Jump to content

2017-2018 Out of Town Thread


Daniel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Can someone explain to me what in the hell Ottawa is doing? They moved essentially two 1sts and a 3rd to upgrade Turris to Duchene, and Duchene is not THAT much better than Turris.

EDIT: Also, not to mention, Turris has been one of the more clutch Senators in the playoffs in recent memory.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Can someone explain to me what in the hell Ottawa is doing? They moved essentially two 1sts and a 3rd to upgrade Turris to Duchene, and Duchene is not THAT much better than Turris.

They get an extra year of Duchene and perhaps better shot at signing him long term or flipping him for other assets.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Daniel said:

They get an extra year of Duchene and perhaps better shot at signing him long term or flipping him for other assets.  

That's not worth two 1st rounders though, and even so, I always got the impression from TSN panels that Turris wanted to stay in Ottawa, just the Sens never put forth much effort in getting him signed. I would be pretty annoyed at this trade if I was a Senators fan, it just seems like an awful management of assets to JOE SAKIC of all GM's.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Preds are looking scary out West now, when they're all healthy they have a center core of Johansen-Turris-Bonino and a defense of Josi-Ellis-Subban-Ekholm, that team wants another shot at the cup badly.

Rinne playing great too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Preds are looking scary out West now, when they're all healthy they have a center core of Johansen-Turris-Bonino and a defense of Josi-Ellis-Subban-Ekholm, that team wants another shot at the cup badly.

They haven't looked great to start the season. They need more skill on the wings and a more consistent Pekka. But they're definitely up there in terms of quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, other than protecting Jarnkrok over James Neal in the expansion draft, Poile has been killing it over the last few years, especially with the big trades. Center depth looks great and they keep the big 4 on D intact.   Wait until next year when they add that Tolveinen kid that has been tearing up the KHL as a teenager.  The Preds look like they're set up for a nice 5 year cup window.

I feel like Ottawa gave up a lot for what i would consider a slight upgrade at center but then again, they're getting probably the best player in the trade, so that usually turns out well. 

Sakic did a pretty good job getting a haul to hopefully dig himself out of this self inflicted mess but these quantity deals almost always look better at the time of the trade than a few years later when half of the assets never amount to anything.   For their sake, Girard better be closer to the next Ryan Ellis than the next Jonathan Blum.      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Wow, other than protecting Jarnkrok over James Neal in the expansion draft, Poile has been killing it over the last few years, especially with the big trades. Center depth looks great and they keep the big 4 on D intact.   Wait until next year when they add that Tolveinen kid that has been tearing up the KHL as a teenager.  The Preds look like they're set up for a nice 5 year cup window.

No doubt Shero picked up a thing or two under Poile during his time in Nashville. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone remember how exactly Duchene came to become unhappy in Colorado? I remember comments coming out that someone on the team said it wasn't fun coming to the rink last season, it was probably him. Was he just tired of losing, or was there an incident, or was he unhappy that he was brought up in trade talks, or what? 

Edit: Duchene looks like the biggest a$$hole in the world, I just want to punch him in his face. I remember him being interviewed on NHL Network couple years ago in the old studio when they were here to play the Devils, and just hating him. At his press conference in Ottawa, he put his jersey on halfway, reached to his hair to make sure he didn't mess it up, and finished putting it on. Erik Johnson sounded happy enough to see him go. Now Colorado can move on, they still have excellent young pieces.

Edited by thecoffeecake
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hate to say I told you so about this one, but Barzal is killing it right now, and in 2015 I really wanted us to draft him with that #6 pick. He was projected to go to us pretty much until draft day when word started to come through that his stock had fallen. Great move by the Isles trading up to grab him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Does anyone remember how exactly Duchene came to become unhappy in Colorado? I remember comments coming out that someone on the team said it wasn't fun coming to the rink last season, it was probably him. Was he just tired of losing, or was there an incident, or was he unhappy that he was brought up in trade talks, or what? 

I think Sakic has just been letting the rumors fly for years and that'll get you uneasy in a hurry. I believe he was an Avs fan growing up so something must've happened.  Also remember after he scored 30 goals, when Roy ripped him in the press for doing so - that had to suck. 

