2017-2018 Out of Town Thread

Daniel

20 hours ago, jagknife said:

The Verizon Wireless Cup.. holy sh!t, its so Bettman, it actually scares me....

While the math absolutely does not support it, I'd love for them to go more than two divisions per conference again, or at the very minimum, revisit the playoff/standings format

WHA's trophy in the 70's was named after a corporation, so not totally out of the realm of possibilities (though I extremely highly doubt it will ever happen).

Funny part about the WHA is that the trophy was not ready for when the Whalers won the WHA's first championship so they had to skate around with their divisional trophy instead lol.

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

WHA's trophy in the 70's was named after a corporation, so not totally out of the realm of possibilities (though I extremely highly doubt it will ever happen).

Funny part about the WHA is that the trophy was not ready for when the Whalers won the WHA's first championship so they had to skate around with their divisional trophy instead lol.

i guess there's always the Stanley tool company...

What's more likely is 'The Verizon Wireless Stanley Cup' or 'The Stanley Cup, driven by Jeep' (another thing that annoys me about modern-day marketing- if a car company sponsors something, it's 'driven by'; if a telecom company sponsors something, it's 'powered by', etc- annoying and lame as fvck), or something like that. And it would be blasphemous. And because all that matters to anyone associated with pro sports leagues is money, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly never even thought about the possibility of the Stanley Cup having some sponsor attached to it.  I hope to God it never happens, but wouldn't be surprised if one day it did - as others have said, it's all about the almighty dollar, unfortunately. 

To MadDog's point, I hate when in football for example, they'll have "the Visa halftime report", or in hockey "this intermission provided by Firestone", etc etc.  I honestly never pay attention to that sh!t.  I mean, do we really need to attach a sponsor to the INTERMISSION? Jesus Christ, not everything has to have your name or corporate logo smothered all over it.  Sadly, companies will never understand that.  And hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe most of the audience does pay attention to that stuff and they're actually getting eyeballs and foot traffic from those types of marketing campaigns, but I can honestly say I tune it out and it doesn't do one damn thing in terms of influencing my spending habits and them trying to get money out of me.  I don't even do it on purpose really, I just don't care and pay attention to it.

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I honestly never even thought about the possibility of the Stanley Cup having some sponsor attached to it.  I hope to God it never happens, but wouldn't be surprised if one day it did - as others have said, it's all about the almighty dollar, unfortunately. 

To MadDog's point, I hate when in football for example, they'll have "the Visa halftime report", or in hockey "this intermission provided by Firestone", etc etc.  I honestly never pay attention to that sh!t.  I mean, do we really need to attach a sponsor to the INTERMISSION? Jesus Christ, not everything has to have your name or corporate logo smothered all over it.  Sadly, companies will never understand that.  And hey, maybe I'm wrong, maybe most of the audience does pay attention to that stuff and they're actually getting eyeballs and foot traffic from those types of marketing campaigns, but I can honestly say I tune it out and it doesn't do one damn thing in terms of influencing my spending habits and them trying to get money out of me.  I don't even do it on purpose really, I just don't care and pay attention to it.

They'll attached a sponsor to literally anything. The coaches challenges are sponsored, OT is sponsored(they usually throw on that MetLife commercial between the end of the 3rd and the start of OT), players to watch segments, pregame interview segments brought to you by(_______). It's all commercialized. I go out of my way to avoid sponsors if their plugs annoy me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I obviously get that networks and teams are going to try and attach sponsors to everything they possibly can.  And I don't begrudge them for it, so long as the uniforms don't turn into billboards.  I really just don't get why a lot of these businesses spend the money on stuff like that, especially the naming rights to stadiums and areas.

Seriously, are you going to get life insurance with Prudential as opposed to someone else because of the "Prudential Center"?  Do Caps fans really choose Verizon instead of AT&T because of the arena name?

If you're a lesser known company that wants to create brand awareness where none or little existed before that's one thing.  For the most part though, I don't really get it.

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I obviously get that networks and teams are going to try and attach sponsors to everything they possibly can.  And I don't begrudge them for it, so long as the uniforms don't turn into billboards.  I really just don't get why a lot of these businesses spend the money on stuff like that, especially the naming rights to stadiums and areas.

