet and two wins for them and two losses for us can change the entire dynamic. That said, the same is true for Columbus and Philly who the Devils have one game on and Florida has three games on. If you forced me to make a prediction it would be the same as what I thought it was months ago and as it often is: 95 points gets you in in the East.

In the West, it is actually feasible that three teams with 95+ points will miss the playoffs, though I think it's likely at least one team will have 90-93.

Edited by Neb00rs

15 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean anything can happen over these final 10-12 regular seasons games. The only way I look at it at this point is that Florida is 5 points back with 2 games in hand. That's ok position. They're definitely far from out of it yet and two wins for them and two losses for us can change the entire dynamic. That said, the same is true for Columbus and Philly who the Devils have one game on and Florida has three games on. If you forced me to make a prediction it would be the same as what I thought it was months ago and as it often is: 95 points gets you in in the East.

In the West, it is actually feasible that three teams with 95+ points will miss the playoffs, though I think it's likely at least one team will have 90-93.

Need 1.18 points per game left or 13 more points...5 or 6 regulation wins should get us in, I would think...