2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

32 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Having to bite our nails and stare at the out of town scoreboard really makes me appreciate the days when we locked up a playoff spot in mid march a lot of years. 

It really is amazing but other than 2013-14 (sort of) we haven't had a lot of down to the wire playoff races since freaking 1995-1996...and neither one of them turned out well :P  But generally either we've been in by February or done by early March.

30 minutes ago, '7' said:

Well the NHL wasn't always an 82 game league.

No but they had some pretty good teams in the Sundin era and before that under Pat Burns (briefly)...of course there weren't as many ways to get a win pre-lockout either.

Edited by NJDevs4978

39 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

No but they had some pretty good teams in the Sundin era and before that under Pat Burns (briefly)...of course there weren't as many ways to get a win pre-lockout either.

They definitely did. And those teams were adored by the Toronto media (and always horribly overrated by them too) They were looked upon as some sort of saviors of hockey because of how wide open they insisted on playing. And they were fun to watch (and could goon it up with the best of 'em) but Cujo could never be trusted in a big spot.

43 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Hey, if Philly does win the [small] bright side is that if Colorado misses the playoffs, Hall4Hart becomes about 50% more likely.

He really deserves serious consideration. When you look at guys on good teams with higher point totals, all of them have a stronger support system. Kucherov, Malkin etc

To take nothing away from Hischier, he's just turned 19 and has a very impressive 49 points. But that's a fat 36 points behind Hall while playing 5 more games than Hall. We just don't have elite secondary scoring, we have not gotten good goaltending. Hall has carried us.

• Like 1

Just now, '7' said:

He really deserves serious consideration. When you look at guys on good teams with higher point totals, all of them have a stronger support system. Kucherov, Malkin etc

To take nothing away from Hischier, he's just turned 19 and has a very impressive 49 points. But that's a fat 36 points behind Hall while playing 5 more games than Hall. We just don't have elite secondary scoring, we have not gotten good goaltending. Hall has carried us.

If Colorado misses the playoffs, he's a finalist no doubt. If Colorado misses the playoffs and he passes Kopitar in points and is within 5-7 points of the other finalists, he'll probably win it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

Since when do they use common sense and look into situations to make their votes though? lol it's been ridiculous at times

Edited by SterioDesign

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Since when do they use common sense and look into situations to make their votes though? lol it's been ridiculous at times

I've read a bunch of NHL writers lately, some who are former PHWA and some who know PHWA writers, and they all seem to prefer candidates who are most valuable to their team over candidates who just have the most points. In many years the Hart winner pretty legitimately has the most points in the league and is the most valuable player. Like McDavid last year and Kane the year before that. When Jamie Benn led the league the year before that but imo was not quite deserving of the Hart, Carey Price won it. The year before that Crosby led the league in points and won the Hart trophy and I don't think anyone would argue there either.

And many of these writers I've been reading seem to think it's between two guys, Hall and MacKinnon, with Kopitar right there too. Many do mention Malkin, Wheeler, and Kucherov too, don't get me wrong but Hall and MacKinnon seem to stand out.

Edited by Neb00rs

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

If Colorado misses the playoffs, he's a finalist no doubt. If Colorado misses the playoffs and he passes Kopitar in points and is within 5-7 points of the other finalists, he'll probably win it.

I'm wondering if Giroux is going to be a darkhorse. He's got better secondary scoring around him but he's also had one heck of a revival season after steadily declining for a few years.

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm wondering if Giroux is going to be a darkhorse. He's got better secondary scoring around him but he's also had one heck of a revival season after steadily declining for a few years.

Giroux is the one guy I forgot in my previous post about the writers. He's in the race for sure.

To repeat, it seems to me, judging from articles and tweets written by people who know PHWA writers, that Hall and MacKinnon are the favorites today with Kopitar right up there. And then everyone I've read has at least mentioned Malkin, Wheeler, and Kucherov  

Then, some fringe lists go as far to propose William Karlsson and Brad Marchand too. 

A week ago I'd have still thought Kucherov would have a real good shot, but him slowing down and McDavid taking over the points lead, has, I think, devalued the worth of his point total.

Edited by Neb00rs

Just now, Neb00rs said:

Giroux is the one guy I forgot in my previous post about the writers. He's in the race for sure.

To repeat, it seems to me, judging from articles and tweets written by people who know PHWA writers, that Hall and MacKinnon are the favorites today with Kopitar right up there. And then everyone I've read has at least mentioned Malkin, Wheeler, and Kucherov  

Then, some fringe lists go as far to propose William Karlsson and Brad Marchand too. 

A week ago I'd have still thought Kucherov would have a real good shot, but him slowing down and McDavid taking over the points lead, has, I think, devalued the worth of his point total.

Marchand, the little rat that he is, has to be in the running. 82 points in 61 games is amazing. That's a 109 point pace.

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Marchand, the little rat that he is, has to be in the running. 82 points in 61 games is amazing. That's a 109 point pace.

But you know a lot of people ain't gonna vote for him because, as you imply, he's hateable.

I also wonder if Kopitar will lose votes from writers who plan to vote him for Selke so they skip him for Hart.

TEAMS - GP - PTS - GR - MAX - DIFF - EST - GAMES
1)PIT - 77 -  92 -  5 - 102 - (+2) - 100 - PHI(W)|@DET(L)|@NJD(w),MON(w),WSH(l),@CBJ(w),OTT(w)
3)PHI - 78 -  92 -  4 - 100 -  (E) -  95 - @PIT(OL)|@DAL(OL)|@COL(W)|BOS(l),@NYI(w),CAR(w),NYR(w)
2)CBJ - 77 -  91 -  5 - 101 - (+1) -  97 - STL(L)|@EDM(W)|@CGY(w),@VAN(w),DET(w),PIT(l),@NSH(l)
4)NJD - 76 -  88 -  6 - 100 -  (E) -  94 - TBL(W)|CAR(W)|PIT(l),NYI(w),@MTL(w),NYR(w),TOR(l),@WSH(l)
5)FLA - 75 -  85 -  7 -  99 - (-1) -  91 - ARI(W)|NYI(W)|@TOR(L)|@OTT(w),@BOS(l),CAR(w),@NSH(l),BOS(l),BUF(w),@BOS(l)
Summary: TOR wins!!! Devils now hold the cards in the race over FLA.
F***ing Avs, WTF were they thinking, they played a total of 10 mins vs an exhausted Flyers team. They neither deserve to win nor make the playoffs. This game was an Avs loss rather than a Philly win. I've never liked the Avs since beating us in the SCF, F'k em.
My Predictions:
PIT@NJD: every game is a must win for NJD, LGD!!!
FLA@OTT: FLA looked tired today, OTT sucks. 70/30 FLA
CBJ@CAL: CBJ is on a war path. 80/20 CBJ