From Nov 2015: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/matt-duchene-colorado-avalanche-joe-sakic-trade-rumours/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Does anyone remember how exactly Duchene came to become unhappy in Colorado? I remember comments coming out that someone on the team said it wasn't fun coming to the rink last season, it was probably him. Was he just tired of losing, or was there an incident, or was he unhappy that he was brought up in trade talks, or what? 

Edit: Duchene looks like the biggest a$$hole in the world, I just want to punch him in his face. I remember him being interviewed on NHL Network couple years ago in the old studio when they were here to play the Devils, and just hating him. At his press conference in Ottawa, he put his jersey on halfway, reached to his hair to make sure he didn't mess it up, and finished putting it on. Erik Johnson sounded happy enough to see him go. Now Colorado can move on, they still have excellent young pieces.

I remember reading that he wasn't having fun and he wanted to be on a playoff team and vaguely remember something involving Roy when he coached there. He just seemed generally unhappy, you know...like most people at their jobs. At least he made a million dollar paycheck and went home to a hot wife. 

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I remember reading that he wasn't having fun and he wanted to be on a playoff team and vaguely remember something involving Roy when he coached there. He just seemed generally unhappy, you know...like most people at their jobs. At least he made a million dollar paycheck and went home to a hot wife. 

Seriously, that's what I think about when these guys complain about being on a certain team. You're going to uproot your entire life because you're not having enough fun playing professional hockey? Imagine if your spouse was like "hey we're moving to Ottawa immediately so I can do the same job for the same amount of money." Yea, I'll see you at Christmas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Seriously, that's what I think about when these guys complain about being on a certain team. You're going to uproot your entire life because you're not having enough fun playing professional hockey? Imagine if your spouse was like "hey we're moving to Ottawa immediately so I can do the same job for the same amount of money." Yea, I'll see you at Christmas.

I don't recall him really complaining all that much, although at some point he might have requested a trade.  I can't really hold it against him.  The Avs have been absolutely dreadful, and it doesn't help when the coach and management don't do much to dispel rumors that you're soft, etc.  They were more or less doing that with every player on the team except for MacKinnon.  

Also, from everything you hear, Denver is a city that a lot of players would like to play in, all things being equal.  So it seems like it would take a lot to make a player try to get out of there. 

Seems like it was a good result for all teams involved, except for Ottawa if Duchene doesn't really kill it there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I don't recall him really complaining all that much, although at some point he might have requested a trade.  I can't really hold it against him.  The Avs have been absolutely dreadful, and it doesn't help when the coach and management don't do much to dispel rumors that you're soft, etc.  They were more or less doing that with every player on the team except for MacKinnon.  

Also, from everything you hear, Denver is a city that a lot of players would like to play in, all things being equal.  So it seems like it would take a lot to make a player try to get out of there. 

Seems like it was a good result for all teams involved, except for Ottawa if Duchene doesn't really kill it there. 

Yea Ottawa gave up a lot, it'll look really bad if he walks. Especially considering the rumor is they had to move turris to bring him in because of their internal cap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Does anyone remember how exactly Duchene came to become unhappy in Colorado? I remember comments coming out that someone on the team said it wasn't fun coming to the rink last season, it was probably him. Was he just tired of losing, or was there an incident, or was he unhappy that he was brought up in trade talks, or what? 

OK, here ya go - from NHL.com: 

"I've got eight [Stanley Cup] Playoff games to my name right now and for me that's not where I want to be at this point of my career," Duchene, 26, said Monday. "I only get one shot at this. I only get to play this game for however long my body lets me play it."

That is why Duchene last Christmas asked for a trade from the Colorado Avalanche, a wish that was granted Sunday when he was sent to the Ottawa Senators in a three-team trade that saw Kyle Turris go from Ottawa to the Nashville Predators.

"First of all, asking for a trade out of Colorado from Joe Sakic, who was my idol as a kid, was the hardest thing I ever had to do," Duchene said. "It was something I sat on for a long time. I wanted to see how things panned out, and last year when it happened, it was around the time that I saw the writing on the wall in terms of the future of that franchise in terms of the rest of my contract.

"We had a horrific year last year and I could see a rebuild coming and it was something I'd been a part of multiple times and I just couldn't do it. I wanted to play playoff hockey. I also wanted to give Joe the chance to move me before his back was against the wall so he could do what was best for his team."

https://www.nhl.com/news/matt-duchene-sees-shot-at-stanley-cup-with-ottawa-senators/c-292678434

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.