Seriously, are you going to get life insurance with Prudential as opposed to someone else because of the "Prudential Center"?  Do Caps fans really choose Verizon instead of AT&T because of the arena name?

If you're a lesser known company that wants to create brand awareness where none or little existed before that's one thing.  For the most part though, I don't really get it.

Exactly.  In fact, sometimes when the name is associated with a specific thing for so long, you forget what it's actually about or means.  A good example is Citi field for the Mets.  Even though it's relatively new and I'm sure there's some long standing Mets fans that still accidentally refer to the stadium as Shea, most people probably know that the Mets play at Citi field, as do I, but when I say the name, I do not think of the bank at all.  To me it more or less is just the name of the stadium itself, as if it's been that way since the beginning of time.  And this is coming from someone who actually has a Citi credit card! lol  

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Seriously, are you going to get life insurance with Prudential as opposed to someone else because of the "Prudential Center"? 

No but I kind of want to put on full goalie equipment and go to Investors Bank to open a checking account. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Seriously, are you going to get life insurance with Prudential as opposed to someone else because of the "Prudential Center"? 

I...may...have...

Really, I did.  I was shopping for life insurance and when it came down to it, that was the deciding factor.

43 minutes ago, lucifer91 said:

I...may...have...

Really, I did.  I was shopping for life insurance and when it came down to it, that was the deciding factor.

Well, for the investment to pay off, that needs to be the case for probably 10,000 other people.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Well, for the investment to pay off, that needs to be the case for probably 10,000 other people.

Couldn't you really say that's true of any advertising?

They'll attached a sponsor to literally anything. The coaches challenges are sponsored, OT is sponsored(they usually throw on that MetLife commercial between the end of the 3rd and the start of OT), players to watch segments, pregame interview segments brought to you by(_______). It's all commercialized. I go out of my way to avoid sponsors if their plugs annoy me. 

The last five minutes of the fvcking game are sponsored. The 'Foxwoods Final Five'. Also, every radio station has a sponsor for their damn studios. 'We're live from the Townfair Tire studios' is what I heard on WFAN today. Flip over to WDHA and you'll hear 'we're live from the Coors Light studios!' Corporate America would slap ads on a baseball player's bat or glove or on the actual football itself if they could, they're absolutely shameless.

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Seabrook is an healthy scratch tnight. 

Well if he can get scratch... Greene certainly can

Plus he carries a $6.875M cap hit for six seasons beyond this one

Still think it’s different cause he doesn’t wear the C. 

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Seabrook is an healthy scratch tnight. 

Well if he can get scratch... Greene certainly can

Plus he carries a $6.875M cap hit for six seasons beyond this one

Saw this and immediately wanted to post nearly the same thing. CR had been saying it should take another game or two, and I agreed, but now with this development, hell no. In interviews, Seabrook even acknowledged he needed to play better since his last 10 were lackluster.

15 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Not certain but he might wear an "A" but the letter shouldn't be the driving factor. It is, but no one should be above being called out for playing poorly.

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is 100% why I will never even touch Progressive. Holy sh!t, Flo might be one of the worst "spokespeople" out there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

have you ever seen Mighty Ducks 2 ? Charlie Conway was a REAL captain. He gave away his spot so that Russ Tyler could bring his knuckle puck shot !!! He did what was best for the team ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Saw this and immediately wanted to post nearly the same thing. CR had been saying it should take another game or two, and I agreed, but now with this development, hell no. In interviews, Seabrook even acknowledged he needed to play better since his last 10 were lackluster.

Not certain but he might wear an "A" but the letter shouldn't be the driving factor. It is, but no one should be above being called out for playing poorly.

Actually, I said it would probably take about 10 more games before he'd get scratched (though I wouldn't be against it if it happened within three games out of the bye, if we see more of the same).  I still think it's not happening right away, for the same reasons that I detailed before.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually, I said it would probably take about 10 more games before he'd get scratched (though I wouldn't be against it if it happened within three games out of the bye, if we see more of the same).  I still think it's not happening right away, for the same reasons that I detailed before.

Yeah, I severely misquoted you, my apologies. I had just finished up a 6 hour instruction/demo...

The sad thing is I think we're stuck with the offsides challenge, regardless of how much everyone hates it. It seems the league is dead set on keeping it. I just hope common sense prevails, because this is the new crease rule, and it's ruining the game.

• Like 1